Keys to self defense

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Four Keys to Self Defense:

• Know your life is worth defending
  • Develop the skills and confidence necessary to project yourself as capable and assertive
  • Learn how to assess and handle dangerous situations
  • Understand natural physical defenses and then train and practice to use them effectively
Do you agree with the above, disagree, or do you believe there is more to it? How do you teach it to your students?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Four Keys to Self Defense:
  • Know your life is worth defending
  • - Your life, and the lives of those who are important to you. Also, what about casual acquaintances? Strangers? Etc.? How do you decide who to defend?
  • Develop the skills and confidence necessary to project yourself as capable and assertive
    - Definitely
  • Learn how to assess and handle dangerous situations
    - Also definitely
  • Understand natural physical defenses and then train and practice to use them effectively
    - Again, definitely
Do you agree with the above, disagree, or do you believe there is more to it? How do you teach it to your students?

I believe that one of the biggest problems in self-defense is knowing what is, and is not, worth defending. Many people have died for material possessions - money, jewelry, and so on - and granted, sometimes it is not the cash value of the item but the sentimental value of the item - but still, I would not fight someone who only wants my possessions, and I tell my students this. Defend yourself, defend your loved ones, defend other people in need (and defense can - and should - include leaving for safety and calling for help) - but things can be replaced, if they can't be recovered.

I teach it through the use of role playing and discussion of scenarios - the old "what if" game.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- Your life, and the lives of those who are important to you. Also, what about casual acquaintances? Strangers? Etc.? How do you decide who to defend?
[*] - Definitely
[*] - Also definitely
[*] - Again, definitely
[/list]
I believe that one of the biggest problems in self-defense is knowing what is, and is not, worth defending. Many people have died for material possessions - money, jewelry, and so on - and granted, sometimes it is not the cash value of the item but the sentimental value of the item - but still, I would not fight someone who only wants my possessions, and I tell my students this. Defend yourself, defend your loved ones, defend other people in need (and defense can - and should - include leaving for safety and calling for help) - but things can be replaced, if they can't be recovered.

I teach it through the use of role playing and discussion of scenarios - the old "what if" game.

I like Kacey's adds,
As I defend all children I see in trouble and women who are being pushed assaulted attacked. Ia ls would break up fights with guys. But this is me, and I would not REPEAT WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOR ANYONE. Defend what is imporatant to you, and call for help as soon as possible. Call for help with others and only get involved if you have too.

As to object, I tell my students that I give them my car/convertible keys. I would even give them the money in my pocket as well. I have no problem doing this.

GM Remy Presas, told me a story and the short of it was that he gave some bad guys in the bathroom of the bar a few dollars so they would leave. They did not search him, and he did not fight.

There is no reason to fight for an object. Let it go. At least you will be alive to be sad for its' loss. As opposed to other being sad at the loss of you.

Latest Discussions