Sandusky guilty

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
About 15 minutes ago, news outlets released reports on the conviction of Jerry Sandusky
on 45 counts. Coverage continues.

A good day for those young men who took the unimaginably brave step of facing
him in court and defying him and all those who did not believe them or dismissed
their horrific experiences.

I've been with survivors of abuse and sexual assault in the courtroom as a legal advocate
and watched them as they learned of a guilty verdict and also, more often, an acquital.

There's alot to say about this case, especially lessons that can be learned by MAs teaching
safety classes for kids and about the predators within MA instructor ranks - as with all
activities/sports involving kids. Most painfully for MA because this activity presents itself
as a way to defend against these very perpetrators.

All that can come later. I expect our hot line/crisis line will take many calls tonight as we have
in the past when a case like this concludes. Survivors, of all ages, and family members sometimes need
someone to talk to, in privacy and confidence.

Maybe this conviction will help them take the next step.

with respect,

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May all of us be so lucky to find someone like you Adrasteia to turn to in a dark hour of need. Thank you for all that you do. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May many more guilty pedophiles get such treatment ... and may their victims be vindicated.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This happened because no one could believe it. He was a saint and above reproach. A lesson for those who care about children to trust your instincts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This happened because no one could believe it. He was a saint and above reproach. A lesson for those who care about children to trust your instincts.

He also victimized kids that were already at risk. Kids that didn't have a life or identity of their own...kids just wanting someone to believe in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
A vice president and one other from Penn state looks like they will be prosecuted for obstruction and perjury in connection to this case as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's too easy and too tempting to say that Sandusky got away with it because he was perceived as being above reproach. He absolutely was trusted, and given trusted and privileged access. He used that access in a calculating manner to gain access to and to groom vulnerable boys and young men to become his victims. Several people also failed those youngsters, especially when the abuse was detected. It is incredible, though sadly not unthinkable, that this was not reported and investigated thoroughly in 1998, in 2000, and in 2002. Those are the failures which failed to protect so many boys.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, you guys are saying that the reverence for Paterno and Sandusky had nothing to do with his doing this so openly for forty years and not being called on it?

Of course he picked kids that were at risk, and of course several adults failed these kids along the way. You guys seemed to respond to me as though what you said and what I said are mutually exclusive. I wasn't commenting on pedophilia in general. I was commenting on what I see as the primary reason this was able to occur so openly for so many decades.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, you guys are saying that the reverence for Paterno and Sandusky had nothing to do with his doing this so openly for forty years and not being called on it?

Of course he picked kids that were at risk, and of course several adults failed these kids along the way. You guys seemed to respond to me as though what you said and what I said are mutually exclusive. I wasn't commenting on pedophilia in general. I was commenting on what I see as the primary reason this was able to occur so openly for so many decades.

Not mutually exclusive, I agree with you very strongly. I was just adding additional reasons. I think my 2am posting made more sense in my head than it did online ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

No, I said that it was only one factor and that the real failures were conscious inactions at various points. None of those seem to have been the result of some denial due to Sandusky's status. Instead they seem to be the result of fear of repercussions or even direct negligence.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Sandusky will have a very short prison stint. How much protection does anything think he'll get in lockup?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Sandusky will have a very short prison stint. How much protection does anything think he'll get in lockup?

Solitary Confinement vs Open Population:
He may spend the rest of his days alone to ponder the destruction he caused.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even the dregs of prison think little of pedophiles. Remember Jeffrey Dagmar?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Dahmer

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tattoo "short eyes" on his forehead and toss him in general population.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder if we'll ever find out the truth about this?

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-s...ung-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Latest Discussions