Shoes?

J

Jas0n

Ok, so does your dojo require some sort of martial arts shoe or wrestling shoe? Mine does...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My kwoon has a "shoes" optional policy. Most of us don't wear shoes so that we are better able to pivot without the risk of blowing a knee during class. About the only time I will wear shoes for training is during grappling training to give me better leverage.
What about other non-traditional garments? Street clothes? We only do one night of street clothes training per month. I try to train at home a several times a month in what I wear to work so that I know the feel and how well everything will stretch. I wear steel toe boots at work (truck driver). Talk about a different feel for a kick!

Theletch1

"Make civilized the mind....
Make savage the body."

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I rent space at a preschool so I told them from the get go that everyone would wear shoes. Barefeet even socks can leave an odor and thats not good foe their school either.

I was at a school for awhile and everyone went bare foot because of tradition, but one person had atheletes foot and would leave skin on the rug like he had leprosy. IMHO tradition goes out the window when it comes to catching other peoples ailments.

I took the job vacumeing the rug to make sure it was cleand and disinfected.
Now at my school the only need some type of foot wear, I tell them just get a cheap pare of sneakers if they like.

Plus I like people to train in shoes , their more likely to defend them selves in shoes so they need to what moves will work for THEM and what might put them at risk.

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think there was a topic on something about shoes earlier but shoes in the training area and when doing self defense techniques is a good thing. It better prepares you for if you ever had to use this stuff. It's like night and day when doing Kenpo bare foot and then going to shoes.

Its good practice.
Bill Smith

OP
J

Jill666

I usually prefer to train barefoot, but if we are going self-defense or sparring, I'll go to shoes. I have calloused feet, so I'm quite comfortable doing kata barefoot.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't allow shoes in the studio as a norm. We have a shoe rack in the front and you park them there.

We train barefoot to insure proper ankle, foot, and toe positions. I want to be able to see and correct the positions and you can't get a good look in shoes. Of course you have to keep up personal hygiene as a courtesy to others. In all the studios that I have visited that train most always with shoes, (particularly in the beginning) the foot positions are always sloppy and in need of adjustment.

With that being said.... there are other times when training with shoes is extremely useful to "condition" the student for what they will be experiencing BUT .......... But... when we do it is not with a light flimsy shoe designed just for mats, it is with dress shoes, or sneakers or everyday shoes that everyone wears!

:asian:

OP
B

bahenlaura

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
I don't allow shoes in the studio as a norm. We have a shoe rack in the front and you park them there.

We train barefoot to insure proper ankle, foot, and toe positions. I want to be able to see and correct the positions and you can't get a good look in shoes. Of course you have to keep up personal hygiene as a courtesy to others. In all the studios that I have visited that train most always with shoes, (particularly in the beginning) the foot positions are always sloppy and in need of adjustment.

With that being said.... there are other times when training with shoes is extremely useful to "condition" the student for what they will be experiencing BUT .......... But... when we do it is not with a light flimsy shoe designed just for mats, it is with dress shoes, or sneakers or everyday shoes that everyone wears!

Same in our school.
However I would like to work out in regular clothing once in a while so I get the feel of it.
Who knows we may not have enough time to slip into our Gis if confronted in the street.
:D

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school is shoes optional and I train both ways. I started wearing shoes agter stripping a prctice knife straight into my foot. Painful and one more reason I don't belong in a knife fight.

I also try to train periodically in my street clothes (shirt, Tie, dress shoes, sport jacket etc.) Variety is the spice of life.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't require it. But I like wearing wrestling shoes. Use to get back aches when I didn't and was working on a hard floor.
Bob :asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
our school has the choice. my personal feeling is that either everybody wears shoes...or no one does...

especiallly in terms of instructor safety...i've seen a few instructor tonails get ripped off from people wearing shoes while they were helping the learn a technique...

OP
S

SRyuFighter

We don't wear shoes. I think my sensei would hurt me. Lol. We do go out every now and then and wear our shoes and practice for a feel of how it is in shoes. I do this at home also...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Shoes are optional for us.

I wear wrestling shoes all the time when I am training. My feet have very poor arches and working out barefoot can be pretty tough on them. The hygiene and reality advantages are just a bonus.

Lamont

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

its optional where i train. Most of us do wear shoes though. Its been a number of years since i've trained bare foot. Its funny now that i think about it, because in the dojo i always have shoes on but when training out of the dojo, i am in socks or just bare feet. My girlfriend tells me that after training the smell of my feet alone is enough to put down any attacker.:D

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most likely if you ever have to use your Kenpo skills you will be wearing shoes of some type - why not train in them. Shoes support your feet and provide a degree of protection. I can understand not using them in a studio setting for various reasons, but you must be able to defend yourself with and without your shoes.

EKP RIP
Big Pat

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a student many years ago that was at a party and got into a scuffle........ he went and sat down and took off his shoes then got up and kicked the guys ***....

When he came into the studio the next time he was in, he told me about it...... I told him he was lucky! I would have kicked your teeth in while you were stupid enough to sit down and take off your shoes......

billy jack...... geeze.....

:rofl:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
billy jack...... geeze.....

LOL!!! I'm gonna take this foot, and put it on that side of your
head, and there's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it!

:p

OP
H

headkick

Kept bending toes on elbows and such. Put on a pair of Asics, and I've never had problem since. It has forced me to put more emphasis on properly rotating into stances. No knee or ankle problem associatated with the shoes. When I don't wear them, I figure nobody can recognize me. :D

I did catcha toenail on the nose from a roundhouse kick in class one time. He was 6'8", I'm 6'1", so it was an easy reach. My bad, but it still cost me 3 stitches and tetanous shot.

I like shoes.

R

OP
K

Kenpomachine

We train now bare footed or with light mat or dancing shoes. That's because of the new floor surface we have at the gym, because we were used to train with sneackers everyday :)
The old mat is soooooo old, it's dangerous to your feet, so I hate it everytime we have to train there, which is currently once a week.

OP
U

Ultraboy

I prefer barefoot, because I'm a sucker for tradition.

I guess I see it this way: yes, if we ever use kenpo in a street situation, we should train in shoes. But following that line of thought, we then should forgo the gi--which allows for more freedom of movement--and wear more restrictive street wear.
Being barefoot, wearing a gi--it adds to the mystique of the dojo, and traditionalist that I am, I prefer it. But that's just me.

I like the idea of training in street clothes, if only now and then.

But I do feel if there are shoes, then everyone should wear them. I've been kicked with shoes before (by accident), and it hurts a lot more than just a bare foot. Maybe I should start wearing lead filled mittens to even it up a bit.:shrug:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also "prefer" barefoot, but for the sake of reality training, I do allow shoes. Nobody consistantly wears them unless the weather is below about 40 degrees F; at that point it is probably cold enough indoors to wear shoes, since I like the cold ... and the heat, we just never turn on the A/C or heater. (Cheap? - Nah, just another Karate Bum.) August sparring makes for great conditioning for sparring at camp in the fall in California.

I put on shoes when it gets too cold or if I need the ankle support. I wear Otomix but they still grab the floor, reference my trying to do side splits with them on, I can't get my full range due to the shoes having too much traction.

I am with Prof GoldenOne on this - Barefoot first, you HAVE to learn correct foot, ankle, and knee positions - otherwise when you hit the bag or someone there is a crunch heard along with your howl or curse, depending on disposition.

Oss,
-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

Latest Discussions