Self Defense question for men

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Defend myself at the appropriate level of force, same thing I would do if it were a 10 year old child, an adult male, or a wookie. I am an equal rights kind of guy.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would depend on the situation. If it was a big trucker type woman who is out to kill me, then I’m going to use whatever force necessary. If it’s my sister, then I’m going to hold her in some sort of lock until she calms down.

Basically, I would not go into the situation with the intention of destroying her but at the same time, if she is attacking me, then she is taking the same chances any man would be taking that I’m going to hurt them badly. She shouldn’t have started trouble to begin with.

I admit that that makes me sounds pretty bad, but if you go into a fight thinking “She is just a girl, I’ll go easy on her”, she might be the one who is going to pull out a knife when you least expect it. That’s my opinion, as bad as that sounds.

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Defend myself at the appropriate level of force, same thing I would do if it were a 10 year old child, an adult male, or a wookie. I am an equal rights kind of guy.

lol a wookie. i have a friend we call wookie, but i wouldnt fight him. hes way too nice of a guy.

Syn

White Belt
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
lol a wookie. i have a friend we call wookie, but i wouldnt fight him. hes way too nice of a guy.

It always seems like those kind of big guys are.

I personally would fnor, and while I wouldn't let my guard down just because it's a girl, I wouldn't do anything horrible like break her arm, I would just try to get her into a hold and hold there (again like fnor) so that she doesn't get herself hurt. If she's fighting out of a burst of emotion (like she's basically snapped) I wouldn't take the fight to an actual level of hurting because she obviously couldn't control herself, and probably when in a calm state of mind will regret it, but if it's a long grudge type thing and she's confronting me with the intent to hurt me, I would take all precautions and fight her on the same level as I would a guy, I don't think I would do any face shots though (if she was cute :p).

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
okay, lets say she is and even match for your perhaps she even trains martial arts. what then?

sorry touchy subject. but i feel its good to address

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
what would you do if you were being attacked by a female?
Hey lll00000lll :) sorry I am not certain if I got the right number of characters in your username.. so I just sort of guessed :) hey btw.. what is the significance of your username?? sorry..

I am not quite certain how you would defend yourself any differently from a woman than from a man?? Well I mean if unlike a poster above who assumed it was some frail Barbie looking to tug your hair or scratch yor face or something decidedly dodgy B-movie style.. Surely if someone is intent on harming you it does not matter whether it is man or woman? To assume the level of force needed to resolve this fracas is LESS if your attacker were female than if they were male is I think foolish.. however.. the world is not short on fools, ha!

Good luck in finding your answer :)
bye bye now
Jenna

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey lll00000lll :) sorry I am not certain if I got the right number of characters in your username.. so I just sort of guessed :) hey btw.. what is the significance of your username?? sorry..

I am not quite certain how you would defend yourself any differently from a woman than from a man?? Well I mean if unlike a poster above who assumed it was some frail Barbie looking to tug your hair or scratch yor face or something decidedly dodgy B-movie style.. Surely if someone is intent on harming you it does not matter whether it is man or woman? To assume the level of force needed to resolve this fracas is LESS if your attacker were female than if they were male is I think foolish.. however.. the world is not short on fools, ha!

bye bye now
Jenna

Well said! I totally agree.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was in 5th grade, a 6th grade girl beat me up. She jumped on me, grab my hair, and pounded my head into the gravel road.

If a girl attacked me, regardless of her size, frame or skill, I would defend myself and hold nothing back.

Btw, a 2004 statistic says that 17% of rapes and sexual assults in the USA are against men.

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a good question, in the subject of spouse abuse, 40% is done by women toward men, but in most states the man gets arrested anyway.

I'd whip her butt and take my chances, no one has the right to attach you, no-matter what their sex is.

:mp5:

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
mjd said:
This is a good question, in the subject of spouse abuse, 40% is done by women toward men, but in most states the man gets arrested anyway.

