SCA Combat

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't have many Aztecs up in the North York Moors, we've had Romans, Normans, Anglo Saxons and Vikings in the past leaving their weapons behind as well as the lot from all the civil wars we've had plus the Wars of the Roses armies all for real and now we have all the historical societies acting it out but no Aztecs I'm afraid so they'll get left out sadly. We are overburdened with history as it is!!
One of the hardest things about practicing WMA is limiting your choice of study. You could start out with I.33 and go through 2 Longsword traditions (or 3, depending on how you view English), numerous sidesword, countless variations of Rapier (at least a dozen or so), 3 or 4 major traditions of Sabre, and that's just for SWORDS! When you start talking about hitting people with sticks, well, what kind of sticks? Quarterstaffs? There are at least 4 or 5 sources you could potentially work from as a base. 5' staffs? Hutton? Jogo? What about canes? HOLY SMOKES! all the possibilities!!! Every WMA instructor I know who has any interest at all teaches a different historical cane system (and that's when they teach only ONE cane system!). I, myself, study two and have dabbled in others. Then there's all the wrestling styles and pugililsm on top of it!

Oh wait! We forgot the various KNIFE styles!!!!!

wheee! :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've played in the SCA off and on for years, never really was fully into it but got my share of time in. Less time now means most of my gear is gathering dust.

Passing on the technical discussion, which is highly informative, alot of people seem to be overlooking the fact that participating in a full contact sport where you get to hit your opponent in the head real hard with a stick is a ton of fun :).