Rightful Heir

OP
K

Kroy

I studied Tracys for a number of years as well. I enjoyed it, never at a loss for new material thats for sure.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Your statements seems to imply that there was ONE Kenpo system to hand over. Well before Mr. Parkers death this just wasn't the case.

This is an interesting point of view. We say somewhat similar things about Modern Arnis--those who trained at different times learned what amounts to different arts.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
quote: Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Kory,
Your statements seems to imply that there was ONE Kenpo system to hand over. Well before Mr. Parkers death this just wasn't the case. I will assume you mean EPAK. The question I would ask is, was anything within the system truly his to hand over? I mean, did he "leagally" own it? Was it copywrited, it seems not judging by what has happened to it since.

What an observant point. This is a similar statement to what Mr. Ron Chapel has posted many times as far as what Mr. Parker himself studied or taught. This statement does not imply one is more sophisticated or less than the other. I have thought this many times, but not in such a concise statement.

Now i know this is hearsay, but as I understand it, Mr. Parker had a way of making everyone think that the kenpo was their own. not his not his way, but tailored. Maybe we should opend up our own minds to the tailoring concept and expand on the idea tailoring to realize that some of the Seniors are teaching what they were taught and the things they had a strength in. Could be proper body mechanics, knife work, innovation for new teaching methodologies. I think there is no one source that will or can have it all. I believe Mr. Parker knew this and understood it. If Mr. Mills, Mr. Planas. Mr. Chapel, Mr. Pick, etc etc........... all have their own gifts and a piece of kenpo that each is better at than the other. Why wouldn't Mr. Parker make them do his research for him??? It seems only smart to let those that know a particular topic study it even further and report back the results. Sounds like good managment to me. The CEO gets all the KUDOS when a company does well. If you look at this like a business it looks like it may have been well run.

As I reread the article about Mr. Planas being the rightful heir it makes sense to us that he should have been the successor due to TITLE.

The kenpo whore comment is not derogotory but more as a williness to accept the fact that one source does not have it all and one source will not have it all. This is a repeated statement from many individuals i have read in the short time I have been in kenpo.

It is not about the greatest or best, It is about your own journey. If you are willing to make the commitment to explore it on your own and find out for you self you are ahead of the rest.

Salute,

JD

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you have someone at the skill level of a Mr. Parker or Mr. Presas, someone who committs everything to the art, that has the magic, i don't know that there can be any one person that can fill their shoes.
When the grandmaster passes away, each has to then cut their own path.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally don't think it matters who should be the successor of Mr Parker. There are a hell of a lot of great INstructors out there and we have some of the finest here in the UK.

However in a eutopian view it would be nice to have everyone recognmised under one organisation, for purposes of acreditation.

Too many students get ripped off by McDojo's opening up for a a few weeks and then dissappearing.

I personally have only trained with a few people from the States MAstert Tatum, Mr Trejo, Dr Chapel to name some All worthy of their ranks in my humble opinion (only cos they blew my mind when I trained with them!!!)

And of course Mr E Parker Junior

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

i don't know why Ed Park Jr doesn't want to become Grandmaster of AK as a leader in AK ?????????

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
E P Junior cannot be a Grand Master as he isn't one, he is an excellent Ambassador for Kenpo.
Obviously now he is the Head of the IKKA anmd currently has his hands full with that at the moment.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
E P Junior cannot be a Grand Master as he isn't one, he is an excellent Ambassador for Kenpo.
Obviously now he is the Head of the IKKA anmd currently has his hands full with that at the moment.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
i don't know why Ed Park Jr doesn't want to become Grandmaster of AK as a leader in AK ?????????

Ed is a humble man who knows that he's in no way qualified to be a Grandmaster. He's a good person and no doubt does his best to be a benefit to his father's legacy... every branch of it, but he's not qualified, and I doubt he'd want the headache.

Your Brother
John

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
The solution is simple:

Larry Tatum should run EPAK. Clyde T. O'Briant should be his internet policeman.

I've met Clyde and I think I would prefer to meet him over the net than in person especially after he's had a few too many Newcastle Brow Ales !!!:D

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

The solution is simple:

Larry Tatum should run EPAK. Clyde T. O'Briant should be his internet policeman.

WTF?

Clyde

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clyde: I'm kinda serious about the putting Tatum in charge thing. Heck, even Al Tracy agrees.

As far as the Internet policeman thing...you visit the forums more than any other high-ranking Tatum guy so...

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Clyde: As far as the Internet policeman thing...you visit the forums more than any other high-ranking Tatum guy so...

One really cool thing I noticed about Clyde is that he uses the topics from Martial Talk, Kenpo Net, and Can Am to formulate lesson plans. He's not here to police the Internet, but use it for his benefit and the benefit of his students. Smart move if you ask me.

Another thing I like about Clyde is that he tests everything out, and is in a perpetual state of refinement. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon about how this or that doesn't work.... He's constantly exploring how to make Kenpo work within the framework that Mr. Parker created. In my opinion that's the sign of a great teacher, not a policeman.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Even better.

Larry Tatum, head of EPAK; Clyde T. O'Briant, head of on-line education.

Nope. You've got it wrong again.

Clyde uses his online experience to enhance his teaching in the studio.

Mr. Tatum, on the other hand, is the ONLY Kenpoist that has a Tip Of The Week video section on the net.

In other words I think Mr. Tatum fills both of those roles, and Clyde would have to second chair. :)

Latest Discussions