Should Ed Parker be less significant today ... since it's been almost 13 years now?

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
You got that right!!
:asian:

Oh man, I just got a flash...... If there were no Ed Parker.... I might have ended up studying under Mr. Castillo the TkD Interplanetary Champion! Wow...... the possibilities.....

:D

Oh sure, then I woulda been tossed aside like an old shoe.:(

C

CoolKempoDude

1a-Ok, I agree with you, but who do you consider "OUR"? I know that with my group I do teach Kenpo the same as when I did if Ed Paker were alive today. He liked what I taught way back when, I'm sure he would approve today. I think this holds true also for many others as well. They in turn are dioing exactly what you say ... "Carry on His Legacy and Improve it as they see fit".

who do I consider "OUR"??? every Ed Parker's student

1b- The only difference is there is not an Ed Parker to go to demonstrate what we are doing any longer.

absolutely right. Instead of telling everybody he is this or that, what we should do is keep him in our heart and mind and continue contributing to kenpo community

2-Once again, I agree, but I think several are addressing this with cross training or seekiing out Deeper Kenpo instruction for certain areas that could use some updating.

this can be a very HOT *topic* to debate as well. Look. If you remember a few threads about this topic in the past, some AK people claim AK works and there is no need to study another Art and some AK said it doesn't work.

you know what happened in the end

if you mention about cross training and say this techniques in AK doesn't work, i hope you run FAST

i think that this is something students and teachers and other *senior members* need to discuss OPENLY and FRIENDLY.

Frankly, i don't like cross training because i don't want to pay more than 1 *art* to learn how to defend myself

this is a very touchy subject. I would not touch my hand on this issue . I don't want the entire AK community AFTER me :D:D

3-Agreed, again but sometimes we have to respond to these issues that are brought up and students ask questions.

good valid point. People claim ***** NOWSDAY. I don't know who is who any more

4-Yes, there are many agendas out there! It does make it confusing for many.

talking about confusing.....:soapbox:

this can also be EXTREMEly *hot* topic to talk about. I don't know about you BUT I Don't want to put my hand on this touchy subject.

the last thing i want people to tell me is i don't know anything. :eek: :eek:

5-I for one am doing just that, and I'm sure several others are of the same thoughts.

I'm glad to hear that. You do what you have to do. Keep up the good work !

When your students or other look back a few years from now on, it will be satisfaction for you to see that your students continue to carry on the legacy that ed parker and you left behind.

People will remember you as they still remember Ed Parker for what you have done and for who you are

don't forget to have FUN

:D :D ;)

C

CoolKempoDude

If there were no Ed Parker.... I might have ended up studying under Mr. Castillo the TkD Interplanetary Champion! Wow...... the possibilities.....

the possibilities is endless:D :D :D :D AND I am not sure IF you are still Golden any more ????:D :D

C

CoolKempoDude

Ah haaahaahahahaaahaa roflmao..... oh man.. stop, you're killing me..... I have to run to the bathroom... before I pee on my CPU.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i guess *generousity* doesn't come easily, SPECIALLY from GoldenDragon7???:D :D :D

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
the possibilities is endless:D :D :D :D AND I am not sure IF you are still Golden any more ????:D :D

Well, truth be known. When I went to see the Goldenone a couple of years back, he had a TKD uniform in his closet. Brand new, in fact!:eek:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Well, truth be known. When I went to see the Goldenone a couple of years back, he had a TKD uniform in his closet. Brand new, in fact!:eek:

Ahhhhhhhh now you've gone and done it......... YOU Promised not to tell anyone!

Oh the shame, the humiliation, the hemorrhoids...

C

CoolKempoDude

did you see his white belt ????:D :D

C

CoolKempoDude

It was a Black Belt!:eek:

It said, "Master Instructor."

do you know where he got his BB in TKD? i hope it is not from YOU
he OWNS you and me lunch and dinner of our choice, don't you agree?

he doesn't say AMEN to me, perhaps, you can give me your AMEN

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Origin. posted by CoolKempoDude
if you mention about cross training...
or say this techniques in AK doesn't work...
or ask who is who....
or question agendas.....

Go ahead and ask....... I don't have problems with these topics..... but yes others may or may not like the answers they see, but what can you do, but give your point of view as you see it.

I have been involved in debates in which the other person that is disagreeing with me, does not have all the facts that I have or had been involved in the issue the same as myself, but for what ever reason, was steadfast in their stand and would not offer any other solution then his own. Well, there is no winning that type of disagreement. You must move on and just disagree.

We all are not going to agree on everything, and since we cannot demonstrate movements with each other thru this medium we are restricted or limited to some degree. Once we work out together, all will have a better understanding or at least a better shot at an "agreement".

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
do you know where he got his BB in TKD? i hope it is not from YOU
he OWNS you and me lunch and dinner of our choice, don't you agree?

he doesn't say AMEND to me, perhaps, you can give me your AMEN

Well, I am qualified, but he has no faith in MA from Texas.

He does owe me lunch for sure, AMEN!:cool:

C

CoolKempoDude

He does owe me lunch for sure, AMEN!:cool:

don't forget to let me know when he takes you to lunch

AMEN??:D

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has no faith in MA from Texas.

That's not True...... let me see.... there is Billings
Duffy
Abernathy
Castro
Lone Wolf
Skipper Mullins
Dennis Goucher
Gary Swan
Ray McCallum
Linda Denley
George Minshew
Mary Pickford
Sam Huston
Colin Duffy
Castillo
Alvarado
Roy Kurban
Alan Steen
man the list goes on with great Texans...

:rofl:

C

CoolKempoDude

yes others may or may not like the answers they see, but what can you do, but give your point of view as you see it.

i simply speak out with PASSION;) :cool:

people don't like what i say:soapbox: :soapbox:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
QUOTE]Orig. posted by CoolKempoDude
Let me know when he takes you to lunch AMEN??:D
[/QUOTE]

I'M GONNA EAT HIS LUNCH IN A MINUTE!!!!!
:apv:
:)

C

CoolKempoDude

I'M GONNA EAT HIS LUNCH IN A MINUTE!!!!!
:apv:
:)

i better hide my lunch and dinner before you get here:biggun: :sniper: :tank:

K

Kenpomachine

Well, as a spaniard living in Spain, we haven't had so many opportunities as in the States to knew the man.

We have been having political issues since I was a yellow belt 16 years ago, and due to the distance to the source, we've been going through something similar of what is going on there, though in a different scale.

We even had a different program (but same techniques), but as tournaments have shown along the way the quality of kenpoists has been there.

I mean, we knew we were doing EPAK, and that was all. Ed Parker was remote to most of us, but it weren't a legend that I know of. He was the founder and developer of the system, and besides that he was a man.

Perhaps it was the distance that gave us some perspective on the art as a separate entity from the man that develop it? I mean, when you raise a child, you do your best, but you know that it will have to mature by him/herself alone, and that you have to give him/her tools to endure once you're not there anymore to help.

Hope I make some sense.

Latest Discussions