Quotes, Proverbs, and Maxims

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”- Archilochos (TOP 12 QUOTES BY ARCHILOCHUS | A-Z Quotes)

"Wise men sought Christ and still do." - Warner Pidgeon (Wise Men Sought Jesus And They Still Do sermon, Wise Men Sought Jesus And They Still Do sermon by Warner Pidgeon, Matthew 2:1-11)

"Taking something from one man and making it worse is plagiarism." - George A. Moore

"By quoting myself, I hope you all think I'm much more important than I am." - Christopher Gronlund

"Plagiarism really chaps my ***." - Me

Sorry your hide is chapped Steve. Get some vasaline. Never heard of your sources that are similar to what I've been saying for decades so it's not plagiarism. I was just passing on what I've said in church and in training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry your hide is chapped Steve. Get some vasaline. Never heard of your sources that are similar to what I've been saying for decades so it's not plagiarism. I was just passing on what I've said in church and in training.
Oh, man.

“Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.”
― Dostoyevsky.

"When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brian

Even paraphrasing someone else's words or ideas without proper citation is plagiarism. If you're paraphrasing, it's not a quote, so it doesn't need quotation marks. But changing words doesn't make it your own idea. In an academic paper, paraphrasing without proper citation would be plagiarism, but more importantly here, it's just really... really lame.

Also, you don't need to know the source of something to know that the source isn't you.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your just being an idiot Steve, and taking the thread off course. This isn't an academic paper. No need for a citation on a quote you didn't know existed that is similar to what you've personally said for years. You're just being, well...anal. How about not being a quote-nazi and contribute to the thread?

Ask not what your martial arts board can do for you, ask what you can do for your martial arts board - me

I have not yet begun to quote - me

I have come here today to chew bubble gum and quote martial artsy stuff...and I'm all out of bubble gum - me

:happy:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Failure to accord credit to anyone for what he may have done is a great weakness in any man. - William Howard Taft

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.

I will persist until I succeed.

Og Mandino

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honest communication is built on truth and integrity and upon respect of the one for the other. - Benjamin E. Mays

My way's not very sportsmanlike - Fezzik (Andre the Giant)

Hard work is rewarding. Taking credit for other people's hard work is rewarding and faster. - Scott Adams

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife - God

Have a nice day - me

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Kong Soo Do - Do you have a problem with William Taft??? More of a Woodrow Wilson guy, I guess....

If you'd like to continue this via PM I'd be happy to oblige. That way the man's thread doesn't get cluttered or side tracked.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Truly, if you give credit where due, there's nothing to discuss. Do the right thing going forward. Stealing other peoples' quotes and attributing them to yourself is just... really dishonest. Speaks to character.

"It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit." - Noel Coward

"Life comes down to honesty and doing what's right. That's what's most important." - Bob Feller

"Honesty is something you can't wear out." - Waylon Jennings (Cousin of mine, by the by)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as I stated quite clearly, nothing you've posted applies to me. In any way, shape or form. Finding quotes that are 'kinda' like what I said from people I've not heard of is meaningless and a waste of time in this thread. I also gave several quotes and did attribute credit to who said them. If that still bothers you Steve, well, too be honest is of little concern to me. I'm done with you now in this thread because;

If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest. - God

And if you don't want to converse via PM;

A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. - William Shakespeare

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
On self awareness: “You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” - Ernest Hemingway

On doing the right thing: "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." - Maya Angelou

On character: "The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." - Anne Frank

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
- Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
- Jesse "The Body" Ventura

I hate that quote. (Not you or him, just the quote)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters. - Albert Einstein

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. - Thomas Jefferson

Morality is the basis of things and truth is the substance of all morality. - Mahatma Gandhi

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hate that quote. (Not you or him, just the quote)

I always found it funny when he'd say that in his WWF commentator days.

When I was wrestling in high school, our coach had us write down inspirational quotes, and the best one would be on the back of our t-shirts. I wrote that one down because I was so sick of seeing the same handful of quotes on everyone else's shirts. It was getting old - "Go hard or go home!" "Respect all, fear none!" and all the other cliches.

Mine was the second or third one he read. He said "forget it; no stupid quotes like everyone else."

Latest Discussions