self defense?

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
a person i know wants to join in my teachers class for self defense reasons. is that a legit reason to want to start training in tang soo do? in my mind i guess i think that a person needs a more open mind about martial arts. otherwise you just won't absorb it all. just my thoughts.

ohh and i'm a yellow belt on the forums now check it.

cause kid said so

K

Knifehand

a major thing is SD is not learning combinations or Ho Sin Sul (ITF or otherwise) is all about confidence, thinking clearly, and making good choices. TSD is a great style. It isn't pressuring you to rank up... it teaches you. I've learned a lot of good moves that would help me defend myself more, but i also think clearer.

A lot of people join MA for self defence. Its like they come for the SD, they stay for the training. They learn dedication and lot of other good qualities. I'm a TSD fan and i will alway promote TSD. but they have to find a style that suits them best. If they want to learn to defend themselves in a non-combative way, Hapkido is the way to go. If you want your *** handed to you then Muay Tai is you.

Any Martial art will help you defend youself... but its all mental. People who want to cause you pain will cause you pain because they've told you they are going to hurt you; If you believe that, you've already lost.

OP
kid

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
true that. but what i'm saying is that you need to have an open mind in class and not think that once class is over that your gonna be able to defend yourself. sure you can have confidence but it might blind them to reality of it. fight if you got to, not because you want to. i invited this person to join in the class cause of three reasons first is that martial art is a experience that could last you a life time. second i feel sorry for the reason why she wants to learn to defend herself and i beleive my bro could teach her that. third shes hot and we need a hottie in class. lol

cause kid said so

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
People have all kinds of reasons for deciding to take their first martial arts class. In my opinion, ultimately, these reasons aren't that important. The reasons that they choose to stay in the martial arts are much more important.

K

Knifehand

kid said:
true that. but what i'm saying is that you need to have an open mind in class and not think that once class is over that your gonna be able to defend yourself. sure you can have confidence but it might blind them to reality of it. fight if you got to, not because you want to. i invited this person to join in the class cause of three reasons first is that martial art is a experience that could last you a life time. second i feel sorry for the reason why she wants to learn to defend herself and i beleive my bro could teach her that. third shes hot and we need a hottie in class. lol

cause kid said so
Rock on... Those are some good reasons. It took me a kick to the face to realize that i'm not as good as i thought. I think she should take TSD. She will find her own reasons for staying. But let her try, either she will bite (figuativly speaking) or she won't. But from what i am sensing, it would be worth her time... Go for it... Tell her, "Welcome to the club" from me...

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Because the martial arts are so visable in todays society, I would break down the reasons for starting a martial art as follows;

70% start to learn Self Defense
10% start because it's something they have alsways wanted to do
15% start because their friend did
05% start to get in shape

Now once their in, a transformation takes place for some. For other's, it was just not their cup of tea. The byproducts can be life changing. Improved self discipline, improved tolerence for other's, a better understanding of what someone is truely capable of doing to other's, improved understanding of one's own body and so on. The main problem is that the majority don't stay long enough to have the transformation fully take hold. For some, it takes but a short period of time to enrich themselves. Whereas for other's, even though they have gotten to the black belt level, they have not embraced all there is to embrace. I'm sure we've all seen the person(s) test for black belt, only to disappear after it's been awarded. The true martial artist is a very small percentage of those that partake of the arts.

OP
kid

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i suppose thats true how would she be able to find out if the cloths fit if she doesn't try them on. and what better art to learn than the one that i'm in right?
no honestly my brother is a very good teacher and i think that he could help her out.

cause kid said so

K

Knifehand

kid said:
i suppose thats true how would she be able to find out if the cloths fit if she doesn't try them on. and what better art to learn than the one that i'm in right?
no honestly my brother is a very good teacher and i think that he could help her out.

cause kid said so
Then go for it man...TSD will help her out...

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started martial arts cause I wanted to learn self defense. 9 months into training in TSD, I had to defend myself for real. All I know, it worked. All I knew was the basics, but that's all I needed for that situation. I just wanted to throw that in there :) TSD saved my butt (and training hard 5-6 days a week had something to do with it :D ).

K

Knifehand

karatekid1975 said:
I started martial arts cause I wanted to learn self defense. 9 months into training in TSD, I had to defend myself for real. All I know, it worked. All I knew was the basics, but that's all I needed for that situation. I just wanted to throw that in there :) TSD saved my butt (and training hard 5-6 days a week had something to do with it :D ).
You're on karateforum.com aren't you... i recognize the username... TSD does rock.. its a good workout

OP
kid

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
martial arts is an awsome thing to get into. if you want to learn how to defend yourself but it goes way beyond defence and offence. it can be something much more powerful. ( i built that up good) Its a spiritual quest my friends and its differnt for everyone.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TSD is a martial art. One must remember that self-defense is only the martial part of martial arts. When it comes to self-defense, our style's requirements, as taught by my teacher, form the list below.

