SKK Problem Techniques

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
My 6 week old baby told me she wanted a car so i had to run the camp to start putting money away..hahah
Remember the mantra from your black belt test: "it's only the beginning".....
Car, pony, faster car, bigger pony, new phone.....new dresses, hairdo's nails...AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH..
All worth it though....
My youngest has decided to move home to continue college locally....(after being away)...and though it probably means additional cash outlay....I am stoked that she'll be home......girls are special.....

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember the mantra from your black belt test: "it's only the beginning".....
Car, pony, faster car, bigger pony, new phone.....new dresses, hairdo's nails...AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH..
All worth it though....
My youngest has decided to move home to continue college locally....(after being away)...and though it probably means additional cash outlay....I am stoked that she'll be home......girls are special.....

Def. great--
So back to problem tech... I do not like 14, maybe its just my problem but i do not like it.
Also combo #5 block i am not a fan of either. Chicken wrist knife hand simo.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Def. great--
So back to problem tech... I do not like 14, maybe its just my problem but i do not like it.

When I look at 5 I see alternatives. Off beat timing on the knife hand and chicken wrist so that the knife blocks and the cw hyperextends the arm. Sort of hidden technique so to speak.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon, does your #39 have a kick in it? mine does not? your qoute was in question of Lawdogs kicking distance.

my 39 does not have a kick, Jesse. What i was refering to in Lawdog's post was timing and distance for the "next" strike not specifically a kick.or perhaps i misunderstood. I was using 39 as an example b/c if you do not touch and move the person your footwork will not work..and if you are touching and moving the person with your strikes there is a lot of foot work.

respectfully,
Marlon

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Def. great--

We do these two techniques with variations.

#14:
- Move right foot back to left foot forward fighting stance
- #2 open hand block
- Right front thrust kick to midsection
- Step back to left foot forward fighting stance.
- Left back kick to second opponent
(we also practice this technique in its original format)

- Turn CCW 90 degrees to left foot forward cat stance
- #3 outward block/strike to opponents arm
- Step down on left foot, step into hrse stance with right foot into opponents center
- Back two knuckle punch
- Right leg replacement side kick

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do these two techniques with variations.

- Turn CCW 90 degrees to left foot forward cat stance
- #3 outward block/strike to opponents arm
- Step down on left foot, step into hrse stance with right foot into opponents center
- Back two knuckle punch
- Right leg replacement side kick

Did you mean #2 outward block?
I have hands on gaurd, L step blocking with LT knife hand block close to the body then thrusting out, catching and then doing a chicken wrist / upward ridge hand strike above elbow, then finish tech. same with back punch/backfist side kick

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We don't do that block anymore, but substitute a circular block with the right then left ...

But I do like the original. I was taught that it was a wrist trap/break rather than a push. Imagine the knife hand forcing the metacarpals to point down while the chicken wrist drives up under the wrist towards 10:30. The left captures the outside of the hand and rotates it inward while the right drops a backfist straight down on the inside of the wrist. It's supposed to be a double break. It sounds goofy and is hard to visualize, but it works.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon,
I discovered that the neutral width stances, when applied to footwork, measured out properly,(zones), to always bring you to the main balance point for your kicks and knees. This will also bring you into proper range for all of your elbow and hand stikes.
The key was to set up, (bench mark), the starting point for the zones. This starting point is set by an individuals forward arm reach. Once this personalized location is known the footwork simply falls into place.
:ultracool

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon,
I discovered that the neutral width stances, when applied to footwork, measured out properly,(zones), to always bring you to the main balance point for your kicks and knees. This will also bring you into proper range for all of your elbow and hand stikes.
The key was to set up, (bench mark), the starting point for the zones. This starting point is set by an individuals forward arm reach. Once this personalized location is known the footwork simply falls into place.
:ultracool

thanks Lawdog,
in my experience i find not enough people 'follow' the attacker once contact is initiated. in that they do not realistically take into account the way the strikes will change the body positioning and spacial positioning of the attacker. and in many cases there is a lack of footwork for such adjustments. I like thwe way you you describe the measuring out, i would like to add (although i am sure you meant it) that this is an active process and not statically defined from the initial contact position.
Again this is an excellent point you have brought up and something easily neglected in teaching.
Respectfully,
marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thanks Lawdog,
in my experience i find not enough people 'follow' the attacker once contact is initiated. in that they do not realistically take into account the way the strikes will change the body positioning and spacial positioning of the attacker.

