Chuck Guass
Jean Machado
Jim Wagner
Dan Anderson
this would make for a good start to a great weekend seminar

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have attended seminars with Morio Higaonna, Fumio Demura, Richard Amos, CS Kim, John Pelligrini, Carlos Machado, Moriteru Ueshiba, Peter Bernath, Harvey Konigsberg, Henry Kono among others. I have found them all enjoyable in their own way and have taken something useful away from all.

There are many famous and 'unfamous' martial artists I wouldn't mind meeting and training with in a variety of martial arts. I'd like to see Masaji Taira in person and plan to make the trip next year.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
great names there I forgot Vladimir Vesiliev would love to see him as well I guess my question should have been if you saw some names on a flyer or in the paper or magazone or internet who would attract you to come to a seminar

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Name some instructors you would pay to see at a weekend seminar
my list
Dan Inosanto
Dusty Seale
T A Frazer
Tony Annesi
Ken Smith
Chuck Guass
Jean Machado
Jim Wagner
Dan Anderson
this would make for a good start to a great weekend seminar

Those bolded I've seen and would gladly pay to see again.

I would add
Datu Dieter Knuttle and the instructors from the DAV
Datu Kelly Worden
Fumio Demura,
Morio Higaonna,
Harry Cook
Frankly even though I don't study Okinawan MAs, I would love to go on one of the Classical Fighting Arts (magazine) seminars to train in Okinawa with the karate masters there.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already train with Ken Smith and Chuck Guass, however, I'd definately enjoy seeing them again. :) As for my other picks:

Ron 'Doc" Chapel
Dan Inosanto
Dan Anderson
Kelly Worden
Dave Castoldi
Rickson Gracie
Carlos, Rigan or Jean Jacques Machado

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another big influence for me was Hock Hochheim, I attended his seminars for many years throughout the 1990's and early-mid 2000's. I've kind of lost track over the years but I still use some of his material for my classes. His seminars were always a lot of fun and I would like to go see him again.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a list of the people (that I haven't trained with) that I would pay to see at a seminar:

David 'Ticky' Donovan OBE, founder of Ishinryu Karate not to be confused with Isshin-Ryu karate from Japan. As this is a karate style developed/created in the UK.

Grand Master Otsuka Yasuyuki, for the art of Shuriken Jutsu (actually missed the seminar this year).

Hirokazu Kanazawa Sensei, as my sensei in Shotokan studied under him so my "style" of Shotokan is more aligned to Kanazawa Sensei than the JKA way.

Kyle Funakoshi, again Shotokan karate.

Grandmaster Song Ki Kim, current president of the World Dang Soo Do Union as I'm currently studying TSD.

Grace and Chloe Bruce (Bruce Sistaz) for flexiblity and kicks.

Nikki Stanley for the acrobatics side of the MA.

Joe Lewis, the fastest person I know of to gain a Black Belt in under a year and one of the earliest heavy weight kickboxing and karate champions in the '70.

William "Bill" Louis Wallace, as he was one of the earliest middleweight karate champions back in the '70's.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
William "Bill" Louis Wallace, as he was one of the earliest middleweight karate champions back in the '70's.

It's pretty easy to get to see Bill Wallace. He travels fairly frequently to teach around the country. Fun guy.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many, many great martial artists out there who I would certainly like to train with if the opportunity presenbted itself. If, however, we're talking about seminars of people that I would definitely attend if at all possible then the list drops quite a bit.

Choi, Jung Hwa. Son of General Choi and one of the most knowledgeable Taekwon-Doin with whom I've ever had the pleasure of training. His insights on Taekwon-Do philosophy are also quite profound.

Lim, Hyun Soo. I'm not as Hapkidoin but I'd love to get on the floor and train with GM Lim since Gen. Choi appropriated some of Choi, Yong Sul's Hapkido into his sytem via GM Chung, Kee Tae. I think it would be fascinating to compare and contrast GM Choi's Hapkido with ITF Ho Sin Sul.

There are others that I have trained with or would like to train with but these two gentlemen top the list.

Pax,

Chris

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all the replies I am looking at putting together weekend seminars annually and trying to get things set up for years straight a good 3 instructors will be great to start out with once again thanks to all, and I almost forgot Seiyu Oyata

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joe

I did forget about Seiyu Oyata on my list. I saw him back around 1990 (time frame) and he inspired me with his high level martial arts to really start looking at applications in my katas.

I also forgot on my previous lists of who I would gladly pay to see
Seiyu Oyata (of course)
Iain Abernethy (who BTW will be here in the states in Kanas at the end of Sept. 2012.)
Leon Jay (whom I have also seen before but would like to see again)

Latest Discussions