Savoury Protein

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Protein shakes are a very convenient way of ensuring one takes in sufficient protein especially on training days and if one is a vegetarian. But, I get a bit tired (nauseated) of drinking sweetened protein shakes (of various flavours) several times a day and was wondering if anyone knows if ‘savoury protein’ drinks exist to break the monotony of sweet protein shakes?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Protein shakes are a very convenient way of ensuring one takes in sufficient protein especially on training days and if one is a vegetarian. But, I get a bit tired (nauseated) of drinking sweetened protein shakes (of various flavours) several times a day and was wondering if anyone knows if ‘savoury protein’ drinks exist to break the monotony of sweet protein shakes?
Ribeye milkshakes. Mmm savory

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ribeye milkshakes. Mmm savory
I was gonna say, with the right processor/blender you can make a shake out of almost anything. Beef, imho, doesn't make a great shake though.

Some of the shakes I've known people to drink, I can't even utter. Really gross stuff.

But to keep it simple: eggshake. Poach or hard boil a few eggs, add some milk or cream, even salt and pepper, blend. If you're a tough guy, soda water makes it an "egg cream" and adds bubbles.

I never recommend eating raw eggs, but the eggshake is basically the classic "Raw Eggs Rocky", only safer and tastier.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say, with the right processor/blender you can make a shake out of almost anything. Beef, imho, doesn't make a great shake though.

Some of the shakes I've known people to drink, I can't even utter. Really gross stuff.

But to keep it simple: eggshake. Poach or hard boil a few eggs, add some milk or cream, even salt and pepper, blend.

I never recommend eating raw eggs, but this is basically the classic "Raw Eggs Rocky", only safer and tastier.

Yes, but I’d just eat those things rather than going to the hassle of cooking and blending (and then washing the blender and pots and pans).

I was thinking of something with the convenience of regular protein shakes. Even Huel don’t make a savoury, powdered protein shake.

Have I spotted a gap in the market or are most people able to easily gulp down 4-6 sweet protein shakes?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but I’d just eat those things rather than going to the hassle of cooking and blending (and then washing the blender and pots and pans).

I was thinking of something with the convenience of regular protein shakes. Even Huel don’t make a savoury, powdered protein shake.

Have I spotted a gap in the market or are most people able to easily gulp down 4-6 sweet protein shakes?
First and foremost, you can look at the "hassle" as part of your daily training regimen. I'm a chef, and the #1 dish washer around my own parts. I probably burn 1500 calories a day just being me, before exercise.

Watch that video carefully. Rocky carefully cracks and drops 5 whole eggs while listening to Philly morning AM radio. That's about 30g of protein. He's about to go running, but breakfast comes first. Hopefully without a side of salmonella.

This is a DIY, dude. Nobody makes what you want, you have to learn yourself.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, you can look at the "hassle" as part of your daily training regimen. I'm a chef, and the #1 dish washer around my own parts. I probably burn 1500 calories a day just being me, before exercise.
I’m a lazy sod! Being a chef is seriously hard work from what I see on TV. I wish to avoid that at all costs!😀
Watch that video carefully. Rocky carefully cracks and drops 5 whole eggs while listening to Philly morning AM radio. That's about 30g of protein. He's about to go running, but breakfast comes first. Hopefully without a side of salmonella.
He actually dies of renal failure due to the salmonella he contracts from those eggs! They used a doppelgänger for the remaining films 😑
This is a DIY, dude. Nobody makes what you want, you have to learn yourself.
Yes, so it seems…

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m a lazy sod! Being a chef is seriously hard work from what I see on TV. I wish to avoid that at all costs!😀

He actually dies of renal failure due to the salmonella he contracts from those eggs! They used a doppelgänger for the remaining films 😑

Yes, so it seems…
I'm kind of a Rambo/First Blood guy, when it comes to cooking, and cleaning dishes.

I just started watching "The Bear", which is supposed to be the latest "foodie" craze. All of my friends scream at me, "you have to watch this!!!". I had to turn it off last night. Too real.

Seriously, buy a blender and just puree stuff. Avoid animal proteins, they get stringy. Eggs are the exception, they blend with anything but Vegans.

Blend eggs, peanut butter, milk, and chocolate. OMG. I'm off to the races.

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of a Rambo/First Blood guy, when it comes to cooking, and cleaning dishes.
😆
I just started watching "The Bear", which is supposed to be the latest "foodie" craze. All of my friends scream at me, "you have to watch this!!!". I had to turn it off last night. Too real.
On U.K. television, there is a always a competitive cooking programme…every night…with people crying because their soufflé hasn’t risen sufficiently or their espuma doesn‘t retain it’s bubbles and judges criticising the contestants with expressions usually sported by Crown court judges hearing a murder case! I find these programmes trite and I avoid them at all costs! I’m pretty certain they’re the reason there’s a chef recruitment issue here in the U.K: they’d put anyone off entering that industry. You have my true admiration for being in this occupation, Oily Dragon.
Seriously, buy a blender and just puree stuff. Avoid animal proteins, they get stringy Eggs are the exception, they blend with anything but Vegans.
Hmmm…I might just try that. I could hire a little man to wash my blender…🤔
Blend eggs, peanut butter, milk, and chocolate. OMG. I'm off to the races.
<eats a bowl of cottage cheese>

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just buy unsweetened, unflavored, whey protein. You can just shake or blend it up with whatever you want and then drink it. If I'm in a hurry or don't want sweet I don't add anything and just swallow it quickly, kind of like medicine. I sometimes add a couple of scoops of peanut or almond butter as well, and that's kind of savory but it definitely requires a blender not a shaker cup.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, so it seems…
That, like a lot of your posts are really very funny! Thank you.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hear me out: Vanilla Whey Cream Cayenne Pepper smoothie.

I'm working on this now.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it was chocolate instead of (or in addition to) vanilla I'd be on board. And maybe chipotle pepper
Chipotles are very weak compared to Cayenne pepper, which his why Channing Tatum poured cayenne pepper sauce on his corn flakes in Foxcatcher. Wrestlers' Breakfast.

Chocolate makes a better post-workout treat. Vanilla doesn't but it's better than "unflavored" anything.

Vanilla cream, Frank's Red Hot, soda water, lowfat chocolate milk...eggs...

Last edited:

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chipotles are very weak compared to Cayenne pepper,
Sure, and I like some heat, but I think the smoky flavor of the chipotles might be nice with the chocolate. I'm not averse to cayenne and chipotles if you feel the cayenne is needed.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just buy unsweetened, unflavored, whey protein. You can just shake or blend it up with whatever you want and then drink it. If I'm in a hurry or don't want sweet I don't add anything and just swallow it quickly, kind of like medicine. I sometimes add a couple of scoops of peanut or almond butter as well, and that's kind of savory but it definitely requires a blender not a shaker cup.
Oh, you can buy unsweetened unflavoured whey powder? That might be a good option to explore: a bit of miso paste…🤔

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, you can buy unsweetened unflavoured whey powder? That might be a good option to explore: a bit of miso paste…🤔
Yep. Looking at Amazon UK it's available, though it looks like there are fewer options than in the US. Still, I expect you could get it most places that sell sports supplements and the like.

EDIT: You'll want to make sure you read the label carefully because the default is to be flavored and sweetened and sometimes they don't make that obvious.

Latest Discussions