Favorite Martial Arts Movies

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen all the Ip Man movies, The Perfect Weapon with Jeff Speakman, many Bruce Lee movies, some Jackie Chan stuff which I'm not crazy about.
I want to watch a good martial arts movie I haven t seen yet. I prefer it to be in English but if it's a good enough movie, I'll read subtitles.
What's everyone's favorites?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many Bruce lee movies? There's only 5 of them lol

Ones j can off the top of my head. Never back down (all 3 of them are good) undisputed 2,3 and 4 and best of the best

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of MA movies. Typically bad acting, stereotypical plot, and unrealistic MA. They just don’t hold my attention.

That being said, The Last Samurai is one of my favorite movies, regardless of genre. And I’m not a Tom Cruise fan.

Fight Club is one of my favorite movies too. Pretty sure it doesn’t count as an MA movie, but it’s got a lot of fighting.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the old wuxia films. You have the well known ones like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hero", "House of flying knives" etc, but there are other lesser known ones like "The Swordsman" and "Call of Heroes" that are very good. If alternatively you want something a bit grittier and more "realistic" the Tony Jaa films are very good, with the benefit that he does all his own stunts and fight scenes without any ropes, etc.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rocky, there's dozen of them, lost count, anything with Jason Statham in is worth a watch, apart from fast and furious which are all dreadful, not seen a Bruce lee film since i saw them in the flicks when they were new, they were &&&&then, i bet they haven't improved with age

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am the rare Jackie Chan fan, I think he is funny in most of his movies. I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies really, but I used to love some of the older Van Damme ones. The Matrix? lol

I do also like Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and Chow Yun Fat movies.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
anything with Jason Statham in is worth a watch, apart from fast and furious which are all dreadful

Snatch is one of my favorites. Forgot about that one.

And I’m with you on the Bruce Lee movies. They just don’t do anything for me.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story wasn’t half bad. I guess a movie about him is far better and entertaining than any movie he’s made.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Snatch is one of my favorites.

One of my favorites

tumblr_om1xkjZuQG1smsmqro1_500.gif

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just about any of them. Jackie Chan’s for action comedy. Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Van Damme for old school action. The newer crop of movies is pretty good too.

Does Pirates of Penzance count?

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The older jackie chan movies. I'm a sucker for goofy comedy. The Foriegner was great action and storyline, but I guess I expected somtging more family friendly like jackie's other films. I'm not one for foul language or intimate scenes. However, it did remind me why it's unwise to pick on old men.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was another thread like this quite some time ago. In that one I mentioned liking Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I thought they masterfully made even the fantastic MA seem plausible. The first time I saw it was in a theater and there were subtitles. For me at least, that made it easier to enjoy the music. How fantastic it was. I then got a copy of it and tried it without subtitles. To me, it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I couldn't enjoy the music.

EDIT: Does anybody remember the name of the movie that started out with a dog walking around a village with a hand in its mouth?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Snatch is one of my favorites. Forgot about that one.

And I’m with you on the Bruce Lee movies. They just don’t do anything for me.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story wasn’t half bad. I guess a movie about him is far better and entertaining than any movie he’s made.
You could probably do a good thesis, on the cultural effects of the Bruce Lee movies, at least in the UK they Had a profound And long lasting effect on 14 yo, the problem being once you reach a slightly greater level of maturity, they Are just awful

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jackie Chan's Who Am I has one of the best fight scenes in any movie. It's at the end of the movie, and really you could just watch the fight on YouTube. But it's one of the few two-on-one fights.

Ong Bak, Thai Warrior was a very fun movie. He uses no wires or special effects to do his stunts in that movie. It's in Thai, but it has some great displays of martial arts.

I'm going to echo Undisputed 3 & 4. Some excellent martial arts. (Haven't seen 2)

Ninja Assassin was definitely on the unrealistic side, but I love the weapon that Reizo uses (a long chain with a short sword on the end).

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
:) I haven't seen it, just googled, but it does look interesting, I might have to check it out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Budo, the Art of Killing. For a karate man, anyway. Worth watching the two minute trailer.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For realistic self-defense, I recommend A History Of Violence.
For a great chop-socky movie, I recommend The Forbidden Kingdom.

Latest Discussions