Quick Question

K

khadaji

Does anyone one what those things they have in some martial arts movies, that they use for striking practic are actualy called?

I have seen Bruce Lee, and Jacky Chan as well as others use these in some of their movies. They look like a coat hanger, with several arms sicking out of the sides. A tall pole of wood, with wood pegs stiking out. I also wonder if they actualy work as they do in the movies.

I was talking to my brother the other day, joking about getting one. But now i am am curious as to what they are, are they actualy used, and/or can be obtained.

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
the 'wooden man' is often called a Mook jung or Muk Yang Jong. There are several varieties available, depending on what your specific workout needs are.

The wooden dummy is a training device that is used in many different systems of Chinese martial arts. There are many different designs for wooden dummies. Certain designs are used to highlight particular attributes in martial arts practitioners.

The dummy is often used by systems to develop "toughness" in the limbs and striking surfaces. Some systems also develop sensitivity and trapping skills by flowing around the dummy's arms.

Correct distancing and body positioning can also be enhanced with the use of the dummy. Incorrect body alignment, negative hip orientation will result in a person kicking being pushed backwards, as the dummy's body had no give except for the flexing of its support beams

Latest Discussions