Set up 2 on 1

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you can clinch in a manner in which one arm is pinned and move yourself out of effective punching distance/angle of the other arm, probably a stretch to be a 2 on 1 though. (by that i mean fit into the context of the thread/what you meant)

Yeah. There is all this cool arm drags and two on one russian stuff out there.

If you keep your head tucked you are pretty good.

If you are get to knocked out by flappy shots while one side is controlled you probably have more to worry a out than two on one anyway.

You have a shoulder pinned so that can't really rotate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't actually see how that keeps his arms out of the fight. It removes (if you get that much contact) the ability to punch, but something as simple as rolling over the wrist of the first hand changes the mechanics and structure and leaves a lot of grappling options open.

It is basically an arm drag.

Otherwise making someone circle their arms is good for double single leg set ups as their crossface arm goes high.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is basically an arm drag.

Otherwise making someone circle their arms is good for double single leg set ups as their crossface arm goes high.
The initial grip - as demonstrated (which isn't really "live" which may be distorting it) - is easy to counter with a small movement. It doesn't require a big arm movement. And if they hold on to try to keep the grip, they give up the ability to enter with that shoulder (which most folks with any training probably won't do, for that reason).

It doesn't seem to present the downward pressure of an arm drag, but maybe I'm just not seeing it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's my favor way to set up bear hug or double legs.

I use

- right hand to grab my opponent's left wrist and left hand to grab his right wrist.
- When my opponent circle both arms to avoid contact, my arms will go down to his waist, or his legs.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Gweilo You're giving me movement advice based on a picture.

No, based upon your picture, because you are using two hands, on the outer edge of a lever, you believe you have a sturdy position of control, what I was suggesting was if you close the gap between yourself (in the picture) and got closer to your opponent, this minor adjustment would give you the same control over your opponent, using less limbs, and give you greater freedom to react with other parts of the body.

Latest Discussions