Racism and The Democratic party

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hell, no. Keeping women, Blacks, Latinos and the rest "in their place" has been explicit stated policy since Dewey.
Don't forget that republican presidential candidate George Wallace...er, wait, he was a democrat. On the other hand, don't forget that great democrat who was president during the civil war...er, wait he has a republican. Bull Conner and Bob Byrd were democrats too. There's plenty of bad on both sides.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keeping women, Blacks, Latinos and the rest "in their place" has been explicit stated policy since Dewey.

Really? [sarcasm] Would you advise keeping them on the government nipple via welfare? Lets create a nation of dependents. Make sure those welfare checks just keep on rolling in. They surely don't know how to take care of themselves, so lets get a bunch of very smart guys in DC to provide for them.[/sarcasm]

I don't mind a level playing field. I've got no problem with that. However, I don't like the playing field tilted either way. I don't like seeing job reqs that include "minorities and women encouraged to apply" anymore than I'd enjoy seeing "white males encouraged to apply". I also don't see many public scholarships designated for caucasions. Are these things leveling the playing field? I would hope we have move beyond the need for special rights and moved to the realm of normal rights.

I'm impressed when I see Blacks/Latinos/Women that really excel in life. They sometimes came out of hard circumstances and did well. I'm equally impressed when I see a Caucasion Male born into poverty or other bad circumstance excel. It's a human situation, not a color/gender situation. The more our differences are highlighted, the more they will stick around and cause problems.

My point, lets start labeling ourselves based on race/gender and actually mix into this melting pot and start calling ourselves Americans, ok?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

Our buddy Fritz:
Prediction: various posters will claim these quotes are taken out of context, false, or misinterpreted. Odds of prediction:100%

Well, I know that the ones about the Douglas-Lincoln debates were real, and in context. You lose.

You also have to remember that the partys switched (in the what, 20's?), with Republicans being all about big buisness, conservativism, and in-equality under law, and Dem.s taking over the protector of the small guy, liberalism, and equal rights. Wasn't that also when it went from being an all dem. south, to the republican block?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
You also have to remember that the partys switched (in the what, 20's?), with Republicans being all about big buisness, conservativism, and in-equality under law, and Dem.s taking over the protector of the small guy, liberalism, and equal rights. Wasn't that also when it went from being an all dem. south, to the republican block?

The parties have shifted over time. Always changing. Some of the quotes from JFK would make modern Democrats squirm...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keeping women, Blacks, Latinos and the rest "in their place" has been explicit stated policy since Dewey.
Really, is that why President George W Bush appointed the first TWO black Secretaries of State? Is that their place? Holy Crap! I never would have known that was their place... Oh, wait, he did something else, too, he appointed the first LATINO Attorney General, that racist mother....

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget that republican presidential candidate George Wallace...er, wait, he was a democrat. On the other hand, don't forget that great democrat who was president during the civil war...er, wait he has a republican. Bull Conner and Bob Byrd were democrats too. There's plenty of bad on both sides.

There certainly is. I have said a couple times that that is absolutely true. Racism, tribalism, xenophobia, whatever you want to call it is an unfortunate part of the human condition and affects most of us to one degree or another. An individual Republican is no more likely than an individual Democrat to harbor such feelings.

The difference is that the Democrats as a matter of Party policy have put aside racism and instituted massive civil rights reforms over the last sixty years. The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy, opposed every single one of them and have spent three Presidential Administrations rolling them back. The success of the GOP in national elections can be entirely accounted for by formerly Democratic Southerners switching over to the Republicans largely if not almost entirely out of hostility towards those policies. The metamorphosis of boll weevils into elephants is one of the most profound (if biologically unlikely) chapters in the annals of political natural history.

Wallace is an interesting case. He refused to follow Thurmond during the Dixiecrat walkout. When he ran for governor of Alabama the first time he chose a non-racial campaign based on bread-and-butter issues. His opponent in the Democratic primary ran on a straight Jim Crow ticket. When he was defeated Wallace said, and I quote "They out ******ed me. They'll never do that again." He became an outspoken segregationist right up until the time many years later when it became a political liability. As comedian Mark Russell said years later "...and George Wallace has decided to extend a hand to the Black community by playing the lead in Porgy and Bess. His campaign slogan is 'Aw, go ahead and let 'em overcome.' " When he ran for President it was under the American Independent banner.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1957 and 1960 are over sixty years ago?
Or that Republican (and thus, evil bastard) Dwight Eisenhower signed the Civil Rights act of 1957, which was proposed by his Attorney General Herbert Brownell shamefull?
Or that Ike also signed the Civil Rights Act of 1960, which democrats fought?
Or that more republican members of Congress voted for the Civil Rights act of 1964?
Quote:
The original House version:

