will be see...???

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
With the use of e-hogus will be see more ofthen kicks like ap-chagis (front kicks) and yop chagis (side kicks) to earn points? The kicks I've been seeing for exelence are the roundhouse kick (even doubles and triples), ax kicks and hook kicks.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
No you won't Manny. The e-hogus determine points in two ways, pressure and contact. The contact must be made with the part of the foot that has the sensor on it, that happens to be the instep (top of foot) and heel. The pressure needed to be valid contact can only come from certain kicks.

The front kick fails to deliver the needed pressure and cannot be delivered using the contact area designed into the system, there is no sensor on the ball of foot.

Now the side kick could be used but due to the speed of the game on a high level is to slow and predictable a kick and easily dodged or guarded against, the risk reward is not simply not great enough to use this kick.

Ax kicks will be use a bit more as head contact is 3 points and there will be an uptick in attempts to the head.

But simply put the game still requires round kicks and back kick as the primary scoring kicks. Punches will increase a bit to as judges will be looking to do something so they will score punches more than in the past.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
No you won't Manny. The e-hogus determine points in two ways, pressure and contact. The contact must be made with the part of the foot that has the sensor on it, that happens to be the instep (top of foot) and heel. The pressure needed to be valid contact can only come from certain kicks.

The front kick fails to deliver the needed pressure and cannot be delivered using the contact area designed into the system, there is no sensor on the ball of foot.

Now the side kick could be used but due to the speed of the game on a high level is to slow and predictable a kick and easily dodged or guarded against, the risk reward is not simply not great enough to use this kick.

Ax kicks will be use a bit more as head contact is 3 points and there will be an uptick in attempts to the head.

But simply put the game still requires round kicks and back kick as the primary scoring kicks. Punches will increase a bit to as judges will be looking to do something so they will score punches more than in the past.
hopefully you are right about the punches , Id love to see some more punching within the current rule set.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Holloway said this past weekend that Punches were gonna be scored more. They were trying to make a concious effort to start. But only a reverse punch and a front straight punch. Both would have to be hard and solid, not necesarily having to move the opponent. double punches, backfist, and anyothers.... forget it.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my other thread, we saw some good fights and some bad fights this weekend. There is a really big disparity in the level of players between certain countries.

I did see at least 3 front kicks score. And I have no idea how many cut kicks I saw score but there were plenty. Just a simple kick to create space and wham a point goes up.

I totally disagree with the assessment that force of contact has much of anything to do with creating a point with the lajust system. It is strictly about hitting the right part of the hogu with the right part of the foot. I have seen the hardest, cleanest kicks go unscored and I have seen the tinyest of light grazes count for a point. I know that force is supposed to be a factor, but I have seen no actual evidence that it is. If you watch round 1 of the videos I posted, for example, before the fighting starts the fighters each hit the other's hogus with a roundhouse kick. This is to ensure that the hogus are working. There is no great amount of force in their test kicks, but test points are registered. And I saw that in every weight category, not just this past weekend but at the last 2 US Opens as well.

And as I have also mentioned here in several previous threads, yes, punches will begin to score more and more and judges will push buttons just to feel needed.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my other thread, we saw some good fights and some bad fights this weekend. There is a really big disparity in the level of players between certain countries.

I did see at least 3 front kicks score. And I have no idea how many cut kicks I saw score but there were plenty. Just a simple kick to create space and wham a point goes up.

I totally disagree with the assessment that force of contact has much of anything to do with creating a point with the lajust system. It is strictly about hitting the right part of the hogu with the right part of the foot. I have seen the hardest, cleanest kicks go unscored and I have seen the tinyest of light grazes count for a point. I know that force is supposed to be a factor, but I have seen no actual evidence that it is. If you watch round 1 of the videos I posted, for example, before the fighting starts the fighters each hit the other's hogus with a roundhouse kick. This is to ensure that the hogus are working. There is no great amount of force in their test kicks, but test points are registered. And I saw that in every weight category, not just this past weekend but at the last 2 US Opens as well.

And as I have also mentioned here in several previous threads, yes, punches will begin to score more and more and judges will push buttons just to feel needed.
Yes mango.man your points are true, but they are just flaws in the system right now. Those flaws will be fixed by either LaJust or the use of a different system down the line.

The funniest thing I saw at this past US Open was a sudden death match where one competitor fell down and the other trip over her while she was on the ground. Guess what? A point was scored while the other girl was trying to step over the fallen girl and tripped and the sock made contact with the hogu. Point! Girl got up ref looked at the score board and the girl on the ground lost. The girl that tripped and got the point from the girl on the ground even look shocked that she got a point somehow. Yet the point stood.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
That just sounds frustrating! Is the technology only by this one company (monopoly?)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As it stands LaJust is the WTF system of choice. However there are other manufactures that are being tested. Korea and the overseas orgs really lead the way. They have been testing other system and even used and tested LaJust before it became the system of choice here in the US. But for now WTF is under contract with LaJust. I think only for 2 more years though.

If I am wrong someone will correct me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is they all need some work, they simply are not there yet.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as I can see the electric gear is not was it was supossed and there are alot of controversy still abou how a point is erned. This has not to shock me because I am not a competitor but as a referee or judge this can lend to mishunderatandings amoun competitors and coaches.

At this point even I have not had the oportunity of see this e-gear been used I have no confidence on it.

manny

Latest Discussions