Renowned Scientist, Martial Arts Instructor Convicted of Molestation of 10 Year Old.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Before we call for public executions could we not spend just one tenth the cash and attempt to identify "potential" molesters at K through twelve? Just a thought.
Sean
The public outcry from anything remotely effective in identifying "potential" molesters would be deafening. Label someone who hasn't done anything "yet" or even put them on a watch list and you've violated their rights. I agree that the proactive approach is always better than the reactive approach but our laws protect the individual right up until they actually commit a crime. As a friend of mine was told at a protective order hearing a week before she was shot in the head ."We can't do anything at all until he actually does something."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Before we call for public executions could we not spend just one tenth the cash and attempt to identify "potential" molesters at K through twelve? Just a thought.
Sean

Prevention would, indeed, be a wonderful idea - but how would you do it? As Letch said, the presumption of innocence prevents any action by the legal system until something illegal occurs. Certainly, the rules in schools are tighter than the laws - certainly they are at the school I teach at - but the majority of students whom I see breaking a school rule about sexual harassment are adolescents who are testing the limits (I teach middle school) and not potential molesters - and even if they are, there are limits to what the schools can do; we are only allowed to respond to their behavior if it occurs at school or affects the performance of students or staff at school - and most perpetrators are smart enough to avoid public places when perpetrating.

As far as the idiot whose actions started this thread, I once read a description of how other inmates (many of whom were abused/molested themselves) would deal with molesters - I believe it went "they will kill him like a wild dog, and less gently" or something to that effect, which sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
The public outcry from anything remotely effective in identifying "potential" molesters would be deafening. Label someone who hasn't done anything "yet" or even put them on a watch list and you've violated their rights

Sad but true..We have a Sexual Offenders Notification program up here that alerts you when one of these POS have been released and have moved into your area..There is NO program for a suspected Sexual Offenders..

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Sean

Your intentions are noble, but I must point out that doing such things could violate the Constitutional Freedoms that we are blessed to have.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Yes, we do pay the price for this freedom, in that people that we "strongly believed to be odd" will commit crimes.

The only ways to really fight such heinous deeds, is to make the punishment that severe, that the offender is incapable of having the opportunity to become a repeat offender. Other than that, it comes down to the parents of a family, to hand down a good set of morals to their children. Those are the two strongest ways to prevent this, but even then, that's no guarantee.

If we were all to be thought monitored, where someone having the temptations and urges to commit horrible deeds could be busted, then the prison system would probably explode from having to incorporate the hundreds of millions of people.

Many of us weren't exactly angelic beings during our K-12 time, yet the overwhelming majority of us here haven't turned into such awful monsters.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and to clarify my opinion on this matter: The guy deserves to rot in prison for the rest of his life, if the charges stick after his appeals have been exhausted.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
green meanie said:
icon8.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif

You said it brother. Hey you remember what happened to jarheads before the MP's were called when they did something just absolutely horrific like human violation. I say a serious beat down is in order.

icon8.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Your intentions are noble, but I must point out that doing such things could violate the Constitutional Freedoms that we are blessed to have.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Yes, we do pay the price for this freedom, in that people that we "strongly believed to be odd" will commit crimes.

The only ways to really fight such heinous deeds, is to make the punishment that severe, that the offender is incapable of having the opportunity to become a repeat offender. Other than that, it comes down to the parents of a family, to hand down a good set of morals to their children. Those are the two strongest ways to prevent this, but even then, that's no guarantee.

If we were all to be thought monitored, where someone having the temptations and urges to commit horrible deeds could be busted, then the prison system would probably explode from having to incorporate the hundreds of millions of people.

Many of us weren't exactly angelic beings during our K-12 time, yet the overwhelming majority of us here haven't turned into such awful monsters.
I would hardly consider our constitutional freedom an issue these days. You lost that on 911.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Former karate instructor pleads guilty to sex offenses

A former karate instructor pleaded guilty Tuesday in Marion Superior Court to vicarious sexual gratification with a former student.

Jeffrey Edward Niemeyer, 42, will face three years in prison when he is sentenced Dec. 8, according to the plea agreement reached with prosecutors.

The print version of the story contained additional info.

Latest Discussions