Schrade knives, how is the quality?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with them from what I have seen, but to be fair, I don't have a ton of personal experience. I'm more of a Spyderco guy when it comes to folders.

They do a lot of slim handle jobs. So if you wanted a knife you could use as a kubotan then they are more of a go. Also more tacticool. Got flippers and pressure point bits and stuff like that. The spyderco does a better job of being a knife.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Schrade makes some good knives and some not so good...
Many of their fixed blades are of 8Cr13MoV Stainless which is very similar to AUS 8 stainless.
Some of their heavier blades are of 1095 Carbon Steel which is a more robust steel for a survival or camp knife. Sharpens easily and maintains its edge well.
8Cr13MoV isn't as strong but is a good steel but I wouldn't attempt to use it as a prybar. I find it doesn't retain its edge as well as 1095.

A little late to the party but...

The main thing I like about that steel though is for survival/camp work. 1095 can rust pretty darn fast and, in PA, it can be both really humid and wet at times. Not having to bring some mineral oil along to preserve the blade is a bonus for me, especially in terms of packing my "go bag". In other climates I would likely go with 1095 or 5160, for the reasons you noted. To address the lower strength though (between the 8CR... and the 1095) Schrade does make the blades a little thicker. I have a SCHF10 which is a little thicker that the SCHF9 I assume for just that reason, as well as being a little wider from the edge of the belly to the spine. Dang can that thing chop for a sub-6 inch edge blade thanks to that recurve edge.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to humidity and moisture...I'm in South Louisiana where we get over 4 feet of rain a year and when humidity is in the 80's it's a dry day. Most of my fixed blades are 1095 or 5160. Having a good patina on the blade greatly increases the protection of the blade. If one attempts to keep the blade clean, polished and shiny I agree maintaining the blade becomes a concern.

The SCHF10 does an excellent job chopping for a 5" blade.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For humidity and moisture. Victorianox is the go.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yep, not strong enough to hold up. So I use 1095. Strong, holds an edge, easily resharpens, and with a good patina doesn't rust.

Depends what you want. I pretty much use stainless. Victorianox for the kayack. Or for food.

Gerber strong arm or falkniven for a fixed blade. Which I basically never use now anyway.

But the falkniven is some magic stainless (laminated VG10) and the gerber is a basic 420.

Both work fine.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to humidity and moisture...I'm in South Louisiana where we get over 4 feet of rain a year and when humidity is in the 80's it's a dry day. Most of my fixed blades are 1095 or 5160. Having a good patina on the blade greatly increases the protection of the blade. If one attempts to keep the blade clean, polished and shiny I agree maintaining the blade becomes a concern.

The SCHF10 does an excellent job chopping for a 5" blade.

I will admit my next blade purchase is likely going to be High Carbon. I am eyeing the Kbar Kukri Machete and the Condor Heavy duty machete. I really like the K-tact but it's a bit more pricey.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will admit my next blade purchase is likely going to be High Carbon. I am eyeing the Kbar Kukri Machete and the Condor Heavy duty machete. I really like the K-tact but it's a bit more pricey.

Correction Condor Heavy duty Kukri. I like them as survival/camp knives, they are so damn flexible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In situations where losing a blade is a real possibility I'd be less likely to carry an expensive one.
For me (as @AngryHobbit can attest), that's pretty much all situations. I love nice pens, and have found some nice-ish ones under $20, so I don't feel bad when they decide to run away from home. Same thing for pocket knives.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me (as @AngryHobbit can attest), that's pretty much all situations. I love nice pens, and have found some nice-ish ones under $20, so I don't feel bad when they decide to run away from home. Same thing for pocket knives.

I think that is my main reason for loving Schrade. Their knives are solid as all heck and I have "monkey rolled" down a slope more than once where gear could have been lost. I would LOVE for camping/survival a Tom Brown tracker but if I lost a $200+ knife under those circumstances I would be screaming inside.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

best pen by the way.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
They aren't pretty enough, DB. I require they write well and look nice to me. I'm kinda low-budget pen snobby.

Lol, my girlfriend is a total peacenik but wrote with this pen I carry and wanted it as a Christmas present because...not expensive, writes smooth as heck and has good weight in the hand. Nothing to do with what we talk about lol

uzi-tacpen8-bk_1.jpg

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the overall quality of schrade knives? I believe they have been around for a good long time, are they good quality for the price?

I spotted a knife in a knife shop, i admit that I have absolutely no need for it, but it caught my eye.

It's a big fixed-blade, probably 5 or 6 inches long and rather wide, hollow-ground, with full tang visible around the entire outline of the handle. Blade is quite thick, definitely more so than a ka-bar for example, could probably use it as a pry bar if need be. It's heavy, due to blade thickness.

Comes with a soft sheath built around a hard lining for the blade, with pouch for whetstone, lanyards and tiedown straps for the leg. I don't care much for that, but the knife itself is nice.

Priced at $82.00.

Any thoughts? Is schrade a good, trusted company?

From what I've heard they are a good company. You might want to checkout Cold Steel as well. I've bought knives and swords from them and haven't been disappointed yet.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know divers who carry some really nice titanium blades. Not me. If I drop one, or it falls out of the sheath, it might be 3000' down. Or in the muck on the floor of a cave. Either way, I'm not finding it. I buy a $6 packet of steak knives and grind off the points.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know divers who carry some really nice titanium blades. Not me. If I drop one, or it falls out of the sheath, it might be 3000' down. Or in the muck on the floor of a cave. Either way, I'm not finding it. I buy a $6 packet of steak knives and grind off the points.
Mine wasn't quite that cheap. Somewhere I still have the stainless dive knife I carried - it was probably the equivalent of $25, accounting for inflation since the early '80's.

Latest Discussions