Silat in NYC, LI area?

pictureboy

White Belt
Reaction score
HI,

I just stumbled on this forum while looking for a school. I used to live and breath MA when I was younger but life got complicated for a time and I slipped away from it.
I would very much like to get back into the swing of things and am particularly interested Silat. I would like to find a school in the NYC/ eastern Long Island are. I have met guru Yana and liked him but am looking for a different syle.
Failing that, I would be interested in anyone willing to do some distance learning with me through Pak Victor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Eric

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try Tuhon Roberto Torres:
http://www.taliosilat.com/

I don't know Mr. Torres, but he has been teaching Silat in NY metro area for awhile. :asian:

OP
P

pictureboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I studied with Guru Torres in the past and enjoyed his teaching very much, unfortunately he only seems to teach privates and seminars these days.

I'll just have to keep looking!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yani was teaching (Perisai Diri?) in Manhattan the last I heard. And there was a Mande Muda guy in LI at least as of a couple years ago. With all the changes in the Suwanda family I have no idea how to get a hold of him.

If you're interested in the best martial arts in the area and aren't married to Silat let me recommend Phil Messina's superb school Modern Warrior in Lindenhurst. Phil really is about 20% larger than life. His art and his school are in a class by themselves.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're interested in Silat, then I'd stick with Roberto Torres. Privates are expensive but life is short!

Re. Filipino martial arts, Rob Mulligan teaches in Amityville (Nassau County). He teaches Pananandata.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Latest Discussions