A. Striking Principles

1. The Golden Targets – Eyes, Throat, and Groin.
2. The Three Deprivations – Sight, Breath, and Sense.
3. Yin and Yang in Striking – hard target soft striker, soft target hard striker.

Techniques

1. Closed hand – jab, cross, hook, uppercut
2. Open hand – palm strike, palm rake, knife hand, eye gouge
3. Elbows – up, down, cross
4. Kicking – front, side, round, knee
5. Misc. – head butts, hip check, shoulder stroke

B. Grappling Principals

1. Taking and Giving Force – pull a push and push a pull.
2. Superior Position Vs. Inferior Position.
3. Use of Entire Body – Combining body muscles, use of weight, use of hips

Techniques

1. Falling – forward roll, side slap, back fall, front fall.
2. Throwing – foot sweep, outside leg sweep, hip throw.
3. Escapes – hand grip fighting, escapes from mounts, escapes from holds.
4. Ground Positioning – mounts, hold downs, position flow.
5. Locks – arm locks, leg locks, chokes.

C. Weapons Principles (basic stick and knife)

1. Length of Reach – a weapon’s effect on distance and timing
2. Cutting Vs Blunt – the difference between the two and their effects
3. Equalization – the power of a weapon Vs. empty hand.
4. Anything is a Weapon – improvising weapons.

Techniques

1. Striking with knives – holding the knife, five terrors, defang the snake
2. Striking with sticks – holding the stick, strikes 1-12, punyo strike
3. Block/Check/Strike, Meet and Pass, Free Flow
4. Disengagement – how to run, disabling motion, protecting vitals.
5. Empty hand Vs Weapon – Isolating the weapon, disarms, kuntao.

There is much more depth in our art then this...and that would be more of the art. This is just a guide to those interested in self-defense.

upnorthkyosa

OP
kid

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Right, self defense is such a small (but important) aspect, it seems that if thats all you want from TSD your cheating yourself out of the full experience. Y'all feelin me? Why do you think that we call them martial arts? What do you call abstract paintings? Its not only a picture, its an expression of the artist. Now geek of a painter figured out that. (j/k about the geek thing) A Few really old badasks figured out along time ago that the human is the artist and the mural. Kicking somones butt is just a bonus. Hows my sentence structure now john. lol

cause kid said so

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
People have all kinds of reasons for deciding to take their first martial arts class. In my opinion, ultimately, these reasons aren't that important. The reasons that they choose to stay in the martial arts are much more important.
Well said, Zepp! :)

OP
kid

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp is right, but i still think that with a more open mind about begining martial arts will help you understand more and better. Its easy to think of things for only one purpous, and miss the big picture.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kid said:
Zepp is right, but I still think that with a more open mind about begining martial arts will help you understand more and better. It's easy to think of things for only one purpose, and miss the big picture.
Ideally that would be nice, but I think that with the popularity & saturation of Martial Arts films & schools increasing over the past 30 yrs (at least in the the US), most people have some "preconceived notion" of what they think MA is. IMHO, it is only those who stay with it who begin to find out what it really means, for that is part of 'the journey.'

:asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kid said:
Zepp is right, but i still think that with a more open mind about begining martial arts will help you understand more and better. Its easy to think of things for only one purpous, and miss the big picture.

Kid, you can water your garden and give it food and love, but you cannot demand that it grow. The same is true with the martial arts. A person can start with whatever they bring with them and the Art may or may not grow in them. Some vines prosper and grow, some wither and die. That is the way of things.

upnorthkyosa

PS - You need to read this post with your best Yoda voice.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Upnorthkyosa,

From what you posted, it appears your instructor mixes Filipino stick arts with TSD? How does that work? Do you have separate classes for that?

Miles

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Miles said:
Upnorthkyosa,

From what you posted, it appears your instructor mixes Filipino stick arts with TSD? How does that work? Do you have separate classes for that?

Miles

My teacher learned Tang Soo Do as it was passed down from Hwang Kee, through a set of Kodanja that felt that weapons should be incorporated at the gup level. The learning was of a rudimentary nature. It taught the basics. Therefore, all cho dans under my teacher receive basic training in stick and knife. After dan, my instructor greatly expands upon this base. For second dan, we specialize in learning the knife. For third dan we specialize in the stick. As far as the Filipino feel of what we are learning, my teacher is also maestro in Arnis De Mano so this is going to color what we learn in Tang Soo Do.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I wonder why it is still Tang Soo Do. I suspect that if I was in the Phillipines and started adding Pakistani wrestling the folks in the Phillipines would wonder why I continued to use the name of their art, right? So if Tang Soo Do has a particular culture and a particular heritage and you change the culture and you change the heritage how is this still Tang Soo Do? In like manner, if your teacher wants to teach Tang So Do and then wants to teach knife-fighting, and let his students take each class and mix them together on their own, why not do it that way. Why corrupt an art? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce