Schrade knives, how is the quality?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the overall quality of schrade knives? I believe they have been around for a good long time, are they good quality for the price?

I spotted a knife in a knife shop, i admit that I have absolutely no need for it, but it caught my eye.

It's a big fixed-blade, probably 5 or 6 inches long and rather wide, hollow-ground, with full tang visible around the entire outline of the handle. Blade is quite thick, definitely more so than a ka-bar for example, could probably use it as a pry bar if need be. It's heavy, due to blade thickness.

Comes with a soft sheath built around a hard lining for the blade, with pouch for whetstone, lanyards and tiedown straps for the leg. I don't care much for that, but the knife itself is nice.

Priced at $82.00.

Any thoughts? Is schrade a good, trusted company?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Schrade makes some good knives and some not so good...
Many of their fixed blades are of 8Cr13MoV Stainless which is very similar to AUS 8 stainless.
Some of their heavier blades are of 1095 Carbon Steel which is a more robust steel for a survival or camp knife. Sharpens easily and maintains its edge well.
8Cr13MoV isn't as strong but is a good steel but I wouldn't attempt to use it as a prybar. I find it doesn't retain its edge as well as 1095.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think for $82 you can find something better. I follow some of the knife boards and the overall opinion seems to be that the quality has gone down since they farmed manufacturing out to China. That is second hand opinion though.....

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've been doing a bit of google-fu and apparently the company closed and sold the name to Taylor Brands LLC who apparently manufactures under a number of brands, including Smith &Wesson, Old Timer, and some others, and do their work in china. I've also seen some reviews of 1095 steel for knives, with some mixed opinions, some quite strongly against its use as a knife steel.

So I'm leaning away from it. It's too bad when an old, established name brand takes on a new, deteriorated identity.

At any rate, if I am going to put money down for something, I want to feel confident that the quality is good. I also recognize that for under a hundred bucks, you will not get premium quality, and if I spent a thousand dollars for a high end knife, I would be afraid to use it for fear of damage or losing it. A knife is a tool, and if used it will get worn or damaged or lost some day, so decide at what price point do you want to shop, and be willing to accept those risks along with it.

But for 80-100, maybe some better materials might be available? I dunno, maybe for under a hundred bucks, a heavy blade made from 1095 might be reasonable?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you can get thousands of good knive for that money. You can get them for under a hundred in Australia. And we generally pay a lot for knives.

What do you want the knife to do?

I dont use 1095 because I live in a rainforest by the sea and hi carbon melts here. Otherwise It will work fine.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
benchmade (probably bushcraft knife) for under a hundred though?

And by the way OP. Start with a cheap knife. for example you could get a benchmade bushcrafter. Great knife at mabye $300.

or you cou,d get a condor bushlore that will do basically everything the benchmade will do for $60.

Now the benchmade is nicer. Better fit and finish. Mabye a better factory edge. But durability wise. No difference.

Now your issue will be is a 4 inch bushcrafter the right kind of knife? because if it is not then a thousand dollar knife made of mythril will not be the right pick.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also check out ESEE, a bit over $100 but generally get rave reviews from the knife knurds

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
or you could make your own.....

PhotoJun0455143PM.jpg

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the overall quality of schrade knives? I believe they have been around for a good long time, are they good quality for the price?

I spotted a knife in a knife shop, i admit that I have absolutely no need for it, but it caught my eye.

It's a big fixed-blade, probably 5 or 6 inches long and rather wide, hollow-ground, with full tang visible around the entire outline of the handle. Blade is quite thick, definitely more so than a ka-bar for example, could probably use it as a pry bar if need be. It's heavy, due to blade thickness.

Comes with a soft sheath built around a hard lining for the blade, with pouch for whetstone, lanyards and tiedown straps for the leg. I don't care much for that, but the knife itself is nice.

Priced at $82.00.

Any thoughts? Is schrade a good, trusted company?

What are you looking to use the knife for? Self defense, camp blade, utility, all of the above? Some companies do most (if not all) of their knives well, others do a real good job with one purpose but then not so much with another.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just avoid Smith and Wesson knives.
They make one good knife. I have a rescue knife with spring loaded window break, saw/seat belt cutter and flat head screwdriver tip that has lasted me 19 years. However don't know anyone but a first responder who would look at that and say "I need that."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Spyderco's Byrd line. They're a bit cheaper than the regular line, but still good quality. Prices are reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are you looking to use the knife for? Self defense, camp blade, utility, all of the above? Some companies do most (if not all) of their knives well, others do a real good job with one purpose but then not so much with another.
Honestly, I have no need or immediate use for it. It just caught my eye. The shop owner was presenting it as a "hunting" knife and I guess it could be that. It could also be a fighting knife, it's a fairly large fixed blade. But I do like knives and swords and tomahawks and such, just a personal interest.

If I strapped it to my leg, I suspect I might start to fit Bill Mattox's description in his thread on tactical pens. I've got the beard, I can get away with wearing an Australian style cowboy hat, but don't have a 4x4 or an AR15 and don't wear BDUs or Doc. martins or tattoos, but it's a progressional thing...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Gerber, as a company and overall quality?

I think Gerber makes a decent knife for the price. They're relatively inexpensive, take and hold a reasonable edge, and if I lose one I wouldn't feel bad.

I do have a fondness for the Benchmade, but if I were to lose one, I'd be unhappy, due to their cost.
In situations where losing a blade is a real possibility I'd be less likely to carry an expensive one.
For example, when I'm diving.Things fall out of pouches, or get dropped. If I'm 300 feet down, get a little narced, and drop a knife chasing it down would be idiotic. There are lots of dive knives available, and some are pretty pricey. Personally, I carry a cheapo. My favorite solution is to buy a box of cheap steak knives (like, WalMart cheap...) and grind the tips off.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Gerber makes a decent knife for the price. They're relatively inexpensive, take and hold a reasonable edge, and if I lose one I wouldn't feel bad.

I do have a fondness for the Benchmade, but if I were to lose one, I'd be unhappy, due to their cost.
In situations where losing a blade is a real possibility I'd be less likely to carry an expensive one.
For example, when I'm diving.Things fall out of pouches, or get dropped. If I'm 300 feet down, get a little narced, and drop a knife chasing it down would be idiotic. There are lots of dive knives available, and some are pretty pricey. Personally, I carry a cheapo. My favorite solution is to buy a box of cheap steak knives (like, WalMart cheap...) and grind the tips off.
Very good points, all the way around. Thx for the feedback.