Self defense against a cougar

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not strictly martial arts related, since it doesn't mention if he's a martial artist. But it goes to show you should always be aware of your surroundings-you can be attacked anywhere.

US runner suffocates cougar after attack

I got attacked by a cougar once as a young man.

If that happens again it's fine because I'm likely to be older than her.

No but seriously I did, not so much attacked but agressively approached. I yelled and picked up my bike over my head to look bigger. The thing ran off.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Read in another article that the Cougar was young and not fully grown which explains how he was able to fight it off. Either way, that’s gotta be some scary moments.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I use to work a tree farm that had a resident cougar and our self defense was a

Smith-and-Wesson-629-Deluxe-13.jpg

and a

634015_ts.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's the approach they'd take in Wyoming. Still a lot of area there that's not really tame, at all.

Don't know what it was, but I had a much better chance with the 44Magnum. I was a fairly good shot with that. However the 30-06....not so good. This was in the mountains of Pa., where there were we were told there were no cougars.....so the rather large cat that looked a lot like this
01-cougar-attack-NationalGeographic_1300877.ngsversion.1526925604851.adapt.1900.1.jpg

That my uncle saw, did not exist...nor did the tracks that were there either. There was also a big old male black bear there too, had a den right on the property, but we were not all that concerned about him

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what it was, but I had a much better chance with the 44Magnum. I was a fairly good shot with that. However the 30-06....not so good. This was in the mountains of Pa., where there were we were told there were no cougars.....so the rather large cat that looked a lot like this
01-cougar-attack-NationalGeographic_1300877.ngsversion.1526925604851.adapt.1900.1.jpg

That my uncle saw, did not exist...nor did the tracks that were there either. There was also a big old male black bear there too, had a den right on the property, but we were not all that concerned about him
Yeah, I'd be less concerned about a black bear, too (we have them around here). As for the cougar, they're pretty secretive, and are often discovered to live in places where they are thought not to exist. A hunter in our area tells me he's spotted spoor of one several times in the area he lives in (heavily wooded for hundreds of acres in all directions), and has even heard it a few times from a distance, though they are reputed not to be in the immediate area.

And I'm probably better off with the revolver, too. I've fired many thousands of rounds out of handguns (both revolver and pistol) and only a few hundred out of long guns. The quick accuracy needed for that situation, I'd much rather have the .44.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what it was, but I had a much better chance with the 44Magnum. I was a fairly good shot with that. However the 30-06....not so good.

I'd stick with the handgun anyway. Because these animals are ambush hunters. Basically, by the time you see it, it's likely to be too close to get the muzzle of the rifle in line. If it's far enough away to use a long gun, it's not hunting you and you should leave it alone.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I hike, besides my hiking stick, I always carry my spear head with me. If I attach it on my hiking stick, I can fight against mountain lion if I have to. I bought it in Renaissance Festival for about $45. I have hiking stick with knife in it. But the quality is not good enough for serious combat.

spear-head.jpg
How long does it take you to attach that to your stick? do you practice doing that too, or just training with it?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd stick with the handgun anyway. Because these animals are ambush hunters. Basically, by the time you see it, it's likely to be too close to get the muzzle of the rifle in line. If it's far enough away to use a long gun, it's not hunting you and you should leave it alone.

I never saw it, never needed to use any gun on it, and if I did see it, and it was not bothering me, I would not bother it. My thought was it had way to many deer to choose from to bother us.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be less concerned about a black bear, too (we have them around here). As for the cougar, they're pretty secretive, and are often discovered to live in places where they are thought not to exist. A hunter in our area tells me he's spotted spoor of one several times in the area he lives in (heavily wooded for hundreds of acres in all directions), and has even heard it a few times from a distance, though they are reputed not to be in the immediate area.

And I'm probably better off with the revolver, too. I've fired many thousands of rounds out of handguns (both revolver and pistol) and only a few hundred out of long guns. The quick accuracy needed for that situation, I'd much rather have the .44.

I always thought it was rather interesting that the state of New Hampshire said it had Cougars and the state of Vermont said it didn't. Apparently Cougars are good at not crossing state lines

Collier%27s_1921_New_Hampshire_and_Vermont.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How long does it take you to attach that to your stick? do you practice doing that too, or just training with it?
I have a wax oak spear pole. I made it shorter for hiking. I always attach the spear head on my hiking stick when I hike by myself. Other hikers always give a weird look when they see me. So I take my spear head off when others are around. How to protect myself in the woods against grizzly bear is always my concern. I have less fear with mountain lion than grizzly bear.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was rather interesting that the state of New Hampshire said it had Cougars and the state of Vermont said it didn't. Apparently Cougars are good at not crossing state lines

Collier%27s_1921_New_Hampshire_and_Vermont.jpg
They're trying to avoid federal regulations.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I should also add I know NH has cougars. I was trailing a moose once for fun, when I was in high school, and then I came across some rather big cat tracks following the moose. the moose tracks took a right across a swamp.... the cat tracks went around. I tried to follow the moose further and that is when I sunk up to my knee in mud. Luckily I got out, almost lost my boot..... in retrospect, seeing as moose are basically big 4 legged bulldozers and not any as friendly as Bullwinkle, and that a Cougar is not something you want to track....I came to the conclusion that 12 grade high school kids are not all that bright :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I live on the coast south of San Francisco, and we have mountain lions in the area. I’ve see Park Service critter-cam photos of them up in the parklands around our area. There are even reported sightings of them walking the streets of my little village in the middle of the night. I live in a spot with some undeveloped land around me and there was a reported sighting not too long ago within a couple hundred yards of my house.

I’ve got a critter-cam set up on the side of my house, I’ve got a verifiable critter super-highway running along my fence line. Lots of pics of deer, fox, coyote, raccoons, skunk, opossum, but so far no mountain lions nor bobcat (I’ve seen bobcat in the area, but never close to the house).

I often do my training in the early morning in my driveway, before the sun is up. I make sure staff or spear is part of my training each time, so I have something at hand if a lion happens by, knowing that they have been sighted nearby. I’m guessing some lion is probably watching me nearly every time, given they are very secretive and you never know if they are there.

I had a neighbor for a while who is an ultra-marathon runner. I would see him leave in the early morning for a run before sunrise, with a red bicycle light on his back so he can be seen by cars (few streetlights in the area, and at least part of his run was on the coastal highway). I always wondered if the bicycle light might be a bit like a laser pointer and could entice a big cat to give chase, like a houscat does with the laser.

Latest Discussions