Shoes?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was of the barefoot group too until I got my Century shoes.. and I agree on both sides.. the shoes are good for me as I had a paralyzed foot from a car accident up until last year.. and they give me support that I need :)

for most beginners I think barefoot is best.. Learning to blade the foot properly and for the instructor's to be able to see the student's foot position is important.

It took some getting used to the smaller sole in my pair but I'm very comfortable kicking, sparring etc. Plus at my age it gives me some added protection from boo boos *G*

OP
E

Elfan

I prefer barefoot in general, the first thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes and socks and keep them off. However, I do wear shoes often (barefoot in the city? icky!) and reconize the value in training in them sometimes. To get the maximum benifit from this it would make sense to me to wear shoes like what you normally wear, not fancy "martial art" shoes.

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

very interesting views on shoes.
up here in canada its not fit for human habitation from end of nov.to start of may.(just my opinion of course; all those crazed hockey players love it!)
we train in a church gym, no mats, and i'm going beg my instructor to let me have a pair of training shoes.
though i think i have a very slim chance as he is a rugged traditionalist and a crazed hockey player!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
I prefer barefoot in general, the first thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes and socks and keep them off. However, I do wear shoes often (barefoot in the city? icky!) and reconize the value in training in them sometimes. To get the maximum benifit from this it would make sense to me to wear shoes like what you normally wear, not fancy "martial art" shoes.

When I am out and about and practicing outside of the studio.. I am either in sneakers, or my 'kenpo shoes' so it makes not much difference what I wear. I had heels on this weekend and even fiddled around with tecs in those.. if you know your stuff.. I can't see much difference in what shoes you wear. The Fancy "martial art" shoe is softer.. and I would much rather have that on when I kick or am kicked.. or blocking.. than a hard soled heavy leather shoe :)

OP
J

jules

Originally posted by Jill666
I usually prefer to train barefoot, but if we are going self-defense or sparring, I'll go to shoes. I have calloused feet, so I'm quite comfortable doing kata barefoot.

Ditto! However in our school it is optional to each individual.:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

It's optional in our school. Some do, some don't. I typically
wear my shoes at any and all workouts. Then take them off for
testing!

When I first started, I didn't wear shoes, cause my thinking was,
what if you're attacked on the beach? by the pool? you're in bed,
and see an intruder in your home? But then I figured, for every
one barefoot scenario, there's a thousand shoed scenarios. If
it comes down to having to defend myself barefoot, I'll take a
broken foot if need be.

OP
S

stacks

shoes are aloud in my studio providing they are a martial art training shoe (otomix ect.) there is the cleaniness, and if there is a injury the shoe will hold the foot and/or the blood in. however if you decide to go barefoot as is the traditional way your are welcome too. I agree with being able to see proper foot placement and angle, but those (like myself, broke my right ankle twice, once at my previous job than again 4 years later in the dojo) who require the ankle support. taking your shoes off before a fight dangerous, use the shoe as a better striker than a barefoot .

stacks

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by KenpoTess
When I am out and about and practicing outside of the studio.. I am either in sneakers, or my 'kenpo shoes' so it makes not much difference what I wear. I had heels on this weekend and even fiddled around with tecs in those.. if you know your stuff.. I can't see much difference in what shoes you wear. The Fancy "martial art" shoe is softer.. and I would much rather have that on when I kick or am kicked.. or blocking.. than a hard soled heavy leather shoe :)

Good point about the similarity between those 'martial arts shoes' and sneakers. I supose if you normaly wear sneakers its not that big of a deal. However, I've seen some prety funky footwear. If you regularly wear crazy 3 inch heals I think it would be much more of an issue.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
Good point about the similarity between those 'martial arts shoes' and sneakers. I supose if you normaly wear sneakers its not that big of a deal. However, I've seen some prety funky footwear. If you regularly wear crazy 3 inch heals I think it would be much more of an issue.

I can hardly walk in those silly heels.. hahaa.. nope .. I think they were invented by men for Men and men should wear them~!!! *G*

Give me comfort and I'm happy.. flats.. or no shoes at all~!
I'm always barefoot at home ~!

