Sai breaking sword

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what I said back in post #36 "I don't see the sai being taught in that many martial arts schools" I never said that I thought it wasn't taught, just that I haven't seen it taught that much. I was pointing out what I've seen, not stuff that I haven't seen.

As for saying the sai not being all that practical, that is my opinion and I never stated it as otherwise. And from what I've seen in most places that teach martial arts weapons, they tend to teach what they think is practical.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for saying the sai not being all that practical, that is my opinion and I never stated it as otherwise.

And what expertise do you have that qualifies you to determine that this weapon is impractical?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? You think you've spent enough time in each of these dojos to know their entire curriculum?
In some of those dojos I've taken classes so I've been there long enough to know what weapons they teach if any. If Im not clear than I ask. And this includes dojos that I might just be visiting and observing, I ask what they teach and if and what weapons they teach. From my experience, if somebody wants to learn how to use sais they can find a place that teaches it but it will take some research.
Really?
Do you wonder why you hold the MartialTalk Record for facepalms in both the single and doubles categories?

Don't take this personally but that's often how I feel about your posts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what expertise do you have that qualifies you to determine that this weapon is impractical?

I consider a weapon practical if its something that you're going to have with you in the first place. That being said, a weapon that you're either likely to be carrying with you or a weapon that is easy to find I consider more practical that weapons that don't fall into either of those categories. Therefore I consider sticks to be practical, they're easy to find, anything from broken chair legs to pool sticks to baseball bats, to tree branches, the list goes on. In some cases you might be carrying a stick like object such as an umbrella. Sais on the other hand I don't consider that practical because most people I know don't carry sais on a regular basis and its not something that you're likely to find otherwise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The same qualifications, I imagine, that makes him think Funakoshi ruined Shotokan karate by turning it into a sport and that before him Shotokan was a fine thing...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The same qualifications, I imagine, that makes him think Funakoshi ruined Shotokan karate by turning it into a sport and that before him Shotokan was a fine thing...

That's sort of what I thought would be the case...

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I never said he ruined it, I said it was changed. Ruined is a matter of opinion. Again you made an assumption but that is from another thread.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I have seen with many (not all) weapons from both China and Japan is the usefulness as a weapon being replace by an emphasis on performance for purposes of competition, and the Sai has not been immune to this

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said he ruined it, I said it was changed. Ruined is a matter of opinion. Again you made an assumption but that is from another thread.

You missed the point..again....there was NO Shotokan before him, he founded it, he didn't change Shotokan, it didn't exist before him. You were given the full truth and I'm not going to repeat it. It is not your opinion that Funakoshi changed Shotokan, it's a nonsense.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You missed the point..again....there was NO Shotokan before him, he founded it, he didn't change Shotokan, it didn't exist before him. You were given the full truth and I'm not going to repeat it. It is not your opinion that Funakoshi changed Shotokan, it's a nonsense.

I said that Shotokan has been changed since it was first created, not that Fonakoshi changed it, but that belongs on a different thread.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious how in depth "most dojos" get with the sai curriculum. All I've seen is sai kata and the occasional two man set. I couldn't imagine the training being nearly as sophisticated and developed as what we see with FMA and Eskrima. That being said I wouldn't label the sai completely. I'd imagin the training teaches basic thrusts and strikes that could be performed with any straight object. When it gets into the more complex grips on the tines? And we see flipping twirling motions I see less potential for practality. But some fMA has twirling too, and there are hidden applications for the motion.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious how in depth "most dojos" get with the sai curriculum. All I've seen is sai kata and the occasional two man set. I couldn't imagine the training being nearly as sophisticated and developed as what we see with FMA and Eskrima. That being said I wouldn't label the sai completely. I'd imagin the training teaches basic thrusts and strikes that could be performed with any straight object. When it gets into the more complex grips on the tines? And we see flipping twirling motions I see less potential for practality. But some fMA has twirling too, and there are hidden applications for the motion.
I once trained at this dojo that taught all sorts of weapons although the weapons they taught were of japanese and okinawan origin, they did not teach weapons from other cultures. And yes they did teach the sai, of all the twenty plus martial arts schools that I've visited or trained at they were the only place that taught the sai. Anyway, most of the weapons including the sai, they did not get too in depth with the training. It was not like the sword, which they also taught of course, and which has entire art forms developed entirely to its use. The sai and lots of the other weapons they taught they more or less just taught as add ons to otherwise unarmed martial arts. Some of the martial arts styles taught at that place were Shorin Ryu, Aikido, and AikiJutsu and many of the weapons were taught as add ons.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once trained at this dojo that taught all sorts of weapons although the weapons they taught were of japanese and okinawan origin, they did not teach weapons from other cultures. And yes they did teach the sai, of all the twenty plus martial arts schools that I've visited or trained at they were the only place that taught the sai. Anyway, most of the weapons including the sai, they did not get too in depth with the training. It was not like the sword, which they also taught of course, and which has entire art forms developed entirely to its use. The sai and lots of the other weapons they taught they more or less just taught as add ons to otherwise unarmed martial arts. Some of the martial arts styles taught at that place were Shorin Ryu, Aikido, and AikiJutsu and many of the weapons were taught as add ons.

Kindergarten right?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear..

184676_166527676729880_119617241420924_308892_5936571_n.jpg

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I said that Shotokan has been changed since it was first created, not that Fonakoshi changed it, but that belongs on a different thread.

Have you ever stopped to notice that no matter what subject you post about, the entire thread becomes filled with various posts of you making excuses for yourself? I'll tell you the same things that I told my kids when they were young, and I also told all my Scouts ... If you ever catch yourself making excuses (four out of every five posts of yours at least) you should stop and figure out just what you did wrong so you can fix it and not do the same thing again. You'll NEVER find an excuse being made without something having been screwed up first. Think about that the next time you find yourself making excuses.

Just a thought ...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever stopped to notice that no matter what subject you post about, the entire thread becomes filled with various posts of you making excuses for yourself? I'll tell you the same things that I told my kids when they were young, and I also told all my Scouts ... If you ever catch yourself making excuses (four out of every five posts of yours at least) you should stop and figure out just what you did wrong so you can fix it and not do the same thing again. You'll NEVER find an excuse being made without something having been screwed up first. Think about that the next time you find yourself making excuses.

Just a thought ...

Quoted for truth.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was tempted to reply to the Karate Jutsu thread but better not to encourage PG to post any more disinformation and butcher history in specific art forums. o_O Please just stop trying to impress us with knowledge you don`t have, there is no need.

Latest Discussions