Senban Shuriken

gatamayo

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to all my fellow BBT practioners. I'm new to this forum so I'd like to start off by saying hello to everyone. My question to the forum is, does anyone know where I can purchase actual senban shuriken? I have recently purchased some from Sensei Paul Richardson of the Lincolnshire England dojo and let me say they look and feel great. I wanted to buy some from Mr. Green of Budo Weapons but it seems he must be really back logged with orders because he has never returned any of my emails asking about placing an order. If anyone knows of a site or of a person selling traditional senban shuriken like the ones in Budo Weapons. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance to those who respond and have a great day.

Train like you fight and fight like you train.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Ed Green is certainly on everyone's list to purchase them from so that is why he is back logged. If you do not mind waiting then www.budoweapons.com is definately the way to go. Daniel Bowley also I believe makes authentic Budo Taijutsu training tools. I do not have a contact email for him now. (I once did) You can see his work on this page and he is highly recommended!

OP
gatamayo

gatamayo

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info, its greatly appreciated.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is Daniel Bowley's email: [email protected]

Both he and Ed Green are the best so if you want the best then
they are the right way to go.
icon14.gif

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello new to the forums. I tried ordering some items from Ed Green and now all of a sudden he isnt answering emails or anything. Has anyone else had this issue? I am hoping he is ok his reputation seemed to be great.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ed gets a lot of orders. He often gets overbooked by several months, and has at times had to completely stop taking orders.

This also causes a very few orders to get lost in the press, and if this happens my only advice is to have faith and keep sending him emails.

Anecdotally, the orders I've placed with him have been extremely pleasant experiences.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ed gets a lot of orders. He often gets overbooked by several months, and has at times had to completely stop taking orders.

This also causes a very few orders to get lost in the press, and if this happens my only advice is to have faith and keep sending him emails.

Anecdotally, the orders I've placed with him have been extremely pleasant experiences.

Ed has always made good products for myself in the past as well.
icon14.gif

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Great I had ordered 3 hanbos and hope it goes well I have a freind who has gotten Senban from him and they were great.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have shuriken from Ed as well. Certainly worth the wait!

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a source where they are quick to ship and also not too pricey. Sure, these guys mentioned above do good work (from what it looks like), but waiting months and months and spending $30 or $40 for 3 shuriken is a major pain. For example, I'd like to do some throwing before we have 6' of snow on the ground, and not have to worry if one of my pricey shuriken gets lost in training.

What I'd also love to find are some of the 4-point Stebel-edge shuriken that Bud Malmstrom used to sell. They had the points sharpened only half way down, allowing you to use them in-hand as well as for throwing. Those were my favorites, but I can't find anything like them now.

Anyone have dimensions for either type? I'm considering looking around town for someone to make some for me.

jango67

White Belt
Reaction score
last year i orderd some shurikens from ED GREEN at BUDO WEAPONS and the quality was great.
but here is a new warning for thos who are thinking about contacting MR Green and budo weapons i orderd a new stack of shuriken on 2-11-08 and through e-mails to and from ed green i was sopose to recieve my new shurikens in may of 08
well im still waiting and todays dat is 7-31-08 i dont know if mr green is trying to swindle me or not because he will no longer answer any of my e-mails im not trying to slander anyone im just telling the truth a little more contact with customers is helpfull. BECAREFULL of BUDO WEAPONS..

jango67

White Belt
Reaction score
Well Ed Green is certainly on everyone's list to purchase them from so that is why he is back logged. If you do not mind waiting then www.budoweapons.com is definately the way to go. Daniel Bowley also I believe makes authentic Budo Taijutsu training tools. I do not have a contact email for him now. (I once did) You can see his work on this page and he is highly recommended!

i just want to warn everyone that yes ed green does make quality shuriken.it can tak a month or more to recieve your shurikens i order some shurikens on 2-11-08 and still have not recieved them and ed does not return my e-mails i hope hes not trying to swindle me..thats poor customer service verry bad

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am also sad ot report that well over a year later Ed has never sent my hanbos , we had one email were he said he was back logged and would have them to me soon that was 11 months ago. I also have 2 freinds who have orders in for close to a year. He doesnt seem to want to send the gear or answer the emails but sure has time to take the orders. Shame not meant to slam him but has really changed his business practices be very careful.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is just not continued acceptable business practice. It is important in my book to at least have some time table and also to return emails and or order money. I would hope that Ed will eventually fix these issues.

DannyF

White Belt
Reaction score
There is a guy in Japan who can make any shuriken you want. His name is Shinada and his prices vary according to the amount of work involved.
I haven't bought any senban from him, but he did make some Iga ryu blades for me and they were pretty good.
Email me if you want his info.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another of the Den Ronin has meandered here like me I see!:)

Paul Richardson's senban/teppan are great too, and he makes chunky rubber ones that will upset a sleeping cat quite nicely.

The previous poster could probably give a comparison appraisal as I believe he has some from more than one source, whereas mine are either Paul's, Taiwanese, or 1980s Battle Orders (the couple that didn't end up under a hydrangea turning it blue anyhow).

If you want them quick for a secret ninja ninja mission, Paul's your man.

DannyF

White Belt
Reaction score
"the previous Poster" does indeed have sets from several makers.
Pauls' Blades are nearly identical to Ed Greens' blades except for the finish.
Pauls are sort of blued and Ed's were blackened.
I prefer bluing because the blackening chemical makes them a little sticky.
Both makers used an original design from Japan, so they are the genuine size and shape.
Ed's were sharpened for combat and will stick in almost anything. Paul's are a little less sharp and will probably last longer for training. Either one would do a number on your face.
No matter who you buy from, be careful with them. They are not toys.

Latest Discussions