Self Defense in a McDonald's in Arkansas

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Bill Mattocks, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

At the time I was working at McD's, you could smoke in them and they had little aluminum ashtrays, which were often made into weed pipes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

That's a heck of a recall of detail and events

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buka

Buka MT Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on your daughter's wedding, Bill. (You look rather awesome in that photo by the way.)

Glad everything worked out like it did in that Mickey D's. But next time listen to that little voice. I kind of wish I was with you not listening to that voice though.

Bigger question is - did you get fries with that order?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Former law enforcement. I'm a good witness.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

The good old days :)

It’s good to go into a Denny’s late on Friday night and not have to wait for and/or deal with the miscreants doing nothing but smoking cigarettes and getting free refills on their soda for hours though. That got annoying. But perhaps playing Xbox online would’ve killed it anyway if the indoor smoking ban didn’t happen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

I still remember

- I got paid $1.50 an hour when I worked in Kentucky Fried Chicken. After a year and half I got raised to $1.60 an hour.
    - My UT Austin tuition was $200 per semester (for foreign student. local student was $50 per semester).
    - My apartment rent was $30 a month.
    - Gasoline was $0.24 per gallon during gasoline war.
    - Coffee from machine was 5 cent a cup.
    - Candy bar from machine was 10 cent each.

I could work in Kentucky Fried Chicken for 20 hours a week to support myself to finish 4 years college.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I get it. I was a bouncer at little league baseball games for two seasons. I was responsible for protecting the umpires and keeping peace in the bleachers. You'd be surprised how busy I was, lol.

• Like Like x 3
  8. punisher73

punisher73 Senior Master

First, again congrats on the wedding! Your daughter looks beautiful and you look very distinguished in the picture.

Second, Bill made the best of a bad situation. Can't second guess any could've, would've, should've's when he went in. It was what it was and he handled it well without issue.

• Like Like x 3
  9. seasoned

seasoned MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Little league parents are the worst.... :}

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    No. No, I wouldn't.

Youth football games can be worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I refereed youth soccer for 2 seasons. Fortunately it was in my hometown which isn’t very big and quite a few people knew I was competing in and a black belt in a Kyokushin offshoot. One guy got really mouthy because I made a bad call. A friend of mine’s kid was on the same team as his and they were together, so I acknowledged the mistake at halftime. It didn’t change the outcome of the game by any means. The guy gets really ignorant and mildly threatens me. I acted like I didn’t hear it walked away nonchalantly. Wouldn’t you know it, my buddy starts laughing hysterically at him while I’ve got my back turned and tells him “you’ve got no clue who you’re talking $hit to, do you? He’ll knock you out before you knew you what hit you.” I chuckled and had to give my buddy a nod. Felt good for a second or two.

Far worse than what was said to me a bunch times was what the parents were saying to their kids. And the kids were 5-9 years old. A friend of mine started and ran the league, so I was helping him out. I knew the game well enough and did a pretty good job, but I was just doing it for beer money (it was Saturday mornings and they paid me cash, so I had it ready to go for the bars later that night) and to run around a bit. There were far better ways to achieve both, so I stopped after the second season.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I can't argue with that :D

13. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    That's an awesome feeling to be acknowledged like that. Probably had that guy seeing you in a different light :).
    Two seasons was my limit too.

14. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

It was a good feeling for a few seconds. Then it was more of a “so what if my buddy thinks I can kick some jackass who likes to run his mouth’s butt.”

15. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

Best kind - nobody got hurt, especially you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Leviathan

Leviathan White Belt

I find the title misleading: there was no attack so no need to defend yourself and therefore no self defense.

But a smart way to sneak out of a dangerous situation. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Bruce7

Bruce7 Purple Belt

Parents at Competitive Club GOLD team games can be a problem.
    They spend hundreds of dollars for trainers and the teams go all over the country.
    IMO they push young kids much to hard,
    Coaching High School Soccer or High School Tennis, I never had a problem with parent or child.

Most of the time.
    Winning in club is more important than winning state in soccer for scholarships.
    Same is true in tennis, USTA Super Champs in Texas, California, or Florida gets the best scholarships.
    Winning State in Texas for example will get you a lesser scholarship than being a Super Champ in Texas.
    A lot of Super Champs don't play for there high school team
    Which is good because it lets other very good tennis players feel successful that may not have the resources of a Super Champ.

18. Bruce7

Bruce7 Purple Belt

I am sorry to get off topic.
    It just really irritates me that a lot of kids don't get a chance to excel to their potential, because of money.
    As a high school tennis coach I would get freshman with a lot of potential who knew little of tennis or what they did know was wrong.
    Some of these players by their Sr. year made it to state, but they could have done much more with the right resources.
    They could have gotten scholarships they really needed.

UIL limits the number of practice hours per week I can coach the team.
    It was not legal under UIL rules for me to give private lesson to students after practice.
    I could give lesson to anyone, but not my students under UIL rules.

Students with money took expense private lessons and their parents took them all over the state year round playing in USTA tournaments.
    Most parents with money start their children's private lessons at a young age, so they have years of practice before non-rich students ever get started. Sorry for the rant.

19. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Higher level college coaches aren’t recruiting very much based on high school play; it’s more club and other stuff like that that they’re looking at. Simple reason - the level of competition is generally higher. Club teams are far more all-star vs all-star. In high school games there’s a lot more mismatches. You see the players play with and against better players on a regular basis. Of course there’s very high level high school teams, but the overall talent level is diluted compared to club teams. Most of the time anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Sports mirror society. Wealthier people have access to better educational resources too. Private tutoring, elite private schools, etc. Harvard and the like aren’t full of working class and below students for many reasons, this being one of them. They’re not accepting a whole lot of kids from public schools.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1