* Democratic Party: 153-96 (64%-39%)
* Republican Party: 138-34 (80%-20%)

The Senate version:

* Democratic Party: 46-22 (68%-32%)
* Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)

The Senate version, voted on by the House:

* Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%-37%)
* Republican Party: 136-35 (80%-20%)

* Yeah, those republicans are racist bastards all right...
The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy, opposed every single one of them and have spent three Presidential Administrations rolling them back.
Prove it. Post proof or retract. You can lie, but, I keep posting those pesky FACTS...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Byrd wasn't filibustering a civil rights act (1960) a mere 47 years ago? Yeah, Robert Byrd D WV, reelected every 6 damn years by those evil republicans...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The difference is that the Democrats as a matter of Party policy have put aside racism and instituted massive civil rights reforms over the last sixty years.
Except for fighting the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 (fifty years ago) and the Civil Rights Act of 1960(Forty-seven years ago)
The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy,
Show me anywhere, outside democrat propaganda that that is stated
opposed every single one of them and have spent three Presidential Administrations rolling them back.
Yet, Nixon made Affirmative Action law, Bush (43) appointed the first TWO Black Secretaries of State, and the first Latino Attorney General...
The success of the GOP in national elections can be entirely accounted for by formerly Democratic Southerners switching over to the Republicans largely if not almost entirely out of hostility towards those policies. The metamorphosis of boll weevils into elephants is one of the most profound (if biologically unlikely) chapters in the annals of political natural history.

Wallace is an interesting case. He refused to follow Thurmond during the Dixiecrat walkout. When he ran for governor of Alabama the first time he chose a non-racial campaign based on bread-and-butter issues. His opponent in the Democratic primary ran on a straight Jim Crow ticket. When he was defeated Wallace said, and I quote "They out ******ed me. They'll never do that again." He became an outspoken segregationist right up until the time many years later when it became a political liability. As comedian Mark Russell said years later "...and George Wallace has decided to extend a hand to the Black community by playing the lead in Porgy and Bess. His campaign slogan is 'Aw, go ahead and let 'em overcome.' " When he ran for President it was under the American Independent banner.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Will the Republican National Committee Chair do?
If it had directly been related to "The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy", The newpaper article said "some republicans" (not it was the "policy of the party") and while the newspaper labeled "we were wrong" an apology it doesn't sound to me like "we're sorry" or "we apologize."

So in lieu of the actual speech, it doesn't quite show that this is or was "republican party stated policy"

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
So in lieu of the actual speech, it doesn't quite show that this is or was "republican party stated policy"

Why would he apologize for the Southern Strategy then? If it was only something that Nixon cooked up in his twisted little mind that had nothing to do with the rest of the party (*cough cough*) then why would Mehlman as a representative of the entire party apologize for it, and say "we were wrong"?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would he apologize for the Southern Strategy then? If it was only something that Nixon cooked up in his twisted little mind that had nothing to do with the rest of the party (*cough cough*) then why would Mehlman as a representative of the entire party apologize for it, and say "we were wrong"?
So Nixon signed Affirmative Action into law, and simultaneously sought to screw black people by working directly against the policy he pushed forward? Yeah, right...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it had directly been related to "The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy", The newpaper article said "some republicans" (not it was the "policy of the party") and while the newspaper labeled "we were wrong" an apology it doesn't sound to me like "we're sorry" or "we apologize."

The Democrats don't apologize for their blatantly racist past (Biden's comments aren't too far in the past, btw...((“In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.”)))they just ignore it, and pretend republicans are worse.http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_org_democratic.html
They rail against republicans when they supported laws making interracial marriage illegal...
Their leaders are former KKK leaders, but, the republicans are the racists...
Byrd's opposition to President George H. W. Bush's nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1991 to replace Thurgood Marshall -- making Byrd the only Senator to have opposed the nomination of both of the only two black Supreme Court justices – and Byrd's 2004 opposition to some of George W. Bush's judicial and cabinet nominees who are black, notably Federal Judge Janice Rogers Brown and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, was motivated by racism
So, appointing black people to powerful positions is racism in action and keeping the minorities in their place, so opposing their nominations must be equality, right?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Nixon signed Affirmative Action into law, and simultaneously sought to screw black people by working directly against the policy he pushed forward? Yeah, right...