I'd whip her butt and take my chances, no one has the right to attach you, no-matter what their sex is.

:mp5:

lol hilarious.

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:

bye bye now
Jenna

i just though it was an interesting subject due to the nature of modern society and their view on female on male violance vs male on female violance.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
i just though it was an interesting subject due to the nature of modern society and their view on female on male violance vs male on female violance.
Hey there :) no I appreciate your question is sincere and yeah certainly it is well documented that a proportion of domestic attacks are by women on men. But it kinda brings out the ol stereotyping of women being easily overpowered and like.. ooh I would have to like temper myself so I did not break her.. pffft.. some of the comments above are frankly laughable..

still your question is certainly not without merit my friend :)

bye bye now
Jenna

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had been "attacked" by a young woman while I was in college. Apparently someone told her I was spreading nasty rumors about her and she confronted me about it. The rumors were obviously bad enough where she didn't just want to talk about it she wanted to kick my ***.
I had just begun the intermediate of my MA training and so I was able to fend off her attempted slaps and punches. That was all I was trying to do and get her to explain why she was trying to beat the crap out of me in the first place.
Eventually I got fed up with the dodges and blocks and managed to get both of her wrists in one hand and then try and hold her there and talk with my free hand (she was/is deaf). Now she started to kick. Ok that tears it.
Open hand slap to her face and she stopped right quick.
She managed to calm down enough to listen and we talked and she discovered that (we) were set up. I apologized as much as I could and she went off and found the guy who "lied" to her.

I didn't feel good about having to resort to doing that but I was getting no help from the (small) crowd that gathered to watch and thus "whap".
We became friends afterwards but it still didn't appease my feelings about having to hit a woman. Something my father taught me; "... a man has No reason to hit a woman... ever!" I still adhere to that nugget of wisdom.

IMO a trained MA male should have the skills necessary to twart any type of attack by a woman (excepting a gun at 10 paces... :D ). same goes for a MA trained woman.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
With every situation being different I will give a generic set of "rules" I use when dealing with situation. 1.)My rules must always start with block and move. The reason for this is that most people hold their breathe and will wear themselve sout within 30 seconds. They may see the error of their ways and calm down after this. 2.) Level of force pyramids play into this step. You must retaliate with the appropriate level of force depending on how bad they are wanting to hurt you. I try my absolute best to limit striking when it comes to females. Joint manipulation and pressure points are prefered. Strinking has way to many unseen variables. Pain compliance is the way to go.

That is about as good as it gets form me on this subject. For the most part I try to not be very far from My Wife and I will let her deal with them. She is a real butt-kicker.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Defend myself.

depending on the amount of intent and if weapons are involced my resulting force in dfending myslef changes
In no way shap or manner do i just stand thee unless I sis somehting to provoke the attack, even then I might be unable to stop a reaction trained into me for do many years

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The gender, size, age, whatever of the person attacking you should be irrelevant. Use whatever level of force is necessary to neutralize the threat. I wouldn't go any easier on a female than a male. FWIW, some of the nastiest fights I've ever seen involved, or were between women.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Something my father taught me; "... a man has No reason to hit a woman... ever!" I still adhere to that nugget of wisdom.

IMO a trained MA male should have the skills necessary to twart any type of attack by a woman (excepting a gun at 10 paces... :D ). same goes for a MA trained woman.

I think that your fathers nugget of wisdom is perhaps outdated and dangerous thinking.

You are telling me that you would not hit a woman if she was intent on harming you or your kids, or other loved ones soley because of her gender?

A trained MA person, regardless of gender is preparing themselves for confrontation, but it does not mean they have the skills to thwart any type of attack. What if the attacker was better trained? What if the woman who was pissed off and attacking you was well trained also? Or armed with a bat or a knife? You need to use ALL your skills at that point, dont you?

I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but the minute you attack me or mine, I no longer see you as GUY or GIRL, or any other factor... I see you as an attacker bent on causing harm. Period.

Latest Discussions