Short form three

K

KenpoGirl

Heh heh, I have started to learn Short 3.

You might expect my usual whining and bitching as I learn a new for or set, but alas I have nothing to complain about :idunno: I am enjoying the form because I already know the majority of the techniques that are performed within the form. I'm about half way through it and looking forward to learning the rest.

So Hah!!! Just when you thought you knew someone, they throw you a curve ball. hee hee :boing2:

Anywise the reason for the thread ...... I just wanted your opionions and thoughts on the form any tricks of the trade to smooth it out etc......

Dot
:angel:

P.S. for those of you disappointed by my lack of whinning. I will be staring Stance Set 2 and or Finger Set 2 in the not too distant future, so you can expect a revival of my old ways when that day comes. :rofl:

OP
J

jeffkyle

Short form 3 can be a fun form! Play with the different timing on the form....there is alot you can dig up from it! :D Good luck!

OP
K

kenpoevolution

Use Short #3 as a guide to how you transition between techniques when you have multiple opponents. Try the form with actual attackers. It is good practice.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
P.S. for those of you disappointed by my lack of whinning. I will be staring Stance Set 2 and or Finger Set 2 in the not too distant future, so you can expect a revival of my old ways when that day comes. :rofl:

How much do you practice outside of the studio? Or how much time do you spend in the studio? You are learning things at a high pace especially this upper level stuff. Learn the material 1 x 1, get it down, practice it until it becomes second nature and then move onto more stuff. As for short 3 make sure your transitions are smooth, take your time while doing it.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. :D

Jason, I don't train a lot at home right now (mostly due to space issues, but I train at the school a minimum of 3 days a week for 2 hours or more at a time. I will be spending more time training at home in the near future because I'm at the point that there isn't enough time to train through all the techques during class. I am constantly going back and redoing the previous belts so that I don't forget them.

It may seem like I'm going through these quickly, and at first I probably was because I wanted to so despirately get back up to my belt rank, in the system. Now that I am training for a new rank I am taking more time to learn and master the techniques. That being said, I believe I have a very good grasp of everything I know so far, and I have not been pushing my instructor to learn more and faster, we move on when he says it's time.

I thank you for your thoughts, and your advice. :asian:

Dot

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
It may seem like I'm going through these quickly, and at first I probably was because I wanted to so despirately get back up to my belt rank, in the system. Now that I am training for a new rank I am taking more time to learn and master the techniques. That being said, I believe I have a very good grasp of everything I know so far, and I have not been pushing my instructor to learn more and faster, we move on when he says it's time.

Cool

OP
K

kenpofist2

Hey Dot,

Short 3 is a great form and its constant flow from one technique to another makes for great sport when performing it. I agree with having it done on actual opponents, and I'll add that it makes for the easiest form to describe to new student. Lots of great applications as a teacher and as a student. Enjoy!:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought that SHort Form 3 was done with "Technique Timing".

the timing in which you do the actual self defense techniques at.

OP
K

kenpofist2

Like most things in life, the answer depends on who you talk too. My teacher showed it at a alternating speed levels. Some movements were slower than others. However I was taught and I perform Short and Long 3 at a faster rate than say Short and Long 1. This is due to, as you've stated, the form is made up of techniques and therefore is done at a faster pace.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by kenpo3631
I thought that SHort Form 3 was done with "Technique Timing".

the timing in which you do the actual self defense techniques at.

That can be true! But even on a technique the timing can be varied, sped up and slowed down, depending on how you want things to turn out. As the same in Short 3, the timing can be changed on how you want the form to turn out and work for you.

OP
K

kenpofist2

I totally agree Jeff. :asian: If your looking to make a form quicker Short and Long 3 are prime candidates for this. The sets can be speeded up quite a bit and you won't lose too much in the translation.

"If you rush a miracle, you get a rotten miracle." - Billy Crystal as Miracle Max, Princess Bride.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by kenpofist2
I totally agree Jeff. :asian: If your looking to make a form quicker Short and Long 3 are prime candidates for this. The sets can be speeded up quite a bit and you won't lose too much in the translation.

"If you rush a miracle, you get a rotten miracle." - Billy Crystal as Miracle Max, Princess Bride.

I didn't mean make the form quicker as a whole, but "rushing" per say. I meant changing/varying the tempo of the moves. Kind of like music...It may speed up for a bit, and then slow down for a bit (pretty much what "timing" is defined as; why do i feel like i am repeating myself; lather rinse repeat....lather rinse repeat). I never meant to hurry up to complete the form so that no one can see what you have done.
Your movements need to be defined, so that it is clear what your intentions are.
Not to be rushed as to blur the intent of your actions.

OP
K

kenpo2dabone

Here is something to think about or ask your instructor about. It is not just the first form to have actual techniques in it. Short 3 is full of opposites and reverses. It is a large part of what the form was desighned to teach. As you go through it see if you can find them. After I was taught the form my instructor told me to find ten examples of each before he would teach me anymore material. It was th first time I was really forced to pick apart a form. I will have to look back at my notes but I beleive it also completes the universal symbol. It is either short 3 or long three but I will have to look to make sure.

Salute,

Mike Miller UKF

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Uh...weighing in late...above all, bend your knees and get your tootsies turned in, weight on the outside edges of the feet...especially look for cheezy stances in in forward/reverse bows...don't leave out the c-steps near the start...see how low you can drop in the twists...etc,etc...

And good luck with the damn angles. The basics of both sides of this thing took me going on a year...

OP
K

KenpoGirl

for the continued good advice.

A friend of mine is a member of the Tatum Assoc., he tells me they do the form on both sides. I know in some systems you don't learn the left side techniques until later if at all.

What do you do?

Dot
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We learn the techniques right and left anyway, and the Demo looks great with one person doing the left side, while another pair mirrors him/her, but doing techs on the right side, facing the audience.

MB

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Among the many funny jokes that made me want to kill people who could beat me to death, the traditional deal appears to be, get taught the right side...pause, pause...then the instructor says, brightly, "OK, now you figure out the other side. I want to see it next week."

Your buddy's right...I train at Mr. Tatum's in Pasadena (don't tell anybody...I don't want to be harangued about cross-training...), but the woman who taught me got her black through Mr. Tatum, tested and got kicked for her black by the Man himself...and that's how she learned the form.

When I teach, now, I continue the tradition of happy pranksterism with Short 3, a beautiful form...anybody know who wrote it? I've a young student whose version is better than mine...he does Striking Set 1, then the right side, then Striking Set 2, then the left side...eek.

The scariest fast short Short 3 I've seen on video was a) Mr. Parker, b) Frank Trejo...

I, myself, damn near quit because of Short 3...and hell, now it's too late.

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this form is also known as the elbow form and the marriage to gravity form. there are also techniques done on the opposite side, showing you what is to come in long 3. do your forms with power and intensity and visualise your opponents.

Latest Discussions