Religious "medals" in class

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the scapular. These things are important to me for several reasons. My off the mat jobs have included pastoring churches & working as a social worker in churches. I have degrees in Biblical Studies & Christian Education. The last thing I'd want to do is make someone feel unwelcome in my class for their religious beliefs.

I'm sure you could never do that

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is also the question of the leather strap. Is it loos enough to catch an sparring partner's fingers in it, or could it accidentaly put pressure on the wearer's neck?

I'm an Orthodox Jew, and would either remove my kippa, or wear one with velcro fasteners during training.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is also the question of the leather strap. Is it loos enough to catch an sparring partner's fingers in it, or could it accidentaly put pressure on the wearer's neck?

I'm an Orthodox Jew, and would either remove my kippa, or wear one with velcro fasteners during training.

If they want to have it with them, I would have them create a pocket (or use velcro or tape) to put it in their uniform. The strap wouldn't be an issue. I thought the same about the potential danger of it.

Forgive me, but what is a kippa? I'm not familiar with the term.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they want to have it with them, I would have them create a pocket (or use velcro or tape) to put it in their uniform. The strap wouldn't be an issue. I thought the same about the potential danger of it.

Forgive me, but what is a kippa? I'm not familiar with the term.

"Kippa" means head-covering - more correct, but less commonly-used (in the US) than "yarmulke" - basically, a skullcap - worn by all Orthodox Jewish adult men (any male past the age of 13 who has been Bar Mitzvah). Many men keep them on with metal hair clips, which is what I was talking about when I first posted on this thread, but there are other types of clips available - for safety, for preference, and because base metals cannot be worn into the shul (place of worship).

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Kippa" means head-covering - more correct, but less commonly-used (in the US) than "yarmulke" - basically, a skullcap - worn by all Orthodox Jewish adult men (any male past the age of 13 who has been Bar Mitzvah). Many men keep them on with metal hair clips, which is what I was talking about when I first posted on this thread, but there are other types of clips available - for safety, for preference, and because base metals cannot be worn into the shul (place of worship).

Another tip in from Kacey! Thank you ma'am. I know the word yarmulke. Kippa actually sounds like it would be the more commonly used word. I wonder why it isn't.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another tip in from Kacey! Thank you ma'am. I know the word yarmulke. Kippa actually sounds like it would be the more commonly used word. I wonder why it isn't.
You're welcome - and I'm not sure why; some of it was dialectical, and some of it involved which words made it into English - like menorah (which means candelabra) becoming the common word for the candelabra used for Hanukah, when the correct term is hanukiot (basically, Hanukah candelabra).

Anyway, to get back to the discussion, I would talk to them about the purpose of the medal/icon, and see what they say. I think ninjamom had a great idea, sewing them into the dobak top, if that's okay with them; if they were cloth, I wouldn't be particularly concerned, but leather can cut - that's why we don't use leather sparring gear. If they need to wear it, rather than attaching it to the dobak top, maybe they have cloth scapulars they can wear in class instead of the leather ones - that would take care of both the religious and safety issues that have been raised, as cloth won't hurt anyone, and they would still be wearing a scapular. Otherwise, I'd see if they can keep them tucked inside the dobak top, and maybe fastem them down inside - realistically, if they ever have to defend themselves, they'll still be wearing a scapular, so they should learn how with one on - just not in a fashion that puts them or other students at risk. I never had problems with my Orthodox students in terms of using non-dangerous clips on their kippah, and I don't think you should have problems with these students as long as they know you are trying to avoid injury and have some options for them to choose from.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Kippa is the Hebrew term. Yarmulke is Yiddish. Since most NA Jews are from Eastern European ancestry, the Yiddish term became more prevalent. It is slowly losing out as the younger generations are less, if at all, fluent in Yiddish.

It comes down to accommodating faith within safety parameters. And in a dojo, safety must always win.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kippa is the Hebrew term. Yarmulke is Yiddish. Since most NA Jews are from Eastern European ancestry, the Yiddish term became more prevalent. It is slowly losing out as the younger generations are less, if at all, fluent in Yiddish.

Its sad when the younger generations loose out on their heritage. Thanks for the insight!

It comes down to accommodating faith within safety parameters. And in a dojo, safety must always win.

I agree completely.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How's it going with your students Iceman? :)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

To be honest, I've been so busy prepping for my pre-test video & starting up with a new session & new students, I forgot to bring it up or even notice if they were wearing them. I'll letcha know after tomorrow.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Funny thing....I noticed in class last night that hey haven't been wearing them in class this session. I haven't even said anything to them. Maybe they've read this thread.:ultracool

Latest Discussions