Wait, so now you're denying that the Southern Strategy even existed? WTF was Mehlman apologizing for then?

Here is Nixon strategist Kevin Phillips in a 1970 NYT interview: "From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

Here is Lee Atwater, advisor to Reagan and Bush 41, in a 1981 interview with Bob Herbert: "You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say '******'—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites."

Are you still going to claim that the Southern Strategy didn't exist?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may want to look at the tolerance and love of immigrants implicit in Section XII
Tolerance, respect for all races, etc...

Compare the above excerpt from the Democratic platform of 1860 with the Republican platform of the same year:

Gee...
Quick, of which party's platform was this:
It was the plain purpose of the fifteenth amendment to the Constitution, to prevent discrimination on account of race or color in regulating the elective franchise. Devices of State governments, whether by statutory or constitutional enactment, to avoid the purpose of this amendment are revolutionary, and should be condemned.
? Did you guess Democrat? Yeah, WRONG

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The difference is that the Democrats as a matter of Party policy have put aside racism and instituted massive civil rights reforms over the last sixty years.
See the post above...
The Republicans have, as a matter of stated Party policy
Here is some stated party policy for you:Republican Party Platform of 1952
We condemn bigots who inject class, racial and religious prejudice into public and political matters. Bigotry is un-American and a danger to the Republic.
We deplore the duplicity and insincerity of the Party in power in racial and religious matters. Although they have been in office as a Majority Party for many years, they have not kept nor do they intend to keep their promises.
The Republican Party will not mislead, exploit or attempt to confuse minority groups for political purposes. All American citizens are entitled to full, impartial enforcement of Federal laws relating to their civil rights.
We believe that it is the primary responsibility of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions, and this power, reserved to the states, is essential to the maintenance of our Federal Republic. However, we believe that the Federal Government should take supplemental action within its constitutional jurisdiction to oppose discrimination against race, religion or national origin.
We will prove our good faith by:
Appointing qualified persons, without distinction of race, religion or national origin, to responsible positions in the Government.
Federal action toward the elimination of lynching.
Federal action toward the elimination of poll taxes as a prerequisite to voting.
Appropriate action to end segregation in the District of Columbia.
Enacting Federal legislation to further just and equitable treatment in the area of discriminatory employment practices. Federal action should not duplicate state efforts to end such practices; should not set up another huge bureaucracy.
Contrast with the Democratic platform of the same year, Gee, one sounds quite a bit more firm in their belief in equality and in what they will do to ensure it...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love how a 147 year old document is supposed to say something about a political party now...

Big D, when you feel like descending from the heights of partisan hackery, you may want to note that a number of people have already noted that the Democratic Party has a long history of an ugly coalition between Southern racists and Northern liberals. That Faustian bargain ended 30-40 years ago with the apotheosis of the Southern Strategy. The Southern racists, like Strom Thurmond, migrated to the Republican party once the Republican party made a deliberate effort to court their vote through coded racist appeals and opposition to key civil rights related positions. That the strategy occurred is without doubt, and is confirmed by architects of the strategy as I have quoted above.

Quoting the party platforms from 1860 is the height of irrelevance to this discussion. The fact that you have ignored this when it is pointed out to you speaks to your partisanship. If you continue to do so it will speak to your character, if it hasn't already.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every Party Platform from 1840 to 2004 is at THIS LINK, run by UCSB (Not a notedly conservative school), check the link, the ONLY hostility to other races AT ALL is in the DEMOCRATIC platforms, proving Tellner's repeated accusation of "Stated party policy"to be a bald faced lie.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quoting the party platforms from 1860 is the height of irrelevance to this discussion. The fact that you have ignored this when it is pointed out to you speaks to your partisanship. If you continue to do so it will speak to your character, if it hasn't already.
Since Tellner has repeatedly LIED about the republican party's history regarding racial issues (Here and Here and Here ) I decided to do what he has not deigned to do, PROVE what I am saying is true. Check the links, I have put more links in this thread than you can shake a stick at. I have yet to see Tellner, or anyone else prove any nefarious scheme of racism by republicans, or any real admittance of the democratic party's continual racist words and actions. When, as occasionally happens, a republican in a position of power, the FIRST people to call him on it are REPUBLICANS. When democrats utter racist tripe, (Biden, Jesse Jackson, Hillary, etc) their party DEFENDS THEM. The republican party acts to REMOVE asses from it's midst, the Democrats approach to the asses in their midst is to apologize for them, make excuses for them and most of all, donate money to them.
This hypocrisy is more than a little sickening.

Latest Discussions