Short Gi Pants

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where on can buy short gi pants at? where the bottom is at the mid calf.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Take gi pants to tailor. When I was doing jiu jitsu, I didn't like have the sleeves on my gi being full length and the gi was too thick to roll up. Quick trip to the tailor, and Walloon, just the way I wanted it.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dynamics sells summer uniforms, but I think they're even shorter than what you're looking for. If you're looking for a bunch of uniforms or pants (i.e. for a group of students), Century will custom make pretty much whatever.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just hem them up yourself, if you don't know how to do that then try a tailor like Frank said.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, the 1960's. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
can't you solve the problem with a pair of scissors, I had a sudden desire for a sleeveless hoodie, so a sleeved hoodie and a pair of scissors later, I had my wish

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where on can buy short gi pants at? where the bottom is at the mid calf.
I just hem mine. I like the sleeves and legs shorter than most folks, so I wear them a few washes, then hem them. I get exactly the length I want, that way.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just hem mine. I like the sleeves and legs shorter than most folks, so I wear them a few washes, then hem them. I get exactly the length I want, that way.
you seriously go to the trouble of putting a hem on them, wow, I mean just wow. How does that help your martial art? I bet you iron them as well,You must be the best dressed at the dojo

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you seriously go to the trouble of putting a hem on them, wow, I mean just wow. How does that help your martial art? I bet you iron them as well,You must be the best dressed at the dojo
If you don't hem them, the pants will fray and you will look like a Grateful Dead follower. How does that help your martial art?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't hem them, the pants will fray and you will look like a Grateful Dead follower. How does that help your martial art?
, a little fray adds character and takes precisely no effort to achieve , are you suggesting a hem would improve my kicks, if not its wasted effort. If I was to wear my gi to an interview or even a first date, ot might be worth the trouble, but as that is unlikely I can't see the point. I usually turn up in cut down cargo pants and a hoodie, if its warm I don my sleeveless hoodie, its so inner city,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It keeps them from fraying, so they last longer. Iron? I never iron anything I can avoid ironing. If it's wrinkled, it needs washing again.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
, a little fray adds character and takes precisely no effort to achieve , are you suggesting a hem would improve my kicks, if not its wasted effort. If I was to wear my gi to an interview or even a first date, ot might be worth the trouble, but as that is unlikely I can't see the point. I usually turn up in cut down cargo pants and a hoodie, if its warm I don my sleeveless hoodie, its so inner city,
No, fraying doesn't "add character". It just makes it stringier. It doesn't appeal to me, and it takes a few minutes to hem them. A bit longer with the jacket because of the weight, but that's even more important to hem, so the strings aren't all over in the way of training.

I'm not sure why you have this problem with hems. I've literally never seen someone train in a gi that wasn't hemmed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, fraying doesn't "add character". It just makes it stringier. It doesn't appeal to me, and it takes a few minutes to hem them. A bit longer with the jacket because of the weight, but that's even more important to hem, so the strings aren't all over in the way of training.

I'm not sure why you have this problem with hems. I've literally never seen someone train in a gi that wasn't hemmed.
strings get in you way when training?,

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I Googled
Gi Shorts:
ProForce 6 oz. Karate Shorts Archives - Academy Of Karate - Martial Arts Supply Inc.

Or you can hire a tailor and give them this picture of Motobu Choki.
motobu-choki.jpg

As for midcalf.... we do not approve of said choice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they don't unravel like a basket, just a little bit of fraying on the edge
If they're getting tugged on, there will be strings. And our sleeves get tugged on. Just my experience - hemmed edges last much longer and look much better than unhemmed edges.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen TKD "Summer Uniforms." Short sleeves and shorts. Not t-shirt and basketball shorts, but actual uniform. I don't know how to post pictures, so google images TKD summer uniform.

Latest Discussions