Elbows...

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
how many folks out there drill elbows? Do you use pads with your training? What principles do you focus on? Do you do them independently or with the sandwiching motion? What angles do you work?

jb:asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice them as basic techniques and working them in on combinations on heavy bag. Jason, on the pad thing are you refering to elbow pads on and working them realistic on someone one. Or using focus/hand pads and working them as combinations.
Bob :asian:

B

brentb

I drill elbows with a partner in a boxing type drill using focus mitts.

They get integrated in a jab/cross/hook/uppercut/elbow/elbow/knee/knee/knee type of drill that emphasizes focus, stances and proper body rotation, and endurance. (when you do the knees, the partner holds both focus mitts together, and you grab with both hands behind their head and pull them into the three secondary knees, rotating sides). Usually we do these in smaller pieces for sets of ten reps, adding a couple of those moves after each ten, till you're doing the whole combination, at which point you do that for 10 reps. Then switch positions with the target holder. Quite a workout.

another elbow drill we do involves having a partner put on boxing gloves to protect their hands, while they fire random punches at you, as you practice elbow destructions and compression strikes like a JKD stylist might use.

my instructor always picks drills that will relate to the Kenpo techs he will be teaching us that day, so if we did the elbow drill, we might be learning a technique like flashing wings, or something similar later that uses elbows and rotating into different stances to generate power through torque.

take care
Brent

OP
ikenpo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

I practice them as basic techniques and working them in on combinations on heavy bag. Jason, on the pad thing are you refering to elbow pads on and working them realistic on someone one. Or using focus/hand pads and working them as combinations.
Bob :asian:

focus mitt/ thai pad drills...LOL

That would shorten the workout quite a bit the other way...:D

OP
ikenpo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brentb

I drill elbows with a partner in a boxing type drill using focus mitts.

They get integrated in a jab/cross/hook/uppercut/elbow/elbow/knee/knee/knee type of drill that emphasizes focus, stances and proper body rotation, and endurance. (when you do the knees, the partner holds both focus mitts together, and you grab with both hands behind their head and pull them into the three secondary knees, rotating sides). Usually we do these in smaller pieces for sets of ten reps, adding a couple of those moves after each ten, till you're doing the whole combination, at which point you do that for 10 reps. Then switch positions with the target holder. Quite a workout.

another elbow drill we do involves having a partner put on boxing gloves to protect their hands, while they fire random punches at you, as you practice elbow destructions and compression strikes like a JKD stylist might use.

my instructor always picks drills that will relate to the Kenpo techs he will be teaching us that day, so if we did the elbow drill, we might be learning a technique like flashing wings, or something similar later that uses elbows and rotating into different stances to generate power through torque.

take care
Brent

Excellent feedback,

Great drill. Ok, what do you focus on when striking with elbows? What is the principle you follow in regards to the actual contact? How does it relate to the contact of a fist?

Next are the elbow destructs horizontal, vertical and angled? And give me your definition of "compression strikes". I would comment that Silat and Kali practicioners do those as well (probably originated them).

Many people say those distructs can't be done. I watched a guy execute one on ESPN 2 against Alex Gong in the fourth round of their Muay Thai championship fight...of course I had to rewind to confirm because it was so subtle, but it was there and deliberate. He guided a quick jab right into the elbow as it came up slightly into a good strike. That alone was worth watching the entire fight...

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Elbow set # 1 & 2 ?

:asian:
Yes. Do some people call elbow set 1 striking set 2? I have had conversations with people and a lot of times we are talking about the same thing but calling it something different.

OP
ikenpo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

Elbow set # 1 & 2 ?

:asian:

I don't know Karate, but I know "Ka-razy".....James Brown

I'm not familiar with it....Let me check my notes and vids and see if I can find it...what level/rank is it taught at?

OP
ikenpo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

:(

Are they taught after first Black? I looked on your requirements and didn't see them listed and couldn't find them in my normal spots (i.e. Mr. Billings site, Brian Baker's site...).

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our school we are taught Elbow Set 1 at Blue belt. It is a fun set that can be integrated with others such as Blocking + Elbow Set, Stance + Elbow Set, Blocking + Stance Set, or all three together. Blocking , Elbow, and Stance Set. It is a fun mind drill combining those in to one set.

Michael

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Elbows are a great snack for an unsuspecting fist and one of the only defenses I can really see against a knee. My stance is like an Irish bare knuckle boxer. I hold my hands up so high that my elbows are about nose-level. If they get past my elbows, I like to headbutt their fists. I use what I call the "sack of antlers" approach. Against a roundhouse kick, I use a "conveniently slow" leg-block so as to knee the guy in the shin. I also like my impression of kyokushinkai. The reason I like to keep my dukes way up and learn to break bricks is because I like to punch people in their guards intentionally trying to break or bruise arms (or legs), or fake a kick and elbow their leg-block right above the knee. Sometimes the best offence is a good defense. That's where I believe elbows are in their element. Also, I lighten up for sparring, but I still let them know the way I do things. Also also, having your dukes way up like that actually works well as a midsection guard, because all I have to determine at that point is whether I plan on using it as a lead to encourage them to attack my misdsection, which I can expect, or if I can expect them to expect that, so they don't, especially after a couple of discouraging elbows to the fist, thigh or shin (read that a couple times...it makes sense).

"Go ahead. Make another move. I dare ya!" -chess quote