Sai breaking sword

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, guess a Sai could be used on a bikini line lol. Damn with my perverted mind, how did I not spot that :D

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a forum of martial artists I think it's reasonable to assume everyone knows what a Sai is. Not to mention anyone who doesn't know can just ask. I wouldnt say its better to post stuff that isn't taken seriously over things they offend people. Name calling and insults are unproductive but the sharing of unpopular opinions is all part of discussion. You shouldnt be afraid to offend people if you can explain your stance on a matter.
My stance on the matter is it shouldn't be a problem to mention an example of when a sai, or anything else for that matter, is used in popular media.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You might have fared better if you used Electra instead of Raphael :)

My first exposure to the Sai was pre any of that in the early 70s in my Jujutsu class..... but they were not part of the class, that is just when I became aware of them, I think from Karate Illustrated. But as far as Sword breaking....never heard of it being done with a Sai.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My first exposure to the Sai was pre any of that in the early 70s in my Jujutsu class..... but they were not part of the class, that is just when I became aware of them, I think from Karate Illustrated. But as far as Sword breaking....never heard of it being done with a Sai.

Jennifer Garner, just soaked the keyboard drooling.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I never saw Electra but even so, sais are perhaps better known from Ninja Turtles than from Electra.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never saw Electra but even so, sais are perhaps better known from Ninja Turtles than from Electra.

On this site however I would say they are known for what they are and not for which fictional character carries them. I've known about them as well as practised with them long before 'Ninja Turtles' was even thought of.
I don't assume that because I don't know something then no one else can know it nor do I assume that because I do know something no one else does. It's a martial arts site, of course people know what the Sai is.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a problem to give an example of how a particular weapon is used in popular media, even if people know what it is. Ninja Turtles is pretend but so is Electra.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a problem to give an example of how a particular weapon is used in popular media, even if people know what it is. Ninja Turtles is pretend but so is Electra.

Well you may think it shouldn't be but 2 pages and 30 post later apparently it is so I am guessing that if you want your question answered it might be best just to cut your losses, refocus onto the main question, drop the Ninja turtles, and move on...I'm just sayin'

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the OP's title actually is somewhat ambiguous because it actually reads as if he wants a sword that will break a Sai, rather than a Sai that breaks a sword ie "I want a Sai breaking sword".

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you may think it shouldn't be but 2 pages and 30 post later apparently it is so I am guessing that if you want your question answered it might be best just to cut your losses, refocus onto the main question, drop the Ninja turtles, and move on...I'm just sayin'

Well might I ask why you think Electra might be a better choice? She's pretend too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think he does to be honest because now we are on to Electra. :facepalm:

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't.... It was a joke...which is why I put a smiley face after it.

I see. Well anyway, moving on from that, I don't see the sai being taught in that many martial arts schools and while I do think it would be a fun and interesting weapon to learn I don't see it as all that practical. Most dojos from what I've seen like to teach stick fighting since sticks are easy to find and knife fighting. Now as for sai vs sword, that would be interesting although which would win, I would think that would depend on whose using them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. Well anyway, moving on from that, I don't see the sai being taught in that many martial arts schools and while I do think it would be a fun and interesting weapon to learn I don't see it as all that practical. Most dojos from what I've seen like to teach stick fighting since sticks are easy to find and knife fighting. Now as for sai vs sword, that would be interesting although which would win, I would think that would depend on whose using them.

What proof do you have that 'most' dojos don't train Sai and 'most' dojos train 'sticks'.? it only seems impractical if you haven't learnt how to use them, it's actually one of my favourite weapons and I know a lot of people who train with them.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What proof do you have that 'most' dojos don't train Sai and 'most' dojos train 'sticks'.? it only seems impractical if you haven't learnt how to use them, it's actually one of my favourite weapons and I know a lot of people who train with them.

Most of the dojos I've been to don't. I never said that most dojos don't teach them, just not the ones I've seen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the dojos I've been to don't. I never said that most dojos don't teach them, just not the ones I've seen.

I don't see the sai being taught in that many martial arts schools

You said you don't see it being taught in 'schools' which means you think it isn't taught, if you haven't seen it being taught that's a different matter. You can't offer up your opinion as being the truth.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really? You think you've spent enough time in each of these dojos to know their entire curriculum?

Really?
Do you wonder why you hold the MartialTalk Record for facepalms in both the single and doubles categories?