Shoulder injury

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just wondering how common is it for martial artists with shoulder injuries that end up requiring some form of surgical repair?

Ceicei

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoulder injuries are very common, surgical repair is a personal choice. I tore my rotor cuff many years ago very badly, but decided against surgery. It did heal in time, and after 25 years I still need to watch how I use the shoulder at certain times, but all in all it is fine. I have talked to people that elected to have the repair done, and some are no better off. After seeing my doctor those many years ago, he gave me three choices, (1) surgery, (2) do nothing, (3) go home and rehab it myself. I did number (3), that was my personal choice............

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, my right shoulder now has been in fairly constant pain the past couple of months and gets dislocated fairly often, sometimes at inopportune moments.

I did go see a chiropractor, initially thinking at first (because of the pain) that it might be a pinched nerve.

He did fix my left shoulder that had a burning pain which differs from the sharp pain felt by my right. Apparently my left was compensating for my right.

It didn't take the chiropractor long to declare that my right shoulder most likely has a rotator cuff injury and there wasn't anything more he could do to help that shoulder--he cannot fix what is torn. At the very least, he did succeed in reducing pain.

I have an appointment with a surgeon on March 7th and see what he says.

Ceicei

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seeing a good surgeon is the right way to go. Back in 1996, while driving to work I was sideswiped by an 18-wheeler. Screwed up my shoulder something fierce. I tried to get it back in condition on my own, but no luck. The surgeon said that my shoulder wasn't broken the way a pencil would snap, rather it had compressed and splintered slightly. Every time I tried to use my arm, I was making it worse (he said). Surgery and rehab were a long, slow process, but better than losing the use of my arm altogether.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my right shoulder now has been in fairly constant pain the past couple of months and gets dislocated fairly often, sometimes at inopportune moments.

I did go see a chiropractor, initially thinking at first (because of the pain) that it might be a pinched nerve.

He did fix my left shoulder that had a burning pain which differs from the sharp pain felt by my right. Apparently my left was compensating for my right.

It didn't take the chiropractor long to declare that my right shoulder most likely has a rotator cuff injury and there wasn't anything more he could do to help that shoulder--he cannot fix what is torn. At the very least, he did succeed in reducing pain.

I have an appointment with a surgeon on March 7th and see what he says.

Ceicei

It sounds like your chiropractor is smarter than some. I know of some who claim they can fix your gallstones with a spinal manipulation. Makes as much sense as me offering to fix your backpain by putting in a chest tube.

Shoulder injuries are really very common. If your shoulder has dislocated more than 3-4 times, you really do need to see a surgeon. Every time it dislocates, the joint will get looser. While this means it'll be easier for us to put it back, it also means it'll be easier for it to dislocate again. Which is lots of fun...
The first couple of times, rehab is an option. But from the sounds of what you've written, surgery to tighten the ligaments is really the only option you have.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure you've heard the old saying, when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. In my experience, the only answer you are likely to get from a surgeon is that you need surgery. And certainly in some cases, that is absolutely true and the very best treatment for the problem.

However, I tend to work from least invasive treatments up to the more invasive ones, to see if some lower level "cure" can fix the problem. By all means, talk with your surgeon. But you might also want to consider consulting with an experienced physical therapist who is familiar with sports injuries. Depending on exactly what is wrong in your particular case, it might be something that you could substantially improve by strengthening various muscles to help hold your shoulder in place better, which would allow it to heal more thoroughly.

In my experience, I have seen both outcomes; those where the damage could be healed through massage or physical therapy, and those where surgical removal of damaged tissue and perhaps reattachment of certain tendons or ligaments was warranted. The shoulder is such a complex structure that every case is unique. Factors that vary include how strong and healthy your muscle tissue was prior to injury, the type of injury, the tissues that were injured, whether you have reinjured that area repeatedly, the skill of the surgeon and procedure done, how well you follow rehab rules, how well your current metabolism supports healing, and how you plan to use the shoulder once healed. So while it can be helpful to hear others' stories about their shoulder injuries, keep in mind that yours will probably be somewhat different.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw the surgeon yesterday; he had x-rays taken with three views. They didn't show anything, so tomorrow I'm having an MRI. Hopefully, the MRI will show what exactly the problem is with my shoulder.

I'm hoping for a positive resolution...

Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got the results back yesterday of my MRI from Friday.

Found I have three tears...glenoid labrum, glenohumeral ligament, and supraspinatus tendon. Also found tendinosis of the infraspinatus tendon.

Depressing. Surgery will happen in April.

Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The good thing is that once I've recovered fully after four months, I should be able to return to doing the activities I love: Kenpo, Jujitsu, and underground caving.

Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't resist... Is there aboveground caving? ;)

I laughed. It does sound like an oxymoron.