If you are actually moving your partner with your strikes and manipulations, how can you NOT take these things into account?

After watching kenpoJoe's karazenpo videos I asked him why his attacker was not reacting to the strikes; he said it was to preerve the way the techs were historically taught. :/

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are actually moving your partner with your strikes and manipulations, how can you NOT take these things into account?

After watching kenpoJoe's karazenpo videos I asked him why his attacker was not reacting to the strikes; he said it was to preerve the way the techs were historically taught. :/

unfortuneately what kenpojoe did for a video is what many instructors do and call it teaching. Many people do not move thier partner when practicing therefore many never see that there is anything more to take into account. And then many practice with a overly cooperative partner and this sucks also. It does not help kempo's reputation much when people teach and practice this way. I know at least that Master Dwire, master Hatch, and master Barnes in the East train in a truthful manner and represent kempo effectively..../It seems that Lawdog does also!

Respectfully,
marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many people do not move thier partner when practicing therefore many never see that there is anything more to take into account. And then many practice with a overly cooperative partner and this sucks also.

Even in super-slow motion with littel or no contact I prefer to simulate the reactions even at the earliest stage of learning. Dr Crouch once wrote about pushing the weapon into the target - it's less painful but still can generate the reactions.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

David, that video was done strictly for historical purposes on the difference of the technique as originally done. I did not give reactionary positioning due to the fact that this video was not done to teach the technique to someone who did not already have the skk version.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
unfortuneately what kenpojoe did for a video is what many instructors do and call it teaching. Many people do not move thier partner when practicing therefore many never see that there is anything more to take into account. And then many practice with a overly cooperative partner and this sucks also. It does not help kempo's reputation much when people teach and practice this way. I know at least that Master Dwire, master Hatch, and master Barnes in the East train in a truthful manner and represent kempo effectively..../It seems that Lawdog does also!

Respectfully,
marlon

Marlon I can assure you that I train dilegently and with plenty of contact, but words are words and look forward to training with you at the next seminar or workout we attend together.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon I can assure you that I train dilegently and with plenty of contact, but words are words and look forward to training with you at the next seminar or workout we attend together.

JT first i am not anyone that you need to explain to at all. my post had nothing to do with anyone specifically on the forum and certainly was not directed at you. If i have something to say i am usually very direct. from all the discussions i have seen you involved in you seem top be a very respectable martial; artist. I understand and agree with Kenpojoe's reasoning for the video and the historical perspective. My criticism is about a different kind of practice. Regardless, i look forward to trainign with you and fully expect it to be fun, educational and bruising!!! :)

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even in super-slow motion with littel or no contact I prefer to simulate the reactions even at the earliest stage of learning. Dr Crouch once wrote about pushing the weapon into the target - it's less painful but still can generate the reactions.

agreed.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Def. great--
Same here (#5) I have a different block:...take the right hand wrist block from the front of the left sword and place it behind the sword....flip it up to a plam ....or palm....ALmost fortress like....
With the original way I learned 5 (same as yours??) we stopped the attacking with a hard striking block then did the backfist side kick throat...
What I do now is lift hands as if I got caught off guard and I make soft contact...keeping his weight coming towards me...then I finish the technique...

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
JT first i am not anyone that you need to explain to at all. my post had nothing to do with anyone specifically on the forum and certainly was not directed at you. If i have something to say i am usually very direct. from all the discussions i have seen you involved in you seem top be a very respectable martial; artist. I understand and agree with Kenpojoe's reasoning for the video and the historical perspective. My criticism is about a different kind of practice. Regardless, i look forward to trainign with you and fully expect it to be fun, educational and bruising!!! :)

respectfully,
Marlon

I do understand that some may not study "truthfully" as you put it, but I don't think it is unique to east coast or skk. I have met 10th dans that if they didn't have a belt on I would guess them for brown belts and I have met yellow belts that look like black belts.

Hopefully there will be a good turn out for all of us at Master Hatch's in August.....

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Same here (#5) I have a different block:...take the right hand wrist block from the front of the left sword and place it behind the sword....flip it up to a plam ....or palm....ALmost fortress like....
With the original way I learned 5 (same as yours??) we stopped the attacking with a hard striking block then did the backfist side kick throat...
What I do now is lift hands as if I got caught off guard and I make soft contact...keeping his weight coming towards me...then I finish the technique...

soft contact such as this i use quite a bit. i love having someone run into my strikes!!

respectfully,
marlon

Latest Discussions