Secretariat

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had the privilege to see Secretariat’s last race back on October 28, 1973, I was just seven years old but I still remember it vividly today.

When he was put down back in 1989, I was heart broken, it was like something from my childhood was gone forever.

Seen the movie Secretariat tonight, not the best movie ever made but a good one. Brought back some memories.

Big Reds last race….I’m in the crowd somewhere!

[yt]g0o19eUFfe0[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ken, for sharing, yes this great racer brought back good memories for me also.
icon7.gif

I never saw him race, but I remember even my parents, who were no fans of horse racing, be excited about how well he raced. I too was saddened when he was put down. He brought the sport outside the realm of the wealthy and the gamblers. :asian:

I was never a horse racing fan but my uncle owns a couple horses he races so I've heard the name Secretariat. To me though it seems like your typical Disney movie where you know the outcome and you know they'll spend 2 hours going for the heart strings trying to depress the hell out of you.

He was an amazing great machine, genetic perfection. ( I am sooo sorry that Dynaformer son Barbaro tore himself apart. He remined me of Big Red) His sons and daughters dominante the sport still. I am lucky enough to have had some Princequillo/Bold Reason horses as well as Buckpasser/RoundTable kids too. Nothing beats the toughness and heart of the Old Bloodhorses. They can be hell through thier teenage years and a handfull to ride but I still love em. I kinda wish they could clone big red. It would be interesting to see what would happen.

Lori

Back