Conquest on History Channel

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just saw most of this episode on Conquest and it looked to me like an excellent Knife Fighting Seminar.

http://www.historychannel.com/globa...se.jsp?NetwCode=THC&EGrpType=Series&Id=230459

Next Airing: Monday, Jul 14 @ 2:30am ET/PT
Knives and Daggers
Among the most basic killing tools developed by man, knives and daggers were as essential to the Stone Age cave dweller as they are to a modern Special Forces commando. We examine their history and evolution and see how their use in combat has changed over the ages. Then, series host Peter Woodward leads the Conquest Team in an intense hand-to-hand knife battle. The team members fight each other using skills taught to them by a martial arts master--until there is only one man left standing!__TV PG

General Show info
About Conquest: Tune-in Sundays at 10.30pm/9.30c! Whether it's ancient combat or modern sports, Conquest issues a challenge to host Peter Woodward to conquer a highly unusual array of skills. Woodward's body and mind are repeatedly challenged as he pits himself against the masters of various disciplines, in tests ranging from the medieval tournament to the demolition derby; from weird weapons of the Middle Ages to bull riding and knights in plate armor.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are welcome. I recorded some of it, I'm not sure how much, but some of the info they discussed I had seen verbatim in Knife fighting classes and seminars I'd attended before.

Very cool. Tell me what you think. You do Arnis right? So you are very familiar with fighting with sticks and knives?

S

Shadow Hunter

I was not impressed. It is kind of sad to see the silliness that the host was showing and the students were doing. But on the other hand, if that is what is considered the best out there, then I have little to worry about.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the "team" only has about four days to "master" a skill they know little or nothing about. I think the show is more for giving a brief overview of what ever subject the episode is on than to actually master the art. He did a show on greco-roman wrestling and wound up getting trounced by a college wrestler. But I learned a few things about competitive wrestling that I didn't know. The same with bull riding and the french Musketeers and Roman gladiators. All in all it's a fairly entertaining show (often with some tongue in cheek humor) with just enough information to peak the interest of the viewer and get them to look more deeply into what ever the episode was on.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also liked the attitude of the host.
This was the first episode I've seen and as I said, I was amazed that some of that stuff was out of Daggar Set and Knife Fighting Seminars I've had in the past.

Cool Show. Entertaining and informative. I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked it.
:asian:

S

Shadow Hunter

Four days???? Give me four hours and I could have turned out better fighters than those guys.

I guess it must be hard for that host to cover so many different subjects on a weekly scheduale. It is no wonder that he can't produce anyone with any level of skill. How much skill could he have himself?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't believe the host puts forth any claim to martial skills of any sort. He is an actor and fight choreographer. I'm under the impression that the show is supposed to be more pure entertainment and a little info than an in depth look at whatever the show is about. He does do a good job at discussing the psychological side of what ever he does. I'm certain he could show me a thing or two about acting in a four hour period.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed it well enough and in fact also watched the "Pirate Weapons" episode which featured much swordplay. The absence of discussion of FMA in the knife episode was glaring though! Definitely a Western bias.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watch the show all the time and I don't think I've ever noticed much emphasis on much other than european influences in what ever style of fighting they are discussing. Given that they were discussing (for the most part) daggers and stilletos and such popular in medieval times that FMA didn't have much influence on the fighting style of the time. They did a grappling show recently that dealt more with greco-roman style than anything else. I keep waiting for a show on asian martial arts but won't hold my breath.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched the medieval jousting and the Roman Legion episodes yesterday. Interesting, though very much staged. I also watched the SWAT ("Urban Ops") episode (see the second post here). It's worth checking this show periodically to see what they're doing!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are still showing in reruns, and there can be some good stuff in the episodes. I learned some stuff from the recently shown one on archery.

Latest Discussions