Studying More Than One Martial Art

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the thread How many arts are you studying or training in? started by Kiz Bell, just over half of the people that responded to the poll answered that they study more than one MA.

I am considering taking up another martial art. Are there recomendations as to when someone should start a second MA? Generally, is it suggested that one should achieve a certain rank within an art before starting another? Does it cause much confusion when studying more than one MA?

More specifically for my case, I am presently a 4th Gup in TKD. I am thinking about checking out a Hapkido class. I have discussed it with my TKD instructor already, and he didn't have a problem especially if I bring back to his class some of what I learn.

I appreciate your feedback.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that you are keeping in line with your TKD with Hap Ki Do and I think you will be ok with it. In this case I think you are complimenting your training.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From what I remember about tdk and what I have seen about Hapkido I can only agree with Brandon Fisher "you are complimenting your training."

I started in Jujitsu (back in the Stone Age) and went to TDK and I believe it was a very good addition to my training at that time.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a 1st gup in WTF TKD. I started taking jujitsu this time last year. Now I am switching to ITF TKD WITH jujitsu. I don't see a problem as of yet with either system. I actually think it's good. Both systems are different enough, unless both jujitsu systems hit the wall ... like counter-react each other. But I really don't see that happening right now.

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the responses. If anyone else is interested, I just found this thread in the HKD area that also relates to TKD and HKD crosstraining:

Hapkido/ TKD Crosstraining

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
when I got my first level black belt , I was required to begin learning another martial art.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ditto on the Hapkido.
This is probably the best blend for TKD. If not, SOME forms Aikido or Daito Ryu and perhaps some Jujutsu will go well.
But the TKD/HKD blend is tried and true.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
crushing said:
In the thread How many arts are you studying or training in? started by Kiz Bell, just over half of the people that responded to the poll answered that they study more than one MA.

I am considering taking up another martial art. Are there recomendations as to when someone should start a second MA? Generally, is it suggested that one should achieve a certain rank within an art before starting another? Does it cause much confusion when studying more than one MA?

More specifically for my case, I am presently a 4th Gup in TKD. I am thinking about checking out a Hapkido class. I have discussed it with my TKD instructor already, and he didn't have a problem especially if I bring back to his class some of what I learn.

I appreciate your feedback.

I train in more than one art. I do think that having a solid base in one art prior to beginning something else, is a good idea. As to the confusion...depending on what you're taking, there may be a slight variation in the way techniques are executed, but again, if a solid based is attained in one art first, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the transition.

Mike

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
See whre you are lacking, see what you want to improve on and find an art that builds on those levels, I had buddy go from boxing and greeko-roman to muay thai and aikido all based on things he saw as his "weaknesses." He has the strangest fighting style I've ever seen, but it works for him...

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest not picking things too similar

(not exact, but i have student that also trains in anothr aikido style aswell as mine) and TBH he comes to class more confused than if he stayed with just one - unfortunately he can only train with me one day per week and at the other place 2 times - so i am thinking of suggesting he stays with just the one school (theirs - as he gets more study time) - slightly off topic i know

I studied aikido and along side that also trained Muay thai - very different arts and no real conflictions whilst training either - infact it helped with both styles understanding the opposite movements etc

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.

Well, I went to my first Hapkido class yesterday (6/25/06). I thought it was a good class. We worked on falling properly and started on some same-side wrist grab breaks. It was only one class, but so far I think I agree that it will complement TKD.

Thanks again!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm too stubborn to try to pick up another style. I've still got too much to learn in my own, though I will occasionally go to clinics or work with people in other styles to see what they're about.

I'd suggest that if you want to experiment with another style, you pick something that will fill holes in your own style. For example, a TKD stylist might look for something that will teach them to use their hands better. Or a striker might go for grappling.

I'd also encourage you to read Living The Martial Way. It's got interesting insights about cross-training.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Learning one art is will be enough many times. But learn more than one art also opens the mind to new/other ways of training and skills use.

My son and I train in Shotokan for a few years..the Sensi retired (indepentant school). We started all over in Kempo and love it ever since..both school actully give us some advantages. .....Aloha

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For a second art, I would reccommend picking one that has a range that you do not work in much in your own art (for me, I began TKD to improve my kicks from Karate and kenpo to improve my close in-fighting).

