Roadhouse 2024

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Roadhouse has been remade. That original with Patrick Swayze was a classic. Over the top characters with great lines and fight scenes many still remember. And now we have a new version staring Jake Gyllenhaael and featuring Conor McGregor as the bad guy - check out the trailer below:

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I did it again. The thread title "Roundhouse 2024" and it caught my attention.

But then read again, "Road house"?? I should probably watch more movies...

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looks decent. McGregor can’t act to save his life though. Didn’t care much for the original movie watched it once it was fine never wanted to watch it again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I grew up during the time when movies were more limited so every summer was like a mega rerun of movies. The Road House was one of those movies that I enjoyed the first time around but after round 200. I can't stand it. Patrick Swayze Ghost is another. HBO went overboard with those movies back in the day.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. It will be a tall order to be as good as the original, but the casting is very interesting.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not expecting much. It has some big shoes to fill. The original is a classic. I just don't see it being as good as the original. I hope I'm wrong because if it's very good I'll check it out. I like the plot of the original and love the fight scenes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's got me intrigued but I don't expect much from it. The original is a classic. To me, I think the director told Conor, "You know how you act at press conferences? Just do that.".
One road house is enough for me. The younger generations will probably like it.
He does a ballet kick in this fight scene

You can see the same kick here.

MacHudde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One road house is enough for me. The younger generations will probably like it.
He does a ballet kick in this fight scene

You can see the same kick here.
I never noticed that before when I watched it. You are right the younger generation will probably like it, especially since Conor is in it. In the original, my favourite character was Sam Eilliot's character, Wade Garrett.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Why do people think the original is a "classic?" Because it is old? It wasn't a great movie then and I see no reason why they are remaking a decidedly mediocre 80s action flick.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people think the original is a "classic?" Because it is old? It wasn't a great movie then and I see no reason why they are remaking a decidedly mediocre 80s action flick.
It's a genre that can, by it's very nature, only produce films that are mediocre by most standards. But that doesn't mean they're not entertaining. And it certainly qualifies as a classic of the genre.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a genre that can, by it's very nature, only produce films that are mediocre by most standards. But that doesn't mean they're not entertaining. And it certainly qualifies as a classic of the genre.

It was mediocre in the genre of action movies, was it a great plot? No. Was it great drama? No. Was it great action? No. Did it have great fight choreography? No. It had one quotable quote and that is about it. Compared to its betters in the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard series or even Big Trouble in Little China. Those are classics.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because it can't get any worse. Not road house, but I'm guessing the fight scenes will be much better lol.

Derail in 5, 4, 3, 2,1....

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This article gives a good reason as to why it is considered a classic of its genre :)
And the only excuse for a remake is to make a quick buck off the original 🤑

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kind of like why did they make the movie The Warriors into a video game. It's not particularly good, cheesy as sin and yet I watch it a few times a year. Memory of a generation, cult status. It's on TV like 11 times a week

Latest Discussions