Running From Attackers

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

I saw a YouTube on evading your pursuers.

Watch the middle part of the clip on tips on running/evading your pursuers.

As always take the following with a grain of salt:

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
If you can-do it. If you got to mix it up, do so. It's a judgement call on your part. Running isn't any good if you're not faster. All you have done is give your back to your attackers. In that case, running away would be detrimental, and you'd be better off confronting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It might depend on where you where when attacked and if you can run to a safe place : a store, a hose of a freind, a house with people in the yard, a mall cop etc

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly a good idea to get away if possible, but is that the best option? As Hand Sword said, what if you're not a fast runner? Then what? Get away if possible, but be prepared to engage if need be.

Mike

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Running is great. Especially when you ditch your lover in the process and let the hungry wolves have her for dinner. Why, that's the very definition of heroism. ;)

To the rest of ye: Let's roll up our sleaves and engage (Not with your girlfriend).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nike-do is always my second line of defense. My first line is being aware enough of my environment to get out of the situation before it develops.

Buddy of mine who's a distance runner tells a story (and given this buddy, it's about 60%-75% likely to be true) of running from several attackers. Since the attackers didn't run as fast as one another, after a couple blocks the lead dog was all on his lonesome, so my buddy turned around and whipped his winded ***, then kept on running.

Regardless of the truth of that story, as martial artists we're likely to have better cardio than an attacker. It's a viable option to run just far enough to get your pursuer winded. When he's gasping like a freshly landed fish, you can renegotiate the situation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nike-do is always my second line of defense. My first line is being aware enough of my environment to get out of the situation before it develops.

There you go. If those two steps fail, and if time permits, start looking for an improvised weapon if you're not carrying an actual one.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
If you can-do it.

I think even if you weren't a faster runner, some attackers may not want to bother chasing after you - too much effort, or don't want to be seen.

Rapists, especially, tend to want a girl who will submit, not one who's going to fight and scream.

I'm not a very fast runner but I'd give it a go for a block or two.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the YouTube clip the runner (Chris Crudelli ) manages to evade from 3 fast runners. His suggestions were interesting. I'm thinking of trying this on some friends to see if it works (hopefully they haven't seen this clip yet).

Here's the link to the YouTube again:

The running scene is around 2:07.

=)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think even if you weren't a faster runner, some attackers may not want to bother chasing after you - too much effort, or don't want to be seen.

Rapists, especially, tend to want a girl who will submit, not one who's going to fight and scream.

I'm not a very fast runner but I'd give it a go for a block or two.

True to a point. However, remember this, even if the chase is given up, there will still be an attempt made to catch you, half hearted or otherwise. None, once an attack has begun will stand bye and just let you escape. So, the philosophy still holds.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, this question of running is something that has bothered me through the years. I always wondered if it was an incorrect mindset to try and think both ways. I mean, is it really possible to think both ways? Can you really consciosly keep a 50/50 mindset of fighting if I must or running if I can? Is it detrimental to try and think this way?

For me, I always thought along the lines that it was detrimental. Consider that an attacker is fully committed emotionally, and mentally, as well as physically. It's 100 percent go for them. Can that be met with a 50/50 mind? I say no. Would it be better, for self defense sake to committ one one or another? I say Yes. If you're a runnner, then run everytime. Otherwise fight full out. Meet it the same way the attacker has. Realistically that is the only way to be succesful for a real life brutal attack IMHO. Granted, my upbringing and enviroment played a part of the "not going out like a punk" attitude, but, I always felt it was relevant. Thinking back to the old schoolers too, they were never those kind of personalities, though they preached it in their teachings. They were nasty fighters. The old school students were too. I remember a line in an old book I had as kid that spoke of things lacking in the arts at that time. It was a de-emphasis on guts, or courage fighting. I think it has merit.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I feel that if running is an option then it's best to escape, call the police, and let many men with guns handle the situation. If that's not an option--and I'm a slow runner so if someone half my age gave chase they'd likely catch me--then I agree that once it's on, you have to go from 0 to 60 in one punch.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Running is great. Especially when you ditch your lover in the process and let the hungry wolves have her for dinner. Why, that's the very definition of heroism. ;)

To the rest of ye: Let's roll up our sleaves and engage (Not with your girlfriend).

Great point. What exactly do you do when you're with your GF, gentlemen?

Hmm...where in my OP did I say I'd leave my wife behind?

Certainly a good idea to get away if possible, but is that the best option? As Hand Sword said, what if you're not a fast runner? Then what? Get away if possible, but be prepared to engage if need be.

So, as I said, get away if possible, but be prepared to engage if need be. :)

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other hand, adrenaline does help add to speed when running. It also can add to strength to fight if needed.

I liked what bushidomartialarts said regarding the first line of defense:

Originally Posted by bushidomartialarts

- Ceicei

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
&#20013;&#22269;&#26690;&#26519; (Guilin, China)
You know, this question of running is something that has bothered me through the years. I always wondered if it was an incorrect mindset to try and think both ways. I mean, is it really possible to think both ways? Can you really consciosly keep a 50/50 mindset of fighting if I must or running if I can? Is it detrimental to try and think this way?

For me, I always thought along the lines that it was detrimental. Consider that an attacker is fully committed emotionally, and mentally, as well as physically. It's 100 percent go for them. Can that be met with a 50/50 mind? I say no. Would it be better, for self defense sake to committ one one or another? I say Yes. If you're a runnner, then run everytime. Otherwise fight full out. Meet it the same way the attacker has. Realistically that is the only way to be succesful for a real life brutal attack IMHO. Granted, my upbringing and enviroment played a part of the "not going out like a punk" attitude, but, I always felt it was relevant. Thinking back to the old schoolers too, they were never those kind of personalities, though they preached it in their teachings. They were nasty fighters. The old school students were too. I remember a line in an old book I had as kid that spoke of things lacking in the arts at that time. It was a de-emphasis on guts, or courage fighting. I think it has merit.

I agree with this. Choose your camp and prepare for it.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm always a runner. If not I'm an animal backed into the corner. Ill fight but be looking for the quickest way out.

As for having your GF with you, I thought it was a good question for this subject (a seemingly obvious answer, but what are the details of the situation?).