Roadhouse 2024

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why do people think the original is a "classic?" Because it is old? It wasn't a great movie then and I see no reason why they are remaking a decidedly mediocre 80s action flick.
It's a classic because it's a movie that a lot of people have seen and enjoyed, and it holds up pretty well. It's a simple plot that invokes all the classic archetypes. It has great, over the top characters, good music, and some highly quotable, memorable one-liners.

It's also left a mark on pop culture over a period of 40 years. Even people who haven't seen it are aware of it, know what it's basically about, and can probably recognize some of the lines and references.

Not for everyone, but I consider it a classic.

Now, a real cult classic is the lesser known Patrick Swayze movie, Steel Dawn. A true masterpiece of action schlock movies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It was mediocre in the genre of action movies, was it a great plot? No. Was it great drama? No. Was it great action? No. Did it have great fight choreography? No. It had one quotable quote and that is about it. Compared to its betters in the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard series or even Big Trouble in Little China. Those are classics.
Die Hard (the first one) holds up really well, and is definitely a classic. Lethal Weapon movies just don't hold up. We tried watching those a few years back, and they were unwatchable.

Big Trouble In Little China is on par with Roadhouse. Opinions may vary, but it checks all the same boxes as Roadhouse. The sum being better than the individual parts.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why do people think the original is a "classic?" Because it is old? It wasn't a great movie then and I see no reason why they are remaking a decidedly mediocre 80s action flick.
It's kinda a cult classic. It's not the greatest movie in the world, but people love it still.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it again. The thread title "Roundhouse 2024" and it caught my attention.

But then read again, "Road house"?? I should probably watch more movies...
The number of times I've misread thread titles and couldn't understand the OP because I was expecting a different topic.... 🤣

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not expecting much. It has some big shoes to fill. The original is a classic. I just don't see it being as good as the original. I hope I'm wrong because if it's very good I'll check it out. I like the plot of the original and love the fight scenes.
If it doesn't contain the line, "Bear fell on me!", I'm not interested.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first was really enjoyable. Not a great movie, but a classic to me, because it took a different approach than most action movies, especially MA movies.

As for remaking a mediocre movie, I can think of two good reasons. Firsly, many of us will watch it to see if it is as much fun to watch as the original. Secondly, medicre movies are easier to remake - you're less likely to get a bunch of reviews that its "not as good as the original".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Die Hard (the first one) holds up really well, and is definitely a classic. Lethal Weapon movies just don't hold up. We tried watching those a few years back, and they were unwatchable.

Big Trouble In Little China is on par with Roadhouse. Opinions may vary, but it checks all the same boxes as Roadhouse. The sum being better than the individual parts.
I can still enjoy the original Lethal Weapon. The others were always weaker, and didn't hold up well for me, at all.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well to me it has to be better than the newer Red Dawn as opposed to the original. Seems Swayze has a thing happening.

Never thought about it how many socially impactful movies that guy was in. That we all watch 30 years later. I must have watched Red Dawn 100 times, and suffered through Dirty Dancing and Ghost with my wife as many times...... not willingly. To get that straight.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The first was really enjoyable. Not a great movie, but a classic to me, because it took a different approach than most action movies, especially MA movies.

As for remaking a mediocre movie, I can think of two good reasons. Firsly, many of us will watch it to see if it is as much fun to watch as the original. Secondly, medicre movies are easier to remake - you're less likely to get a bunch of reviews that its "not as good as the original".
While I in no way expect Roadhouse 2024 to be a great movie, remakes are sometimes much better than the original. The best example I can think of is Ocean's 11. The original Rat Pack movie was mediocre. The remake with Clooney and Pitt is a true classic.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I in no way expect Roadhouse 2024 to be a great movie, remakes are sometimes much better than the original. The best example I can think of is Ocean's 11. The original Rat Pack movie was mediocre. The remake with Clooney and Pitt is a true classic.
That is very true. I tried to re-watch the original a couple months ago. I really tried. I just couldn't.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd go with "cult classic" - I reserve that for things like Rocky Horror Picture Show and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
Good examples. I love movies, and I love good bad movies the most. Some of my favorites:

Repo Man
A Boy and His Dog
Eraser Head
Harold and Maude
Pecker
Death Race 2000
Big Lebowski
Pink Flamingos
Toxic Avenger
Flash Gordon (the one with the Queen soundtrack)

I'm forgetting so many, but these are movies I've watched relatively recently and still enjoy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good examples. I love movies, and I love good bad movies the most. Some of my favorites:

Repo Man
A Boy and His Dog
Eraser Head
Harold and Maude
Pecker
Death Race 2000
Big Lebowski
Pink Flamingos
Toxic Avenger

I'm forgetting so many, but these are movies I've watched relatively recently and still enjoy.
Man, you just brought back some memories.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Repo Man
A Boy and His Dog
Eraser Head
Harold and Maude
Pecker
Death Race 2000
Big Lebowski
Pink Flamingos
Toxic Avenger

I like movies that people say suck. Like movies that aren't talked about much because they seem mediocre. It's weird but I've noticed that friends and family think my movie selection sucks or is boring. But to me I like them. Like for instance: the foot fist way. I laughed so hard the first time I saw it and showed it to others and they didn't like it. Or st. Vincent with Bill Murray. I also liked machete Danny Trejo, but my friends don't like it. Idk.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
If interested, you can read the Total Film Road House interview article with Jake and Conor here:
This section made me chuckle:

"We definitely got ready for those scenes where I’m fighting and shirtless. You don’t drink as much water, then you drink a lot of water the few days before, and then you cut out a little bit of sodium. It was a process done with experts. Also, it was just very funny. Doug made a lot of fun of me every time I had to take off a shirt or something like that" - Jake Gyllenhaal

Latest Discussions