Self Defense question for men

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I didn't feel good about having to resort to doing that but I was getting no help from the (small) crowd that gathered to watch and thus "whap".
We became friends afterwards but it still didn't appease my feelings about having to hit a woman. Something my father taught me; "... a man has No reason to hit a woman... ever!" I still adhere to that nugget of wisdom.

That sounds more like a wakeup call than a counterattack. Of course, your intent dictates all. It doesn't seem to me like you should have felt that guilty.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get married.

I find that my personal and social life is much less filled wih drama, trauma, and stress since I've been married and had kids. I admit that I'm hard pressed to think of any situation I've been in for a long time where I was worried about being attacked by a woman or could envision one happening.

Being married changes how you relate to people; it should for ther better. How you interact with people is probably the first line of self defense.

kravkundo

White Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Defend myself at the appropriate level of force, same thing I would do if it were a 10 year old child, an adult male, or a wookie. I am an equal rights kind of guy.

Equal rights.....Equal fights

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen some women go absolutey nuts on a guy be it their husband/boyfriend, whatever. If the guy hadn't defended himself, he would have been in serious trouble. Women can be equally, if not moreso, nasty. Defending yourself is very necessary at times.

kravkundo

White Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey there :) no I appreciate your question is sincere and yeah certainly it is well documented that a proportion of domestic attacks are by women on men. But it kinda brings out the ol stereotyping of women being easily overpowered and like.. ooh I would have to like temper myself so I did not break her.. pffft.. some of the comments above are frankly laughable..

still your question is certainly not without merit my friend :)

bye bye now
Jenna

I would like to point out that while no stereo type is an all encompassing truth, many hold a high degree of truth to them and people find them cedible for a reason. After all, if an idea held no truth, most people would discard it outright and then it wouldnt be a stereo type

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this isn't along the lines of an answer you were looking for but here goes. *Marine Corps life and culture is not the standard norm trust me on this*

While I was in the Marine Corps I had an off duty woman military police person hit me in the mouth at a bar off base.

I was cool and went outside wanting to leave, she followed me out and grabbed me. I turned around and she gave me the five knuckles of love in the jaw.

I double leg dumped her on the asphalt and left. I filed charges against her once on base for assault on a non commissioned officer, conduct unbecoming, and drunk and disorderly conduct.

The whole thing started because I was wearing my Marine Corps Wrestling Jacket.:erg::shrug:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever the force needed to stop her, I'll use it as the appropriate level dictates. If a woman attacks me with the intent to do serious bodily harm, and is capable of doing so, I'll treat her the same as if she were a male.

I've seen what someone jacked up on adrenaline can do, and rest assured, when Yoda once said "size matters not," he wasn't kidding! People can do amazing things, and can absorb lots of punishment when simply undergoing an adrenaline surge.

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the situation.

A threat is a threat, regardless of age, gender, physique or ability. Do whatever you have to do. It's better to be judged by strangers than carried by friends.

Take care,

Garth.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I think that your fathers nugget of wisdom is perhaps outdated and dangerous thinking.

You are telling me that you would not hit a woman if she was intent on harming you or your kids, or other loved ones soley because of her gender?

A trained MA person, regardless of gender is preparing themselves for confrontation, but it does not mean they have the skills to thwart any type of attack. What if the attacker was better trained? What if the woman who was pissed off and attacking you was well trained also? Or armed with a bat or a knife? You need to use ALL your skills at that point, dont you?

I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but the minute you attack me or mine, I no longer see you as GUY or GIRL, or any other factor... I see you as an attacker bent on causing harm. Period.

I realize that my father's little nugget IS indeed out-dated but hardly dangerous. Later I realized or applied a different perspective to it. Basically I know (now) that my father's words were that no man has a reason to hit a woman (first) in anger.

But yeah, if there's a threat going on... stop it now and then moralize it later.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
mjd said:
This is a good question, in the subject of spouse abuse, 40% is done by women toward men, but in most states the man gets arrested anyway.

I'd whip her butt and take my chances, no one has the right to attach you, no-matter what their sex is.

:mp5:

Totally on the money. In my opinion. NO ONE has the right to attack you. A woman started on me? For real? I'd deck her. In a heartbeat. I don't see an issue with that at all, in any way shape or form. She shouldn't be doing it, I wouldn't pick a fight with a woman, but then, I'd never pick a fight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I any situation, I'd use the amount of force necessary to end the conflict.

