Rightful Heir

K

Kroy

I know that this a question that has been asked many times before but in your opinion who do you think is the one true person that should have took over the Kenpo system after Mr. Parker passed away. This is purely opinion.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I think it would have been better for us. Most of all Mr. Parker was a smart man and it was probably for the best that he didn't just give 1 person the reigns to the ship.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This was taken from an interview Black Belt magazine did with Mr. Parker in July 1979.

"My key protege is this kid Larry Tatum," Parker said with a laugh, continuing that "anyone younger than me I call a kid. He's my number one guy right now. He moves like me. He looks like me. He's got the power, everything. "
The kenpoist noted that he is helping 15-year student Tatum complete a book, Confidence, A Child's First Weapon. He also named two others he considers proteges, insiders with whom he has shared the full scope of his knowledge. Tom Kelly, who Parker said is the highest-degree black belt at a seventh-degree level, operates a Parker school in Salt Lake City; Joe Palanzo, another formal student who Parker said holds a fifth degree black belt, teaches at a school in Baltimore.

Here's a link to the whole article if you want to read it.
http://www.ltatum.com/Jul79.html

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

Fear not fellow kenpoists.

I know my kenpo children exist in a state of chaos. However!

When the time is right I will reveal myself and kenpo will be together once again.

Yes, I will restore us all to a previous state of glory.

There can only be one interpretation, the effective interpretation, my interpretation!!!!!

It will take sweat.....It will take blood....and it will take tears. Many will fall.....Many more will rise. and when the dust settles and when the moans go silent, There we will be, standing together. Kenpo, will reclaim its dominating position as the most effective martial system, under strong united leadership.

Let the mats be our proven grounds, the movement has begun.

Are YOU brave enough to follow me into the future?! :soapbox:

But really now, it's hard to say, I'm not sure who I'd want. I dont know any of them well enough to make that kind of decision. It is hard to find good first hand info.

All I know is that I'm interested in learning high quality kenpo and I like a teacher that can not only teach me but can also back it up.
It's nice when the teacher is a good person too. :D

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am a kenpo whore. I will take what i can get where i can get it.

The knowledge is out there. So what if there is not one central place. It is still attainable but you have to work for it.

Salute.

JD

OP
D

Dalton

Kenpo Cory-
Not to burst your bubble, but the article you cite was from July 1979, 11 years before Mr. Parker passed. Don't you think there were some events that took place that may have changed Mr. Parker's perspective on this specific topic? Maybe there wasn't, I don't know.
Yours in Kenpo,
Dalton Avery

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by JD_Nelson
I am a kenpo whore. I will take what i can get where i can get it.

The knowledge is out there. So what if there is not one central place. It is still attainable but you have to work for it.

Salute.

JD

No it doesnt matter, we are all here training like mad because we love what we do. I dont care if Mr. Bean was my Sifu, as long as he showed me the way. I just like to know what people think. (Kenpo Whore....I like that);)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dalton
Not to burst your bubble, but the article you cite was from July 1979, 11 years before Mr. Parker passed. Don't you think there were some events that took place that may have changed Mr. Parker's perspective on this specific topic? Maybe there wasn't, I don't know.

Did he make later statements about proteges?

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Sometimes I think it would have been better for us. Most of all Mr. Parker was a smart man and it was probably for the best that he didn't just give 1 person the reigns to the ship.

I agree 100%

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started a thread on this general idea once. It isn't obvious to me that the system benefits from having a single head, even though there are many benfits of having a single person in charge.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dalton
Kenpo Cory-
Yours in Kenpo,
Dalton Avery

I'm not sure if Mr. Parker's perspective changed or not. I was just adding some ingredients to the pot. In my opinion I honestly do not believe that any one person could run the show. As we all know, Mr. Parker gave information sporadically to whom he saw fit. I don't think any one person in the kenpo community has the knowledge Mr. Parker had. Personally, I haven't met any of the people Mr. Parker named as his proteges. But I can say I am happy with what I am learning from my instructor.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Take me to your leader... :cool:

The day has passed for that decision. His students now have the reigns, and are doing a fine job. Mr Kelly was in El Paso :D at one time. So he gets my vote!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
I know that this a question that has been asked many times before but in your opinion who do you think is the one true person that should have took over the Kenpo system after Mr. Parker passed away. This is purely opinion.

I don't think that there was ONE TRUE heir that 'should' have taken over. I don't think it would serve any good purpose really. Some stand out as the definite leaders, and have lead and are leading.

I think it's better this way.

Your Brother
John

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by Kroy

Kory,
Your statements seems to imply that there was ONE Kenpo system to hand over. Well before Mr. Parkers death this just wasn't the case. I will assume you mean EPAK. The question I would ask is, was anything within the system truly his to hand over? I mean, did he "leagally" own it? Was it copywrited, it seems not judging by what has happened to it since.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Kory,
Your statements seems to imply that there was ONE Kenpo system to hand over. Well before Mr. Parkers death this just wasn't the case. I will assume you mean EPAK. The question I would ask is, was anything within the system truly his to hand over? I mean, did he "leagally" own it? Was it copywrited, it seems not judging by what has happened to it since.
I don't know if you can copy write martial arts techniques/jargon.
Seems to me that the IKKA would have taken action on this.

Your Bro.
John

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Kory,

Yes I was refering to EPAK. And no he never had anything copywrited, this is why we have a multitude of American Kenpo Organizations. And that is why I asked the question. Thanks.

OP
K

Kroy

WhiteTiger, may I ask (humbly) which system of Kenpo do you train in?