Shoes?

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I was wrong they do make a high top.

11b.jpg

Ginsu

OP
K

KanoLives

I'm all about barefoot. But I have practiced in shoes as well. At my school it doesn't matter as long as you are learning techs properly. Personally I feel if you could do something barefoot then you should be able to do the same thing with shoes on.

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by hatamotoyoshi
asics it is i'll try footlocker up here in the great white north.
as you may or may not know 30$ US is about 2 zillion canadian LOL
sifu dangeruss , i 'll try wrestling shoes if the asics don't work out.
thanks folks

The Asics I wear are wrestling shoes, BTW. The one downside might be the bright yellow sole. It gives the kick away :rofl:

R

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have had two pairs now, both great, wore the first ones right out in about 2 /12 years, I still have them as a back up pair though. This second pair is a little higher priced, but is wearing even better, been 1 1/2 years, look almost as good as new!

I totally agree with GoldenDragon here though. I have seen a lot of students whose stances, and foot work have taken a turn for the worse with wearing shoes.
It seems to happen to the beginer belts a lot easier.

Maybe everyone needs to build up a certain amount of sensitvity before going to shoes.

:cool:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
my instructor teaches Kenpo as a general studies gym credit at the local college, and going barefoot on the floors are a bit unnerving...empty soda cans, pens and pencils, opposable thumbs, all kinds of nonsense on the floors. so the shoes are really nice to have when assisting.

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

thanks headkicker,
the yellow soles won't be a problem the way i kick,
most opponents go get a coffee and come back when they figure
i've got my leg up.LOL

Greggers69

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At my Dojo it doesn't really matter. I have trained both barefoot and with wrestling shoes. I prefer the shoes at class and barefoot at home. At home just so i can make sure i kick with the balls of my foot on my bag. Hurts if you don't do it correctly. And my shoes are about 6 years old. Some highschool wrestling has been done in them and then started kenpo about two months ago.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
LOL!!! I'm gonna take this foot, and put it on that side of your
head, and there's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it!

:p

Dammit!!!!
I still haven't ever seen that friggin movie....

--Dave

:mad:

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by hatamotoyoshi
thanks headkicker,
the yellow soles won't be a problem the way i kick,
most opponents go get a coffee and come back when they figure
i've got my leg up.LOL

Well, I am much the same. Headkick is strictly an ironic name. And size 13's displace a lot of air, so much like the fly, you can feel it coming before it gets there. :D

R

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by Seig
Just write "Duck" on the sole

:D Given how high I actually kick, maybe "Goose" would be better. ;)

R

OP
S

stacks

Originally posted by Greggers69
At my Dojo it doesn't really matter. I have trained both barefoot and with wrestling shoes. I prefer the shoes at class and barefoot at home. At home just so i can make sure i kick with the balls of my foot on my bag. Hurts if you don't do it correctly. And my shoes are about 6 years old. Some highschool wrestling has been done in them and then started kenpo about two months ago.

I agree with you, that going barefoot on the bag is great for concentration on foot angle and technic. I take my shoes off periodicly but I put them back on when the ache begins. I see you are new to Kenpo, I hope you enjoy your journey as much as we all have enjoyed our training

stacks:cheers:

OP
K

Kroy

I think people should train in both bare feet and shoes, as well they should try practicing in their Doc Martins, boots, runners, dress shoes and yes even they're slippers. You never know when your gonna have to defend yourself.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
I think people should train in both bare feet and shoes, as well they should try practicing in their Doc Martins, boots, runners, dress shoes and yes even they're slippers. You never know when your gonna have to defend yourself.

The "2nd" consideration {Infinite Insights Book 1, Chapter 11, page 101} that is necessary to logically take measures to become victorious ~

:asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

In my current studio I wear gym shoes. But, in many of my previous studios and dojo's we left our shoes on the shoe rack before we entered the practice area.

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I currently go bare foot, but after 2hrs of training my feet and ankels are killing me. I hobble out of the school.

I intend to by some wrestling shoes to use in the future for a little more support. Might even get some orthotics if the shoes don't help.

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by Kroy

Beware the pink bunny slipper of death! :rofl: :rofl:

My college roommate had some big, furry king kong slippers that roared when the left foot stepped down. Funny as hell when your drunk.