Sekf Learning in martial art.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what point in learning head kicks when you can't use them in real competition or fight.

Whoever told you this was either lying or ignorant.
While they may be less common than low kicks, high kicks are used regularly in both competition and self defense.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whoever told you this was either lying or ignorant.
While they may be less common than low kicks, high kicks are used regularly in both competition and self defense.

I think he said. What point is there to learning high kicks without learning how to use them in fighting context.

I dont think he meant they could not be used but as än example of learning a technique is not same as learning to use said technique.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Phobius got it right. I regularly watch ufc and have seen some effective use of high kicks. Well kyukoshin guys use high kick in close range very much effectively.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you guys, just for me, take a look at tutorials on YouTube by a guy Kwonkicker. And more tell me whether a person knowing one martial art learn another by self if both belong to same class striking or ground game.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you guys, just for me, take a look at tutorials on YouTube by a guy Kwonkicker. And more tell me whether a person knowing one martial art learn another by self if both belong to same class striking or ground game.
Ok, just for you. During a quick look, I didn' find anything ridiculous (which happens often on youtube). And the girls made me click on the next video...

Follow him, if you believe it is really your best option. But after the solo training, try with a (moving) partner. Low speed, protections... Take care of yourselves. But the tiny adjustments of distance, timing (...) are essential for a successful application (I am just repeating someone here, sorry :) ). Remember that.

I am not sure if I understood the second question. Anyway, my answer is 'same class - striking or ground game' is not specific enough. Generally speaking, one art helps the other (you get fit if nothing else), but the opposite may also happen (the normal or valuable in one style, may be a weakness on the next one.
Example of advantage and disadvantage: Boxing helps Muay Thai. Head movement of boxing may expose you to kicks and knees. At the end is up to you to adapt to a different ruleset.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I am joining a MA school anyway but will attend only on Saturday and sunday.
Thank you all guys, it really helped to get out of dilemma whether to join a club or do it self. Surely, I can't practice footwork by myself.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will bother you if I am in doubt with respect to any aspect of the matter again.;)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't practice footwork by myself.
Perhaps you can as a shy start, or mixed with training with people.
Currently. I am also looking for a club. And I can do something about footwork alone. But, at some point, it needs to be calibrated by opposition (or it will be just dancing, eventually...)

Keep going. :)