As to when to begin, I recommend after 1st degree BB or its equivalent.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
With what you have stated I feel that you can do nothing but help out your TKD. Hapkido and TKD seem to mesh very well.

I start my students on their "second art at green belt(4th Kyu). But the art I start them on is Kobudo. It has been seen in my school that at this level they have at least an intermediate ability to control their own body and it doe snothing but help them. I ask them that if they choose to study and art that I don't teach that they would share their new knowledge with me and my advanced students. This is what I have done in the past and it has always been well recieved.

BTW-I teach, but I stiil go to other schools to train. Knowledge is power.

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your responses. I've only been studying HKD for a couple weeks now, but so far I do get the feeling that it's close and circular style does seem to be meshing with my linear and distant TKD studies.

HKD is opening for me new possibilties when I go back and spar in my TKD class. My TKD instructor isn't much for point sparring and he also teaches takedowns, throws, grappling, and submissions.

Knowledge is power. I've always liked that phrase. Ever since it was prominently displayed many years ago in my elementary school cafetorium.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am studying Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do concurrent with each other. The best aspect of training HKD and TKD is the fact that the striking, blocking and kicking are the same. So you get the extra reps. After that HKD and TKD are polar opposites.

Hapkido has throwing, modified throwing, wrist and clothes techniques, cane techniques, one arm throwing etc. Tae Kwon Do has none of this.

Tae kwon Do is based on forms, one step sparring and basic moves. Working the forms is absolutely a fab workout.

Now, it will only be confusing at the beginning. Plus it is like anything else, it is all about how much time you put into it.

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Modern Arnis for about five years total, and am currently a brown belt with one stripe. A year ago I started also studying Aikido, and am a 7th kyu. I find many similarities of course in the joint locks, but also in the trapping and deflections and triangle footwork. I take a studious approach to the martial arts, and I am constantly thinking of the similarities and differences.

I am disdainful of the "blended" martial arts approach, and since I started studying two arts, I have made an effort to keep them both separate. I think this is imperitave for all students while in the first year or two of the second art. There were many times already in Aikido where I would have a typical "Arnis" response to a particular attack, that I would have to suppress if I was to learn Aikido. "Emptying my cup", as the saying goes.

My ultamate goal is to learn and continue studying both arts in their pure form, and take from both a useful means of self defense. This to me is fundamentally different from the mix and match approach popular among those who have a superficial understanding of JKD. No one not studying for AT LEAST ten years has the judgement to "take what works, discard what doesn't". The founders of most martial arts were true geniuses. We should respect what they devised, not judge from our position of ignorance. I have no desire to create my own "hybrid" art, nor to teach it.

That said, I find it interesting and a little disturbing that in my Aikido class, I often get flustered, as a beginner does, when faced with an attack that I would easily handle in my Arnis class using Arnis techniques. In a sense, it means that I am somewhat successfully separating the two arts in my mind, and open-mindedly learning Aikido without the baggage of my previous training. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if faced with a self defense situation whether I would do what is necessary, and move without thought to style and technique, displaying "mushin" so to speak, or whether I would get confused and flustered, pausing for a split second wondering "should I do Aikido or Arnis"? Maybe others who have studied two arts for longer than I have some thoughts. How do you react in your "newer" art when presented with a situation that you are relatively comfortable with in your "older" art?

Thanks,
Stan

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stan,

Thank you and I appreciate your concern about the 'blended' approach and the potential confusion and the problems it may cause.

The TKD organization I am in isn't strictly traditional (well, except for when it comes to basics and the hyungs/poomse). In fact, the GM has a saying "If it works on me today, it’s Tae Kwon Do tomorrow." Maybe it's the willingness to embrace and extend in my TKD organization that helps HKD complement it for me. This being the case I feel that I would be more likely to use HKD in my TKD training, than the other way around.

I am still in the early stages of the second martial art, and as I gain better understanding and more knowledge, I may come to seek more of a separation between the two.

Thanks again,
crushing

Latest Discussions