Train the way you want to train

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you ever feel that everything that you have trained still belong to your teacher (or the style founder), one day suddenly, you feel that you finally start to train for yourself?

For many years I had trained a certain way just because that was the way I was taught. I didn't

- pick up those that I like.
- throw away those that I didn't like.
- add in those that I loved.

For example, for many years I have trained the Shuai Chiao "belt cracking" drills exactly as I had learned. Until one day I started to change it and add more new drills, I then felt that I started to train for myself.

In the past many years, I have created more than 12 new drills like this. I no longer train the old set of drills. I only trained the new set of drills.

Have this kind of thinking ever happen to you?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train as I am taught and trust that in time I will find my enlightenment. So far, this has worked for me.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you don't feel railroaded about the way you train? I've often wondered if I'm on the right track, but in the end I'm on board, full steam ahead!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The master at one time was a student that evolved. An artist learns how to paint but until the strokes become his own they will remain a student and never reach their potential like a Van Gogh. Don't strive to become a master, but, when the time is right the master will appear.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train as I've been taught, but depending on how I respond to that training, I take what works and throw out what I don't like. I'm always experimenting and putting things together when it makes sense to me. But I never stop learning new things, nor do I restrict where I'm learning it as long as it makes sense and works for me.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you don't feel railroaded about the way you train? I've often wondered if I'm on the right track, but in the end I'm on board, full steam ahead!
TMA training can give us enough "depth". But we need to explore more "breadth".

Someone told me that in China there is a book "81 different ways to apply single leg". So far I still have not found that book yet. I then start to analysis myself. How many different ways can I apply my single leg? My teacher taught me N different ways. Can I find some more ways?

When I started to do that. My MA training is more than just to copy whatever my teacher taught me. I'm no longer a "copy machine".

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TMA training can give us enough "depth". But we need to explore more "breadth".

Someone told me that in China there is a book "81 different ways to apply single leg". So far I still have not found that book yet. I then start to analysis myself. How many different ways can I apply my single leg? My teacher taught me N different ways. Can I find some more ways?

I'm sorry. My post had no serious content in it. It was merely full of puns.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you ever feel that everything that you have trained still belong to your teacher (or the style founder), one day suddenly, you feel that you finally start to train for yourself?

For many years I had trained a certain way just because that was the way I was taught. I didn't

- pick up those that I like.
- throw away those that I didn't like.
- add in those that I loved.

For example, for many years I have trained the Shuai Chiao "belt cracking" drills exactly as I had learned. Until one day I started to change it and add more new drills, I then felt that I started to train for myself.

In the past many years, I have created more than 12 new drills like this. I no longer train the old set of drills. I only trained the new set of drills.

Have this kind of thinking ever happen to you?

Absolutely. This is one place you and I run into a lot of agreement, John. There are techniques I perform differently, because I changed some of my basic training methods (drills). That lead to a different understanding of some principles, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of some techniques. And I've changed my overall approach to my primary art. It's definitely much more "mine" now, and a bit more fun for me to practice.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are techniques I perform differently, because I changed some of my basic training methods (drills).
The single leg can be a good example. All wrestlers know how to use hands to grab on their opponent's leading leg. The issue is you have to "change level". When you do that, your head is exposed. The other approach is to let your leg to do 1/2 of the job. Your hand then do the other 1/2 of the job. For example, you can

- knee strike,
- front cut,
- inner hook,
- outer hook,
- knife hook,
- sweep,
- scoop kick,
- sticky lift,

your opponent's leading leg into your hand. This way, you don't have to drop that low. When you start to explore into this area, your single leg knowledge will start to expand.

Here is an example that I can use knee striking to get my opponent's leading leg. Did I learn this from my teacher? I didn't. It's not hard to figure this out from the principle, "your leg do 1/2 of the job, and your hand do the other 1/2 of the job".

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We all need to learn our system from a good teacher, which means learning it the teacher’s way.

Then we need to make it our own. Some of the training methods that our teacher taught us may be worth keeping. Some may benefit from some alterations. Some may be better dropped.

And we can always come up with training methods of our own.

But in the end, we need to take ownership of our own training.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we need to make it our own.
Here is one example that I took my teacher's method and change it.

I learned this combo from my teacher. Since I have to hook my opponent's standing leg before he can drop his leg back down, I only have a small window to do so and my timing is critical.

If I use knee strike to obtain my opponent's leading leg into my hand, I'll have more time to hook his standing leg to take him down.