Rightful Heir

OP
W

WhiteTiger

I would like to ask a few related questions.

What are the responsibilities of a GrandMaster?
What would a GrandMaster provide to EPAK that is missing today?
If one man was recognized as such would it unite kenpo or just serve to fragment it further?

For my own opinion, The biggest problem in the Martial Arts is that anybody that has studied for ten minutes can go out, open a school, buy som impressive looking trophies, and claim to be the GrandMaster in a new system which he has "INVENTED" base on "Years" of experience in ten different arts. If he has some business skills and knows how to market himself, a whole mob of drooling idiots will flock to his studio to learn from the "Master". The poor fools which are his students don't even know enough to ask for his credentials before signing a five year contract.

So the presents of a GM for the system seems to have lost some of it's appeal.

:soapbox:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
I would like to ask a few related questions.

What are the responsibilities of a GrandMaster?
What would a GrandMaster provide to EPAK that is missing today?
If one man was recognized as such would it unite kenpo or just serve to fragment it further?

For my own opinion, The biggest problem in the Martial Arts is that anybody that has studied for ten minutes can go out, open a school, buy som impressive looking trophies, and claim to be the GrandMaster in a new system which he has "INVENTED" base on "Years" of experience in ten different arts. If he has some business skills and knows how to market himself, a whole mob of drooling idiots will flock to his studio to learn from the "Master". The poor fools which are his students don't even know enough to ask for his credentials before signing a five year contract.

So the presents of a GM for the system seems to have lost some of it's appeal.

:soapbox:
Jesus said: "By their fruits shall ye know them."
Now he wasn't talking about the head of martial arts systems, but I think that the principle still holds true.

What did Mr. Mills put forth that a Grand Master should be?

EPAK would have to collectively agree on the credentials, and then collectively agree on the person to fill meet those credentials.
In other words...
I don't think it COULD happen.

There's about 2-4 men TOPS that might come close (in my mind) to meeting those credentials for EPAK, but those men aren't doing it and apparently are fine with that.
That should make us think in and of its self I believe.

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $superman.gif
    $superman.gif
    1 KB · Views: 190

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand why the names of Mr. Planas, Mr. Tatum, Mr. Pick, Mr. Mills, all well respected kenpoists, are metioned but not Mr. Lee Wedlake. His knowledge and skill are incredible.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why the names of Mr. Planas, Mr. Tatum, Mr. Pick, Mr. Mills, all well respected kenpoists, are metioned but not Mr. Lee Wedlake. His knowledge and skill are incredible.

Sir, I did not mean to leave anyone out who may be deserving or should at least be recognized as a potential leader.

As I understand it Mr. Wedlake is/will not accept any other rank than what Mr. Parker gave him. I admire this very much. I think it is a sign of true character. At the same time what I also may observe is that Mr. Wedlake has intentionally removed himself from this debate even before any other came close to 10th. Possible great foresight on his part.

Really I have no business recommending any one to be the EPAK figure head. I have not met any of the men mentioned in this thread. I dont think there ever will be. Would like too, but not going to break my neck doing it (yet). If i were to ever make 5th degree black in my lifetime I would be truly amazed. I have to much to work on for my next colored belt test.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by JD_Nelson
Sir, I did not mean to leave anyone out who may be deserving or should at least be recognized as a potential leader.

As I understand it Mr. Wedlake is/will not accept any other rank than what Mr. Parker gave him. I admire this very much. I think it is a sign of true character. At the same time what I also may observe is that Mr. Wedlake has intentionally removed himself from this debate even before any other came close to 10th. Possible great foresight on his part.

Really I have no business recommending any one to be the EPAK figure head. I have not met any of the men mentioned in this thread. I dont think there ever will be. Would like too, but not going to break my neck doing it (yet). If i were to ever make 5th degree black in my lifetime I would be truly amazed. I have to much to work on for my next colored belt test.

Hey JD, look at his website, this is the bio I found.

Lee Wedlake Jr.

Mr.Wedlake started studying Judo in 1967 at the Shindo Kan school in Chicago, IL. where he achieved the rank of Brown belt. In November 1972 he initiated study of Chinese Kenpo at a school in Evergreen Park, IL. He left that school as a Brown belt. Mr. Wedlake was later promoted to first degree Black belt on June 2, 1975 by Michael John Sanders, 5th Dan, Kenpo of Sterling, IL., who also promoted him to 2nd Degree Black. After Sanders' death in July 1979, Mr. Wedlake began studying with Edmund K. Parker, "The Father of American Karate," at Pasadena, CA. in November 1979. He was trained by both Parker and Frank Trejo for two years and promoted to third degree in 1981. In 1982 he was introduced to Richard "HUK" Planas at the International Karate Championships and studied concurrently with Planas and Parker. Parker, Trejo, Planas and Joe Palanzo promoted him in September 1986 to Fifth degree. His sixth degree was awarded by Ed Parker on November 19, 1990, approximately one month before Parker's passing. Frank Trejo and HUK Planas promoted him to 7th degree on June 27, 1993. Then in October 1998 during the annual Kenpo Camp in Ft. Myers, HUK promoted Mr. Wedlake to 8th degree.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
S

Shiatsu

I think it should be Ron Bennett:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I had read Mr. Wedlakes Bio about 2 years ago. I could not remember all the specifics.

I just think that hope for every faction of kenpo to follow one grande poobah is for the birds. Plus I really dont care who wants or thinks he/she is/should be the leader. I will learn from those who have knowledge i dont.

Salute

JD

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by kevin kilroe

Case and point, everybody will want a GM to come from their lineage, that is why it will never happen.

OP
M

MisterMike

I'd have to lean towards the question of "Why do we need one?"

To head up some bureaucratic society that everyone will pay dues to, just to have limits placed on their methods of teaching, training and promoting?

I the different branches of the Kenpo Tree like/hate each other now, what would that all change?

OP
R

rmcrobertson

And I don't understand why everything has to be a matter of Finding the Right Dad...well, actually I do understand why...

But look at how silly some of these arguments get. Mr. Wedlake should be set up as a senior to the two men who trained and promoted him, Mr. Trejo and Mr. Planas?

Sorry--but in traditional styles, they'd just laugh, I suspect.

Why not just blunder along as we're doing?

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This topic seems to be drug up more and more and I guess it is just human nature to have everything under 1 man. However, I think that if it is 1 thing that we could actually all agree upon is that EPAK will never be united again as it once was. We all have our lineage (I am under Mr Wedlake) and we tend to favor what ever GREAT KENPOIST that we study under simply because it allow us to feel closer to GREATNESS/Mr PArker. Most of us have never meet the man and would have loved to. The man change martial arts in the entire country and WOW what can you say about that.

I think that the best idea to deal with this was the "SENIOR COUNCLE". It is to bad tha ego's and politics got in the way but somehow as much as things seem to change they always end up being the same. There are about 5-10 seniors out there who are absolutely amazing so find who you mesh with and TRAIN. LEARN, LOVE + TEACH.:asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

I understand there is not one specific leader out there. I have had the Opportunity to know Mr Mike Pick and he is a great man in heart and body. An if the others are anything like him then there are some awe inspring people out there.

OP
M

marshallbd

[

There's about 2-4 men TOPS that might come close (in my mind) to meeting those credentials for EPAK, but those men aren't doing it and apparently are fine with that.
That should make us think in and of its self I believe.

Your Brother
John [/B]

So who are those 2-4 you think are qualified......?

Latest Discussions