Mike

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kravkundo said:
I would like to point out that while no stereo type is an all encompassing truth, many hold a high degree of truth to them and people find them cedible for a reason. After all, if an idea held no truth, most people would discard it outright and then it wouldnt be a stereo type
hey kravkundo howdydoody :) yes you are absolutely correct the stereotype is a conventional or formulaic conception or image of something and while I am not disputing the general truth in it I still think it is unwise of ANYONE to assume anything bout an opponent as with some of the earlier comments which were like.. oooh I would have to restrain my anger and overwhelming strength against a mere woman.. no assumptions is all I am suggesting..

bye bye now
Jenna from D block

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
hey kravkundo howdydoody :) yes you are absolutely correct the stereotype is a conventional or formulaic conception or image of something and while I am not disputing the general truth in it I still think it is unwise of ANYONE to assume anything bout an opponent as with some of the earlier comments which were like.. oooh I would have to restrain my anger and overwhelming strength against a mere woman.. no assumptions is all I am suggesting..

bye bye now
Jenna from Prisoner Cell Block H

What? You were in a crappy Australian soap? *Shudders*

Quite agree as per. I've witnessed how lairy women can get. When I worked in a pub during my student days, there were as many "catfights" (or women causing trouble in general) as bloke fights, and women can ogle just as well as blokes too. To assume that they won't pick a fight with you, because you're male, or that you shouldn't respond is dangerously outdated. You give someone the chance to walk away, or yourself the chance also, failing that POW! Sock 'er one. Jaw her. Knock her out. Whatever you want to call it. Whoever said "Equal rights, equal fights" was 100% correct in my view. Again, no one has the right to start an unwanted fight with you, and hide behind their gender.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kensai said:
What? You were in a crappy Australian soap? *Shudders*

Quite agree as per. I've witnessed how lairy women can get. When I worked in a pub during my student days, there were as many "catfights" (or women causing trouble in general) as bloke fights, and women can ogle just as well as blokes too. To assume that they won't pick a fight with you, because you're male, or that you shouldn't respond is dangerously outdated. You give someone the chance to walk away, or yourself the chance also, failing that POW! Sock 'er one. Jaw her. Knock her out. Whatever you want to call it. Whoever said "Equal rights, equal fights" was 100% correct in my view. Again, no one has the right to start an unwanted fight with you, and hide behind their gender.
hey you ya cheeky scally :) ha! hey you changed that on me.. that is libel.. or is it slander? or plagiarism or something else.. oh I dunno.. ha! yes yes I was that person Cell Block H with me lovely denim dungaroos and DMs.. I played Shirelle had a walk on part with one line.. Be glad theres a gate between us! ..;) ha!

uh-oh you worked serving students? I hope it wasnt the SU?? I bet that was um.. fun for ya?? nothing as lairy as students on a two for one binge.. good thing bout students is they are usually easy to take down.. yes I am well aware of that on Saturday nights ;)

Seriously though you are correct in this day and age specially over these parts.. you are as likely to get a glass in the gob from a girl as a guy and to assume she is some waif is almost an irrelevance and that was my point.. though I am unaccustomed to making them :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Defend myself at the appropriate level of force, same thing I would do if it were a 10 year old child, an adult male, or a wookie. I am an equal rights kind of guy.
Pretty much it!

Let me ask you this: WHO, male or female, old, young....etc., has the right to harm you, hurt you or threaten your wellbeing??

Your Brother
John

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
hey you ya cheeky scally :) ha! hey you changed that on me.. that is libel.. or is it slander? or plagiarism or something else.. oh I dunno.. ha! yes yes I was that person Cell Block H with me lovely denim dungaroos and DMs.. I played Shirelle had a walk on part with one line.. Be glad theres a gate between us! ..;) ha!

uh-oh you worked serving students? I hope it wasnt the SU?? I bet that was um.. fun for ya?? nothing as lairy as students on a two for one binge.. good thing bout students is they are usually easy to take down.. yes I am well aware of that on Saturday nights ;)

Seriously though you are correct in this day and age specially over these parts.. you are as likely to get a glass in the gob from a girl as a guy and to assume she is some waif is almost an irrelevance and that was my point.. though I am unaccustomed to making them :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Cheeky scally? How'd you know my middle name... *Ponders....*

I worked at a nice pub in Brindley Place in Birmingham, VERY rich area, a certain clientel only allowed in kinda place. Even so, the amount of trouble from all areas of society was interesting. Glassings, bar fights, cat fights, beer fights, heck even food fights (although they were actually quite good fun :) ). In the midst of violence, there is no discernment, there is only survival.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
what if you cant run fast?

I can run very fast. ;)

Of course, as others have pointed out, that is the same way I would react for anyone acting aggressively.

Latest Discussions