Self defense against a cougar

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a good point of:

1. what you can do when you fight with everything you got when life depends on it
  2. even without martial training how increased physical fitness improves the odds of survival in encounters
  3. how humans SUCK! - as often these sort of attacks are because the animal is malnourished due to humans destroying the habitat and ecosystem

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just going for a people vs animals thing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I hike, besides my hiking stick, I always carry my spear head with me. If I attach it on my hiking stick, I can fight against mountain lion if I have to. I bought it in Renaissance Festival for about $45. I have hiking stick with knife in it. But the quality is not good enough for serious combat.

spear-head.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have to fight them? Just give in.
To find enough meat resource in the woods is survival skill no 1. When a cougar attack you, to that cougar, you are it's meat. To you, that cougar is your meat.

I had carried my .44 Magnum (with 50 rounds) and fishing pole and disappeared in the Montana mountain (from lake to lake) for 3 weeks. That 3 weeks was quite a challenge. Strongly suggest people to try at least once in their life time.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've often thought about manufacturing some kind of Kevlar neck wrap. Most big cats attack from behind and kill by suffocation.

I've also thought about carrying in state parks. Would it be better to have to answer for that, and be alive or the other alternative?

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To find enough meat resource in the woods is survival skill no 1. When a cougar attack you, to that cougar, you are it's meat. To you, that cougar is your meat.

I had carried my .44 Magnum (with 50 rounds) and fishing pole and disappeared in the Montana mountain (from lake to lake) for 3 weeks. That 3 weeks was quite a challenge. Strongly suggest people to try at least once in their life time.
I think you're using a different definition of cougar than Tez. At least, I hope so...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder what PETA’s response will be? My bet: he shouldn’t have fought back and taken his deserved punishment for encroaching in the cougar’s territory; he’s a murderer.

Just wait.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:)

Please read my post carefully, killing women is murder.:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what PETA’s response will be? My bet: he shouldn’t have fought back and taken his deserved punishment for encroaching in the cougar’s territory; he’s a murderer.

Just wait.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's murder but there is a point in that humans encroach on animal habitats and kill them. it's something we ought to be more careful about.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's murder but there is a point in that humans encroach on animal habitats and kill them. it's something we ought to be more careful about.
Every whacked out PITA statement has a tiny bit of a good point. They almost always start out rational for a minute, then just completely go off the deep end.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I hike, besides my hiking stick, I always carry my spear head with me. If I attach it on my hiking stick, I can fight against mountain lion if I have to. I bought it in Renaissance Festival for about $45. I have hiking stick with knife in it. But the quality is not good enough for serious combat.

spear-head.jpg
They aren't typically going to let you see them before they attack - cougars are ambush hunters, mainly.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just going for a people vs animals thing.

"monkey on the back?" I like how that monkey got into him. First problem was probably showing the monkey that he was afraid. If he wanted that money off the bike, he should have approached like a predator getting reading to eat. Act like he's trying to sneak up on the monkey vs acting like he's trying to stay away from it.

Just wait.
PETA are extreme with their animal protection. Many should volunteer themselves as a food source or go live in the wild in order to get a better understanding that not all animals are helpless and if you put yourself in a bad position they will make sure you know that. They don't practice in balance, which should be more of the push. Balance with nature vs letting nature run uncontrolled or humans run uncontrolled.

There's a difference between hunting and killing something that's attacking you. Man or beast.

Latest Discussions