SD/Traditional TKD and Sport Training!!!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
a high level.

Can we all agree? Like the sport or not that it takes allot of hard work and skill to compete in Olympic style TKD at the Highest levels?

I'll go one better than that: it takes a LOT of hard work to play that game AT ALL without ending up sucking wind and being a wheezing, panting target.

Continuous rounds + full contact (+ wearing that damn hogu and head gear!) = SIGNIFICANTLY increased demand on cardio

than, say, point style sparring with breaking for each point.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You drop the "Do" since this type of competition has no more to do with self-improvement than baseball and I think you're on to something.

Pax,

Chris

I have to agree: from my observation, the "Do" part isn't really stressed among the WTF sport schools.

I'm sure there are exceptions, and I may have just got the wrong impression from the few I have visited, but that IS the impression I came away with.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You drop the "Do" since this type of competition has no more to do with self-improvement than baseball and I think you're on to something.

Pax,

Chris
There is much to be learned through competition, baseball or any other sport.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is much to be learned through competition, baseball or any other sport.
Sure. But that is not the same as 'do' as it is in Eastern martial arts.

You can learn a lot of good things from many activities, sports, and hobbies, but that does not make them a 'do.'

Daniel

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. But that is not the same as 'do' as it is in Eastern martial arts.

You can learn a lot of good things from many activities, sports, and hobbies, but that does not make them a 'do.'

Daniel
True Daniel, but the OP stated that it had nothing to do with self improvement. Sure it does. He also stated that baseball also had nothing to do with self improvement. I beg to differ. Many little league programs are for just that, improving the lives of kids through team work and competition and the spirit of fun.

Competing in sport TKD also develops a work ethic, goal setting, perseverance, integrity, and a few more characteristics that are all apart of self improvement. And for many that can translate into a way of life.

Many people state that they take from sports and apply it to everyday life. That is "Do".

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then the question is whether or not self improvement is 'do', though I do like your illustration with baseball. I still do not consider sports or sport TKD to have 'do' in the traditional sense, but that is of course my opinion.

The main reason that I would advocate calling it TK-Sport instead of TK-Do has nothing to do with that opinion so much as to differentiate the two. What is called "Traditional" by Gorilla came first and is taekwondo. The sport has evolved away from that and should be called something else in my opinion.

Note: this does not denote superiority of one over the other. The two are different tools for different jobs.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many of you will know Dave Lowry as a traditional karate man and I believe he does some iaido too. Here is an article he wrote on the Japanese concept of "Do" or Way. http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=82

The writing is a little dense for a numbskull like me, but I get the impression that any type of competitive endeavor would not fit the Way described by Lowry Sensei.

Latest Discussions