I suppose many probably don't realize there is underwater caving, and I was making that distinction.

Ceicei

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I suppose many probably don't realize there is underwater caving, and I was making that distinction.

Ceicei

Cave diving is awesome. But certainly not for everyone. One of the maxims of cave diving is "there are no accidents in cave diving. Only fatalities".

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. :)

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cave diving is awesome. But certainly not for everyone. One of the maxims of cave diving is "there are no accidents in cave diving. Only fatalities".

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. :)
Thank you!

Ceicei

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Ceicei

I actually do know someone who does underwater caving, as well as hole-in-the-dirt caving. In fact, she was somehow involved with the true story behind that movie about underwater caving a couple of years ago...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually do know someone who does underwater caving, as well as hole-in-the-dirt caving. In fact, she was somehow involved with the true story behind that movie about underwater caving a couple of years ago...

Sanctum was not even based on a true story. It was a Hollywood story inspired by the story of a group of people who were trapped for a couple of days in a cave in Australia. They were filming a cave diving documentary when a storm caused a rockslide which blocked the entrance. They waited. They were dug out. As I recall, nobody died, and I do not think anybody was badly injured. Scared half to death, I bet, but not badly injured.

About the only real connection between the real story and the movie is a cave, a storm and divers. The actual events were completely made up. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" had about as much basis in reality.

Agnes Milwoka, who was the stunt diver for the women in that movie, and one of the most respected women in cave diving, died diving in a cave shortly after the movie came out. Details of these things are rarely known, but from what IS known, it's clear that she violated a number of the most basic safety standards of cave diving. Including leaving her buddy, not running a line, and leaving half her air behind at a restriction. It was a sobering reminder that even the best get complacent and make rookie mistakes.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know the whole story or accuracy of the movie. I posted all I knew. My friend was more involved than simply knowing the real people but I couldn't say what.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had shoulder surgery on April 19th. Surgery went well in repairing the three tears. However, a bone spur next to a tear also was discovered that previously wasn't recognized with the MRI, so that had to be removed as well. Surgery anticipated to take 1-1/2 to 2 hours ended up taking 3 hours instead.

Took percocet for pain, cephalexin as an antibiotic, promethazine for nausea (didn't really need this, only took once), and aspirin (I think this was to prevent clotting or something like that).

The ability of moving around with my shoulder was difficult and I felt zoned out. I had to take maximum percocet as minimum wasn't working.

This week, I'm finally off all medication. My shoulder still hurts, but pain is now bearable.

A friend from my jujitsu dojo persuaded me to try some Nikken Kenko Power Patches on my shoulder (patches that contain a small magnetic disc applied directly to skin). They are supposed to help reduce pain. All I feel are these magnetic discs generating a heat/fire sensation, but not much else. Pain didn't seem to be less, but I don't mind the heat sensation.

I'm scheduled to start physical therapy next week.

My range of motion is improving each day. I find, as of today, I'm finally able to slowly do a lower part of the star block (blocking set). It'll be a great day when I can slowly complete (the upper part of) the star block set with my right side--that day will come soon, maybe within a few days. I'm not yet able to do the striking set. Soon....

Maybe when I start physical therapy, it'll be better or easier.

I'm impatient to get back to martial arts, but my surgeon doesn't want me to return actively training with either Kenpo or Jujitsu for six months. He says if I want to get my shoulder back to being better than it was (prior to my injury), I need to make sure it is fully healed by at least six months. He says I'm very rough with my shoulder and the extensive damage shows this. Faithful and consistent therapy while healing is what he wants.

Anyway, that's my progress sooooo far.

Ceicei

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend from my jujitsu dojo persuaded me to try some Nikken Kenko Power Patches on my shoulder (patches that contain a small magnetic disc applied directly to skin). They are supposed to help reduce pain. All I feel are these magnetic discs generating a heat/fire sensation, but not much else. Pain didn't seem to be less, but I don't mind the heat sensation.

I'm impatient to get back to martial arts, but my surgeon doesn't want me to return actively training with either Kenpo or Jujitsu for six months. He says if I want to get my shoulder back to being better than it was (prior to my injury), I need to make sure it is fully healed by at least six months. He says I'm very rough with my shoulder and the extensive damage shows this. Faithful and consistent therapy while healing is what he wants.
Good to hear it all went well. :)

Don't hang on magnets working. They're a bit like 'Power Bands', mainly in the mind.

As for the healing time. This is one time I would be giving it time. Keep working on aerobic fitness and core strength but be really careful with the upper body work. A good physiotherapist should be included in your close circle of friends for the next six months. Backs and shoulders have my full respect.

Cheers. :asian:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always been interesting (to me) to see how evenly people seem to be divided between those who think magnetic fields will cure all ills, and those who think magnetic fields cause their ills.

There's no solid science to support either theory.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.