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

so kenpotess and jules,
which shoe is best value for the buck?
i'm kinda leaning toward otomix.
whaddya think?

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by hatamotoyoshi
so kenpotess and jules,
whaddya think?

I would recommend Asics over Otomix. I've owned both. I tore up the Otomix. I don't like the way they the sole is attached. The Asics, for me, are much better. I got mine from footlocker.com for $30.00 (US), which was than I ever saw Otomix. Asics has been making mat shoes (wrestling) for a long time.

R

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so kenpotess and jules,
whaddya think?

ottomix....aisics....lol i don't know...i just wanted to respond because i thought your username was funny as hell....

OP
S

Sifu DangeRuss

Shoes are entirely optional in my school. However I LIVE in wrestling shoes if I don't absolutely HAVE to wear something more formal. However, I highly reccomend that you invest in a good sports insole as they don't offer much (okay ANY) cushion.

I also don't understand why it would be any more difficult to analyze foot positioning, or even toe positioning in shoes like Wrestling shoes, as they are narrow, (roughly foot-shaped), and flexible enough to even curl toes back to kick with the ball of the foot? My students have almost all adopted the wrestling shoes because I choose to train with them. I have not noticed any particular difficulties correcting stances or any other obviously bad habits?

Are you sure someone didn't sell you Clown Shoes and just tell you that they were wrestling shoes? Those might be problematic. Also those big red balls are NOT standard issue nose protectors !!!

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

asics it is i'll try footlocker up here in the great white north.
as you may or may not know 30$ US is about 2 zillion canadian LOL
sifu dangeruss , i 'll try wrestling shoes if the asics don't work out.
thanks folks

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so kenpotess and jules,
whaddya think?

I am not pleased with my Century shoe's soleas it started breaking and ripping up from the leather a few weeks into wear..that and the bottom insole keeps slipping.
Some of our students really like their Asics shoe.. been wearing them for over a year and nothing wrong.. as I examined it.. they seem to have a great arch support and a real sole.. not just glued on seperate. So I would go that route for my next one.. Yeah they are probably $20.00 more than Century or Tigerclaw brand.. but in the long run.. well worth it :)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I have tried both the Century martial Arts shoe and the Tiger Claw martial arts shoe. I am not particularly pleased with either. On my Tiger Claw shoes, the sole seperated, of course I did have them for three years. I replaced them with the Century shoe, MY pair seemed to hold up fine, so far, but the insole in one of them keeps sliding around. I may try asics next.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Adidas martial arts shoes yet? I want a report.

I have Otomix cross-trainer high martial arts shoes currently. They are not quite a high top, but I have been known to twist an ankle at a camp by stepping in a prarie dog, rattlesnake, rabbit, or gopher hole.

I wore a pair of Nikes for many, many years, once I got the soles to give up some of thier traction. You have to be able to pivot when you kick or the supporting knee can seriously tear. I had them probably 8 years, so I did not know anything about other shoes designed specifically for martial arts, excluding wrestling or boxing shoes.

-Michael,
Kenpo-Texas.com

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, when I am required to wear something on my feet during training, it is usually a ballet slipper, because its almost as good as being barefoot. very flexible, but good, solid suede or rubber on the bottom for traction, plus, my instuctor can still get a good idea of my foot positions. Works well for tournaments too, where the floor is usually filthy. I cut off the laces that make the silly little bow in the front and run a good piece of elastic through the shoe instead.

I prefer to train barefoot, but will wear street shoes every so often so I
can get a feel for it.

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr Billings,
I wore Adidas and Otomix for years. I prefer the Otomix as they are better constructed and do as you noted offer some ankle support. The Adidas shoes held up well and are just as light weight if not a little lighter, however they are not as durable or as comfortable as the Otomix shoes I have worn and I never found a pair that was more of a high top(not sure if they make one or not). All of the Adidas I wore were low tops and the soles all seemed to have a bit of a tacky sticky feel.

Hope that helps sir.

Ginsu