Quitting smoking - need your support

OP
meta

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An hour ago I was very tempted to go out and buy some cigarettes, but I decided to stay home and read forum posts instead. If it wasn't for your support, I'd probably be back where I was several days ago. So once again, thank you to you all!

Lisa, Kasey and IcemanSK, thank you for sharing these stories with me. It must be hard to see your loved ones go through all this suffering. It helps me to think that I'm quitting not only for myself, but also for the sake of those who care about me.

As for keeping my hands busy, crocheting is a great idea. I enjoy it very much, but I haven't had a chance to do it in years, so I might try that. Thanks, Kasey.

I'm trying to notice positive changes in my body, such as those that donna mentioned. I had trouble falling asleep last night, and I feel very irritable and moody, but I know that all these discomforts are nothing compared to the long-term benefits of being a non-smoker.

:)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep up the good Meta! I lost my Father-in-Law to lung cancer, that combined with the smoking induced emphysema was enough to solidify my resolve to NEVER go back to them. The temptation is still there even years later, but the rewards FAR, FAR outweight the alternative ending. Good luck, it will get easier the longer you go without!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad we could help! Please keep us up to date on how you're doing.

OP
meta

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Today was the hardest day so far. I woke up feeling tired, and I couldn't concentrate all day. At some point I realized that these are probably just physical signs of withdrawal. I had two hours of training today, and I'm feeling so much better now. :) In my Kyokushin class I was reminded of my reasons for quitting, and this was enough to make my cravings go away, at least for a while... I have two more training sessions this weekend, which is a good thing. :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be willing to bet food is begining to taste better already. Just one of the great benifits.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
meta,

I tried to give up the smokes a no. of times. Before my Pastor gave me what turned out to be great advice. At this point I had been praying, and struggling(I did try the patch,but the stupid thing would'nt stay lit!) with this for quite some time. What he said was,"why don't you pray and, ask The Lord Jesus, to help you stop. When HE is ready for you to stop. I did, and by GOD's Grace,I've stopped!!!! I have already prayed for you, and will continue, till you say stop.

By GOD's Grace,
1stJohn 1:9

OP
meta

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll be willing to bet food is begining to taste better already.

You are right, and my sense of smell is also returning. Today I discovered that I can run faster too. :)

donald, thank you for praying for me. I can relate to what you are saying. As a smoker, I knew I'd have to quit sometime, but I never felt ready to do that. Last Sunday I suddenly realized that I was going to quit on Monday. It was a very strong feeling, like I had no choice. :) I think it was God's way of answering my prayers, and I'm glad that I was led to this decision through martial arts.

OP
meta

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, Xue Sheng :)

ACKGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
After smoking for about 10 years and quitting here and there for small amounts of time (and never lasting) i'll tell you how i quit this last time. (going on 3 months now) It is ALL in you head! Convince yourself that this is the life altering change you WANT to and NEED to make and you CAN and WILL do it. I have totally convinced myself that cigarettes are by far the worst thing I can possibly do for myself. I can't even smell a cigarette now without being totally disgusted! I have no craveings, even when i drink my morning coffee and after my meals, which was always my MUST smoke times. I have also minimized my drinking drastically and don't crave them if i do decide to have a beer.

Training is the best thing you can possibly do for yourself! I started training again after about a 2 year lay off. I couldn't make it through the first 10 minutes of class without practically passing out. I couldn't catch that deep breath i needed. Now i feel 100 times better, still not where i want to be, but i will get there soon enough. When you feel yourself getting better and better and being able to train longer and harder it becomes like a test. I feel I have to prove to myself how much farther i can go. You also gain a sense of pride and confidence because you're achieving the goals you set for yourself. Its a real boost in self esteem.

My only drawback was that i gained about 8 - 10 pounds because of it. Since training Ive lost about 12 pounds, so i guess it really wasn't a drawback after all.

It was the best thing i've ever done for myself, i wish i took so many peoples advice and done it years ago. Prove to yourself you can do it! Believe in yourself that you can do it! You owe it to yourself!

ACKGuy

OP
meta

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's time for an update... It's been over 21 days since I quit. The first 3 days have been the worst ones. I didn't realize that my smoking was a full-fledged addiction, and I wasn't prepared for the physical signs of withdrawal, but, luckily, I survived. :)

I became mildly depressed after quitting, so I started taking St. John's wort, which usually helps when I'm feeling down (I have a history of severe clinical depression, but thankfully that hasn't been an issue for years). I missed quite a few classes at the university because of this, so I have to catch up now, but it was all worth it.

My karate training helped me enormously. I find that when I'm in the dojo, my mind is totally focused on what I'm doing instead of thinking and worrying about all sorts of things.

Thank you to all who responded. It really meant a lot to me.

Heather, thanks for the link. It sure made me smile.

You are clearly a fearless master of excellence!

:rofl:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it's time for an update... It's been over 21 days since I quit. The first 3 days have been the worst ones. I didn't realize that my smoking was a full-fledged addiction, and I wasn't prepared for the physical signs of withdrawal, but, luckily, I survived. :)

Hey, Meta, you're doing great! Keep up the good work---from this point on, my ex-smoker friends tell me, it gets easier and easier every week. Just stay away from situations and environments which you associate with smoking as the `default' activity, and you'll be fine.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great work, hope it gets easier every day. I admire your determination.:ultracool

Latest Discussions