rank-age-time

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, I think It will be a good thread.
Now back o the OP.

I think that between 1st and 2nd maybe a year or 2 is or after that I think a minimum of 3 years but I would prefer a 5 year span between grades after after 2nd. I feel that the 5 year period gives the person a chance to prove that he/she is still learning, studying, and advancing the art.
I do fell that the rank of master is one that should show a devotion to learning and advancement of the art in both the mental aspect and the physical. I fell that a master should know the history of his art and he should know many if not all of the people his instructor has studied with be they in his particular system or in other systems, because those people helped mold his instructor in what he became.

tshadowchaser

In my last post I said 2 yrs between grades 2-5th, because I was trying to compromise between a decent business model and expectations of student development, but I believe your figure of 3 yrs is actually better around the 3rd-4th dan range. I believe it really depends on the goals/reqirements of the rank. How much time does it take to learn a new kata, compared to learning a new set of principles to reach the new rank level. If it is just learning a new kata, a few new techniques, then maybe 2 years is fine. However if it is learning a new set of principles such as in a Aikijutsu type of an art then perhaps 3-4 years is needed to really adapt and learn them.

In regards to knowing the history of a particular art, I do think that is important but I believe knowing the history of the martial arts in general is better. Having a basic knowledge of how say the arts of karate was developed from Okinawa to Japan and the influences of the Chinese martial arts, as well as the influences of the Japanese arts on TKD and how it all got transported across the globe is important for students to know. Even more so than the lineage of my particular instructor.

For instance I tell my Modern Arnis students about GM Remy, and GM Ernesto Presas. I explain their influences on me, the possible influences on their development of their art etc. etc. But I also try and explain some of the history of the Philippines and the influences on the FMAs in general, I try and show the differences between the classical techniques (based on blade work) and the modern applications based on impact weapons. I try and tie in different types of material that I might have learned in Pekiti Tirsa etc. etc. and how it is similar/dissimilar to Modern Arnis but not by focusing on the GM's of the systems but rather systems themselves.

In regards to my karate sensei, I know some of his background but after 30+ years of knowing him I'm still finding out what he trained in and where, he'll off hand over dinner sometimes, tell me about hooking up with someone's dad as a kid who taught him some basic escrima, or him learning judo from the soldiers on base when he was 14, him learning fencing etc. etc. This info doesn't really effect my students, per say, they can't relate to it. But if I teach them about their kata, and show them how the kata was developed; started as Okinawan, then moved to Japan, then the Korean masters took it apart and created a new form etc. etc. it helps them to see the creativity and a wider view of the arts in general.

Latest Discussions