Short Gi Pants

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know where on can buy short gi pants at? where the bottom is at the mid calf.

As others have suggested, take them to a tailor. Here in my area, most dry cleaners can do the work or farm it out for you, you don't have to locate an actual tailor.

I like my gi pants short because I do not enjoy the feeling of having a toe trapped in the inside seam by accident, and because the kids I help teach have to be able to see my feet when I show them which way their feet should be pointing for different stances.

In any case, I wear a size 7 gi. Those are made for guys as big around as I am, but about 10 feet tall, so I have to have about 12 inches removed from the pants anyway. I have never been able to wear a gi as it came in the package.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have suggested, take them to a tailor. Here in my area, most dry cleaners can do the work or farm it out for you, you don't have to locate an actual tailor.

I like my gi pants short because I do not enjoy the feeling of having a toe trapped in the inside seam by accident, and because the kids I help teach have to be able to see my feet when I show them which way their feet should be pointing for different stances.

In any case, I wear a size 7 gi. Those are made for guys as big around as I am, but about 10 feet tall, so I have to have about 12 inches removed from the pants anyway. I have never been able to wear a gi as it came in the package.
I just bought a new gi, and am wearing it as-is until it has been washed (and shrunk) a couple of times. While it's not nearly that much too long for me, I have always liked my gi a bit short (a few inches above the ankle, a few inches above the wrist), so this one feels like I'm wearing daddy's gi.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought a new gi, and am wearing it as-is until it has been washed (and shrunk) a couple of times. While it's not nearly that much too long for me, I have always liked my gi a bit short (a few inches above the ankle, a few inches above the wrist), so this one feels like I'm wearing daddy's gi.

I have to alter mine before I can wear it at all or I will be stumbling around like a drunk in it. It shrinks a bit after that of course, but I like the sleeves about four inches above the wrist and the pant legs half way up my calves. Just feels better that way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to alter mine before I can wear it at all or I will be stumbling around like a drunk in it. It shrinks a bit after that of course, but I like the sleeves about four inches above the wrist and the pant legs half way up my calves. Just feels better that way.
That's pretty close to the way I prefer mine. I'd pay money to watch you do kata with the legs of your gi long enough to flop around like clown shoes. :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's pretty close to the way I prefer mine. I'd pay money to watch you do kata with the legs of your gi long enough to flop around like clown shoes. :D

Will this do? Discovered a size 7 Tokiado is big even for me.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1492829593210.jpg
    FB_IMG_1492829593210.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 78

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Will this do? Discovered a size 7 Tokiado is big even for me.

I'm surprised you went with a Tokaido. Being an Okinawan practitioner, I'd have you pegged for a Shureido guy. Tokaido is the JKA/Shotokan crowd's official gi, whereas Shureido is the Okinawans' official gi.

Tokaido usually runs long and narrow, almost like a slim fit, whereas Shureido is more for us round-shaped guys.

I love the pic. Looks exactly like my Shureido K-11 did before shrinking it and tailoring it. When I put it on out of the bag, my wife laughed and said it looked like a dress. She was right. The top literally covered my knees. Several long warm washes and dryer cycles later, the top is a few inches longer than my fingertips.

Tokaido makes awesome gis. The Japan made ones anyway. I haven't seen the non-Japan made ones, so I can't vouch for them.

PS - I'm a bit of a heretic, wearing a Shureido in a Japanese organization. It just fits me so much better.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised you went with a Tokaido. Being an Okinawan practitioner, I'd have you pegged for a Shureido guy. Tokaido is the JKA/Shotokan crowd's official gi, whereas Shureido is the Okinawans' official gi.

Tokaido usually runs long and narrow, almost like a slim fit, whereas Shureido is more for us round-shaped guys.

I love the pic. Looks exactly like my Shureido K-11 did before shrinking it and tailoring it. When I put it on out of the bag, my wife laughed and said it looked like a dress. She was right. The top literally covered my knees. Several long warm washes and dryer cycles later, the top is a few inches longer than my fingertips.

Tokaido makes awesome gis. The Japan made ones anyway. I haven't seen the non-Japan made ones, so I can't vouch for them.

PS - I'm a bit of a heretic, wearing a Shureido in a Japanese organization. It just fits me so much better.

It was a closeout at Century - $50. But only size 7, no returns. Mine didn't shrink enough, I gave it away.

Personally I usually wear Century middleweight brushed cotton with elastic waist.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like my gi pants on the longish side. After a few years they shrink up just right.

Latest Discussions