Simply to Simplify

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, now I know from mentioning this guy in the other thread, his name is not met with anything that resembles fondness. However, I want to bring up something he said because, for me, it was another "lightbulb" type of moment.

In one of the Emin videos I watched, he mentioned how he didn't worry about the kind of attack that someone used against him. Instead, he just worried about angles.

Now in my opinion, one of the key features of Wing Chun is "simplicity." So for me, what he said clicked automatically. I was like, "Wow! Instead of worrying about the dozens of different ways someone could attack me, I worry about angles of attack? Well, shoot...there are a lot LESS of those!" It just made sense to me, and that idea seems to be in line with what I feel is one of (if not the) most important features of Wing Chun.

Naturally, I am sure there will be lots of disagreement. However, I hope it is respectful disagreement. Don't let hatred of Emin turn your responses into ones filled with bile toward ME. I'm just sharing a thought I had.

I think any instructor though with actual fighting experience addresses the same general concept though. I think this is where the "teacher" and not the "art" comes in. Example, I watch videos of some of certain Sifu's in my lineage and they can be concerned about this specific attack or that. Other's (luckily I study from a couple of them) simply say things like "the other hand is coming" and practice entries and methods that cover multiple angles of attack; high, low, middle and that can adapt to whether they are coming inside or outside the guard.

Not trying to say Emin's ideas aren't good ones, only saying some of his ideas aren't "new" to the WC world sometimes its just a matter of how the idea is expressed.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Emin was my Si-Fu for 10 years. As dynamic as he appears on video, until you've stood across from him.....

Emin and....what is the Hungarian's name?....Mantorun...something? They both look like beasts that I wouldn't want coming after me! ;)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Emin and....what is the Hungarian's name?....Mantorun...something? They both look like beasts that I wouldn't want coming after me! ;)

I think you nay be referring to Norbert Maday....and I wholeheartedly agree,
I wouldn't have to worry about fighting either of them, I'd drop dead of a heart attack.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think any instructor though with actual fighting experience addresses the same general concept though. I think this is where the "teacher" and not the "art" comes in. Example, I watch videos of some of certain Sifu's in my lineage and they can be concerned about this specific attack or that. Other's (luckily I study from a couple of them) simply say things like "the other hand is coming" and practice entries and methods that cover multiple angles of attack; high, low, middle and that can adapt to whether they are coming inside or outside the guard.

Not trying to say Emin's ideas aren't good ones, only saying some of his ideas aren't "new" to the WC world sometimes its just a matter of how the idea is expressed.

Right, and I am not saying he is new either. However, he is new to ME...meaning I never heard it that way until I stumbled across his video.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The "deal with the angles" thing is pretty much standard Hoch Hocheim and FMA.

Emin's pretty good. Just don't mention Jon Bluming.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jon Bluming - Wikipedia

What's he got to do with Emin? Left as a (fairly simple) exercise for the reader.

Now that guy is a beast. I have two grades of great fighters. 1. The one who could kill me. 2. The one who could kill me, raise me from the dead just to kill me again. He falls into #2.

Latest Discussions